Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2017, 11:11 AM   #1
BillEbob

Smile Newbie to Model A's

Greetings All!

Strange at my age to be called a 'newbie' but, yes, that's what I am both to this forum and to Model A's.

I have been a Mustang aficionado for 20 years, owning a '68 Coupe and a '69 Convertible (both were 1 owner cars!) (the convertible I restored to concours.) The convertible has won "GOLD" at National MCA Shows. Additionally, I became an MCA (Mustang Club of America) Certified Judge.

Now I am feeling the urge to change gears and learn about the Model A. My plans are to sell the '68 to be able to afford an "A." I have joined the local MAFCA Model A Club in Albuquerque, "Poco Quatros" -- a really great group of folks, extremely knowledgeable about A's. Too, I purchased Les Andrews' book (having perused it cover to cover) and also ordered a copy of Mike's Catalog pouring over it like a kid with a new comic book.

The Model A coupe (and it's soft topped brother) really attract my attention but I don't know if I can get my fat belly and legs into one and be comfortable. I spoke with one club member (at the State Fair display) who told me that with his Deluxe Coupe he has to enter through the passenger door and slide over because the fender-mounted spare keeps the (very small) door from opening widely enough for entrance and egress.

Is it possible that one of you nice folks would be willing to furnish me with a couple of dimensions? 1) how wide is the (driver's) door opening on a 5-winow coupe (without fender-mounted spare) and 2) what is the distance from the leading edge of the steering wheel to the back cushion of the seat?

I do believe that these measurements might give me a clue as to whether I might fit or not. (I have a replaced left knee that gives me fits trying to get that leg into most modern cars!) Luckily, the doors of my convertible Mustang are wide enough to allow me entrance without too much difficulty.

I saw a video of a '30 Coupe advertised on West Coast Classic Cars' website that showed a replaced steering wheel that 'appeared' to be adjustable. Are there indeed replacements like that available?

Thanks for your help in this new odyssey of finding a "good fit" for me!

Bill in Albuquerque
BillEbob is offline   Reply With Quote