Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #41
Railcarmover
BANNED

Default Re: Detergent oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
One thing that we tend to overlook is detergent oils do suspend dirt and soot, in turn circulating them through the engine bearings and other wear points. *Non-detergent oil allows the dirt and soot to settle out into the pan.

This is why I am a proponent of adding filters to the Model A, both oil and air filters.

*I'm not proposing anyone use non-detergent oil, I use Chevron Delo 400 15w40.
Thats the point of suspension sir,to keep the debris suspended in the oil keeps them from depositing on the bearings..the debris and particulate I'm referring to are too small to be trapped by the filter. Delo 400,Rotella or any 15-40 API CJ-4 provides the best protection In my opinion.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:16 PM   #42
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
Thats the point of suspension sir, to keep the debris suspended in the oil keeps them from depositing on the bearings..
And I wasn't disagreeing with you, Sir. And that is why I still advocate using an Air Filter and an Oil Filter. Yes, some of the smaller "particulate" won't be filtered, but larger particles will... before they get to the bearings.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 08-13-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #43
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Interesting..my experience with viscosity modifiers comes with higher soot numbers during analysis,acid build up and a subsequent drop in viscosity signaled breakdown..oil looked like black water..not arguing your findings,its entirely possible to fail 'up' the chain..my history is almost 100% diesel.
My take on this is that Diesels burn so little fuel at idle that the cylinder walls are cool enough that some fuel 'condenses' instead of vaporizing so it doesn't all burn and some gets past the rings into the crankcase, thus diluting the oil resulting in lower viscosity. Gasoline engines, on the other hand, will evaporate any gas out of the oil since gas vaporizes at a much lower temperature than diesel fuel.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #44
H. L. Chauvin

Bit of Financial Advice:

If any Model A guy ever looks on the NY Stock Exchange and sees a new company listing. e.g.,

"Model A OiL - Exclusively Designed for Model A's"

Pass it up ..... nobody on this Model A Forum will buy this crap.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 08-13-2017 at 01:28 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:09 PM   #45
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
And I wasn't disagreeing with you, Sir. And that is why I still advocate using an Air Filter and an Oil Filter. Yes, some of the smaller "particulate" won't be filtered, but larger particles will... before they get to the bearings.
Its all good from my view,please don't take me wrong. The more filtration the better,as fars as Im concerned..though the aftermarket bypass filters would take about thirty years to filter the crankcase .

You have an interesting theory on dilution effects 40 Deluxe..No doubt about the gasoline evaporation effect,but the unburnt fuel that does get passed the rings carries soot and is very acidic.In my opinion it causes breakdown of the oil and contributes to bearing failure.I still see the advantages of the CD oils as opposed to the SN oils with the A engine..the CD oils are more tolerant of gasoline washing past the rings due to its superior detergent and soot entrainment qualities.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:30 PM   #46
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Bit of Financial Advice:

If any Model A guy ever looks on the NY Stock Exchange and sees a new company listing. e.g.,

"Model A OiL - Exclusively Designed for Model A's"

Pass it up ..... nobody on this Model A Forum will buy this crap.
I disagree, as often as this comes up and given all the different recommendations, a whole lot of people would buy it.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:39 PM   #47
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
The more filtration the better, as fars as Im concerned..though the aftermarket bypass filters would take about thirty years to filter the crankcase .
I agree. I would only use a full flow filter system such as the one offered by Mike's "A" Fordable.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:36 AM   #48
Kevin in NJ

Here is a question..

Who knows of any recent engine that has had issues with dirt causing pre-mature wear and failure?

Who knows of any recent engine that has failed because the oil went bad?

So far I have never heard of any, modern or old normal engines that may have failed because the oil failed or too much dirt caused it to fail. Of course, I want to hear some science to back up the diagnosis, not 'it must have been the oil'.

All the A engines that I have seen failed have been because something was built wrong or it was just plum wore out from tens of thousands of miles.

You all just worry too much about stuff that makes no sense. The car does not need filters. It does not need fancy nothing. It just needs loving care in the building and it you can run it regularly and it is ready to run the next day, for decades!! You do not need to baby it either. If it is balanced right the engine will be happy run.

How do I know this?

I have listen carefully to the guys who have run for tens of thousands of miles. They have tried everything and the common thread with these guys is they know Fords original specs and the build to them. They do not bother with all the speed stuff (they all have tried it), some have counter balanced cranks and some have overdrives. They all think nothing of running 55 MPH all day long.

Quit worrying about he oil.
Use something with additives, do not change it too often, go drive.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:54 AM   #49
Gaspumpsam

Thumbs up Re: Detergent oil

Kevin in NJ
Very well said!!!
Gaspumpsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:32 AM   #50
Railcarmover
BANNED

No argument over the simplicity and robust characteristics of the car in stock form,and I agree spending thousands of dollars chasing speed from an L head 4 cylinder 200 cubic inch engine is at best a lesson on disappointment. But I do see modern oil as a way of improving the chances of what you have lasting longer,oil and air filtration are proven to extend engine life.

I see the full flow as the answer as well Y Block...just wonder if flow and pressure should be improved before adding the restriction of a filter.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:12 AM   #51
H. L. Chauvin

Model A oil appears to be like personal liquor choices where some like white wine; some red; some dark beer; some light beer; some scotch, some bourbon; some gin; some vodka; some no alcohol.

Next comes the mix & additives; One shot, two shots plus MMO, stabilizers, and other additives.

Model A owners will always have different mindsets and different choices where one (1) oil will never corner the market no matter who prepares the marketing.

A bar that sells only gin will also go broke in a hurry.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 08-14-2017 at 09:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-14-2017, 09:24 AM   #52
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Model A oil appears to be like personal liquor choices where some like white wine; some red; some dark beer; some light beer; some scotch, some bourbon; some gin; some vodka; some no alcohol.

Next comes the mix & additives; One shot, two shots plus MMO, stabilizers, and other additives.

Model A owners will always have different mindsets and different choices where one (1) oil will never corner the market no matter who prepares the marketing.

A bar that sells only gin will also go broke in a hurry.
Very well put. I do however like my gas with MMO. I don't drink.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #53
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
I see the full flow as the answer as well Y Block...just wonder if flow and pressure should be improved before adding the restriction of a filter.
I believe the stock Model A oil pump, being a positive displacement pump, is more than capable of putting out more than enough pressure to overcome the restriction of an oil filter. The reason a stock Model A without filter has low oil pressure is the pump is pumping into a open space, the valve chamber, without any back pressure.

We sure have traveled far from the original question...
Old 08-14-2017, 11:47 AM   #54
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
Here is a question..

Who knows of any recent engine that has had issues with dirt causing pre-mature wear and failure?

Who knows of any recent engine that has failed because the oil went bad?

So far I have never heard of any, modern or old normal engines that may have failed because the oil failed or too much dirt caused it to fail. Of course, I want to hear some science to back up the diagnosis, not 'it must have been the oil'.
Don't know but I have seen (and heard) many more modern cars running like crap because of stuck hydraulic lifters... could it have been caused by dirt and varnish??
Old 08-14-2017, 12:41 PM   #55
H. L. Chauvin

Did anyone notice that of all the different oils discussed on Model A Forums over the past 20 years, nobody ever mentioned Croton Oil, a Detergent Oil that was still being sold in drug stores during Model A days.

I used to hear the old people, (born in the late 1800's), talk about a person in our neighborhood who placed one drop of Croton Oil in the Punch Bowl at a Dance Party.

The Party was over in minutes ...... when discussing detergent oil, Croton Oil was real Detergent Oil.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #56
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Don't know but I have seen (and heard) many more modern cars running like crap because of stuck hydraulic lifters... could it have been caused by dirt and varnish??
Were they stuck or collapsed? I'm thinking the later. GM lifters love to leak down in the night so they need to be pumped back up the first few miles of running in the morning. Sounds like a box of rocks in a garbage disposal chatter. Fords from my experience are the other way and collapse once the oil thins out. Both problems caused by seals that are worn out.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:06 PM   #57
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
Were they stuck or collapsed? I'm thinking the later. GM lifters love to leak down in the night so they need to be pumped back up the first few miles of running in the morning. Sounds like a box of rocks in a garbage disposal chatter. Fords from my experience are the other way and collapse once the oil thins out. Both problems caused by seals that are worn out.
Didn't know there are seals in hydraulic lifters!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:47 PM   #58
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
thats what make them hydraulic - tappets or solid lifters are just that. no cushioning effect and thus must adjust valves and worry about zinc levels in modern engines (jeeps 4.0 straight 6 for example)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lorANZ1Tptw

crude but shows how a hyd lifter works - some have seals some are extreme tight machining processes that act as a seal but wear increases the gap with time so as oil heats up it sounds like box o rocks cuz no pressure. but yes they can get stuck (generally from too much wear and parts bind) but from what ive seen and experienced they usually are worn out/leaky.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:51 PM   #59
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
me neither
Old 08-14-2017, 11:26 PM   #60
H. L. Chauvin

Are we really slipping that much with just a little over 2,000 viewers for this round of Detergent Oil?

Some times back the subject "Oil Change" hit over 14,000.

White Wall Tires might still be in the lead .... they topped 15,000 viewers.

"Air filters" & "MMO" did not do bad either.