Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-02-2017, 09:37 AM   #1
Tim Ayers

Default Without picts. it's hard to say, looking for rough value of mint original fenders

I'm moving forward with my Roadster project. I know this may ruffle some feathers here, but I'm going fenderless. My car is a '28 Roadster (April '28 build). I've posted this before, but I got the car from the original owners family.

Bought it new in June of '28 and took it off the road in 1940. I have the original dealer's envelope and '28 NJ title.

The owner loved the car and took it all apart to store it. So, that said, the fenders are super nice. Original black paint on them that can be made presentable. No breaks, dings, rot on the fronts. Aprons are as nice as are the running boards.

The rears are as nice as the fronts on the parts you can see. They must have been stored somewhere that the part that bolts to the body got wet for there is rot on these areas. Amazingly, once bolted to the car, you don't see the damage do they can be fixed and used without much work showing.

I've decided to sell or trade these fenders. What is the going value of super clean, straight original fenders. I would post pictures, but they are currently at my parents house. I plan to grab them in the next few weeks.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S.: My car is an AR car for the e brake is punched into the left sub rail and the apron has the punched cut out as well.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:21 AM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: Without picts. it's hard to say, looking for rough value of mint original fenders

Please Post Pictures,may get you better money?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg walter dripping nose.jpg (19.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-02-2017, 10:32 AM   #3
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Without picts. it's hard to say, looking for rough value of mint original fenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary WA View Post
Please Post Pictures,may get you better money?!
Yes, will do. Sorry, just got a lot of irons in the fire right now. Will grab them as soon as possible.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:42 AM   #4
glenn in camino

Hundreds at least. If you're not in a hurry, bring them to the swap meet in Reno at the MAFCA national meet next June 24th-28th.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
Kevin in NJ

You know in NJ I believe you are required to have fenders.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:56 AM   #6
Tim Ayers

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
You know in NJ I believe you are required to have fenders.
Required and enforced are two different things.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:52 PM   #7
Jw

don't sell them as you will have sellers remorse
Jw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 03:44 PM   #8
Frank Miller

To answer your question here is some data. I had two really nice 31 fenders at Hershey a couple of years ago that I sold for 1600 dollars. Repos are 600 apiece and there is a lot of work to get one to fit. The 28-29s are better as far as reproduction. I would ask at least what those go for new. I was asking 1000 apiece for the ones I had and there was a restorer from St Louis who looked long and hard at them. He did not fault my reasoning. They ended up going to a guy from Michigan. Hope this helps.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:51 PM   #9
ronn

How long do you have to sell them? they will be worth more in 10 years..........

or less next week.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:05 PM   #10
700rpm

So you have an AR roadster that you got from the original buyers with original papers, and want to part it out and devalue it. I can NOT understand how someone would be fortunate to have such a rare piece of Model A history and not respect it for what it is. "Ruffled feathers" doesn't even come close to what I think about this.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 11-02-2017 at 04:22 PM.
700rpm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:21 PM   #11
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
So you have an AR roadster that you got from the original buyers with original papers, and want to part it out and devalue it. I can NOT understand how someone would be fortunate to have such a rare piece of Model A history and not respect it for what it is. "Ruffled feathers" doesn't even come close to what I think about this.
I truly hear you and I thought long and hard (15 years in fact), but my heart wants to go a different direction with the car.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:23 PM   #12
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
To answer your question here is some data. I had two really nice 31 fenders at Hershey a couple of years ago that I sold for 1600 dollars. Repos are 600 apiece and there is a lot of work to get one to fit. The 28-29s are better as far as reproduction. I would ask at least what those go for new. I was asking 1000 apiece for the ones I had and there was a restorer from St Louis who looked long and hard at them. He did not fault my reasoning. They ended up going to a guy from Michigan. Hope this helps.
Frank,

It does. Thank you. I had the same thought about the price of repops and my fenders. These could be cleaned up and put on an original finish car and they'd look better paint wise.

I'm in the same ball park as you. Once I get them back to my house, I will clean them up and but them in the swap section. I really don't want to ship these.

They will be sold with the aprons and running boards too.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:16 PM   #13
History

I collect militaria, ww2 mainly. Original and with bring back papers always brings the most, even when things aren't selling, they do. If I were you I would sell the (entire) car and get another for the project you want. I'm thinking you might actually get what you want and make a profit too. It's worth a shot as original doesn't come around often.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:30 PM   #14
1crosscut

Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post
I collect militaria, ww2 mainly. Original and with bring back papers always brings the most, even when things aren't selling, they do. If I were you I would sell the (entire) car and get another for the project you want. I'm thinking you might actually get what you want and make a profit too. It's worth a shot as original doesn't come around often.
I agree.... Sorry Tim I don't want to "Ruffle" your feathers but this justs makes me sad.

Sell the car keeping it "alive" and hot rod one that has lost it's history. Odds are you will come out $$$$$$'s ahead.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:06 PM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
I agree.
Keep this nice piece of history complete, sell it to someone who appreciates it, buy one better suited to be fenderless, and you should be money ahead besides saving a nice original.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:32 PM   #16
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

I agree. Sell it as a complete car to someone who will keep it original. You can use the money to buy a Brookville Roadster body.

Depending on what you want to do they sell 28-29 and 30-31 bodies and stock frames. They also sell those bodies to fit a 32 frame and the the 32 frames. A lot easier than restoring an 87 year old body and frame. Check out their web site.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:37 PM   #17
Ed

Since you have an original early production car, I would keep these parts so you can bring it back to original if you decide to do so in the future.
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:24 PM   #18
ronn

Tim,
you asked the wrong question from the wrong crowd.

you would be better served on the Hamb ......

hence the answers you are recving.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote