Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-26-2020, 05:35 PM   #1
poolplayer1

Default Ford 2100 Carburetor Question:

I am trying to get this new/rebuilt carb.to work on my 302 engine. Its suppose to be a 2100 but I don't think it is.I am going to upload pictures of the carb.
When I put the base gasket on the carb.you can see where the gasket does not cover all the bottom base an therefore vacuum is leaking and the engine will not idle. This new carb.has an electric choke,the choke on mine uses exhaust vacuum.Also,there are 5 vacuum ports on the new one that I don't need but I can just plug them up.Let me know what I can do to see if I can get this thing to work on my engine. Thank you very much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maria's Pictures 8-26-20 027.jpg (39.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Maria's Pictures 8-26-20 025.jpg (40.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Maria's Pictures 8-26-20 024.jpg (38.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Maria's Pictures 8-26-20 026.jpg (69.4 KB, 43 views)
poolplayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:49 PM   #2
JeffB2

Default Re: Ford 2100 Carburetor Question:

You might be missing this part for things to line up,very common on two barrel 302's https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-2-barr...cAAOSwbopfRUTy
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:22 PM   #3
darrell

this is a later 2100 carb from the early 70s.you can get a thick gasket its about 1/4 inch thick that will seal.ive used them before.ask for a 73 thick gasket i just bought one last year.napa should have one.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:47 PM   #4
packrat5
BANNED

You are trying to put a 2150 style carb on a 2100 style intake. As it is, it obviously won't work. I have been trying to get a machinist friend to make me about a dozen adapter/spacers, but he "a little bit behind". Those 2150 carbs are very good, a little more complex than 2100 carbs but, they are much more refined, if you will, and unlike most 2100 carbs, will support vacuum add-ons like a PCV, and a thermostat controlled air cleaner. The 1/4 inch thick gasket won't work. It's a gasket, not a spacer/adapter. The 1.21 venturi carb will flow similar to the 350 cfm Holley, but with better gas mileage, and no chronic leaks.
What's that old saying, "do it right, or do it over" applies here.
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 05:39 AM   #5
darrell

these gaskets were used for years i used to see them all the time when i worked at a garage in the 80s.they only cost a few bucks give it a try.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:47 PM   #6
poolplayer1

Thanks Guys for your help and suggestions. The adaptor that jeff shows in the link,I already have.My oem 2100 uses that adaptor.
I have a box with several carburetor parts and while checking,I did find a thick gasket like the one darrell mentioned here thats about 1/4 inch thick.I put it on the base of the new carb. and this gasket does cover the complete base,no gaps at all. The only difference that I see between the 2 gaskets is that the oem gasket ( which does not fit the new carb.)has 2 small holes in the middle of the gasket where as the thick gasket does not have those 2 holes.
Do you think it will still work ok? I will post a picture of both gaskets so you can see the difference. I also tried the thick gasket on the adaptor and it does fit correct.So,if the 2 small holes on the gasket are not needed,I will use the thick gasket and install the new carb. and see how it works.
Thanks again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 011.jpg (57.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 08-27-2020, 04:43 PM   #7
packrat5
BANNED

I worked in garages since 1958 until my retirement, and still do on occasion. I was not taught, and never subscribed to the practice of "easier or cheaper is acceptable", and never will. If you want to try this, get a 2150 spacer, clean it up really good, and fill the void on the underside with J-B weld, and sand it smooth. I made one and finished it up, it looked really good. I looked at it and looked at it again, and threw it in the junk. I didn't trust the filler constantly being soaked with gas, and being heated and cooled over and over again. I stand by my opinion of a gasket is just that a gasket, not something to bridge a gap.
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 05:01 PM   #8
poolplayer1

Well,I did go ahead and used the thicker gasket at the base of the carburetor,put it on the engine,fired it up and it does run.The engine will stay running but the problem is that as I accelerate the throttle,it pulls back,hesitating. In other words,If I am at 1200 rpm and try to rapidly increase to 2500rpm,it hesitates. I think I will just put my old 2100 carburetor back in the car and use that one.I put a carb.kit last year on it and its doing pretty good.
Thanks for all the good advice and suggestions.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:01 PM   #9
Daves55Sedan

Tell ya what. If your intake manifold has the two holes in between the venturis that mate with the two little holes in your old gasket, but the new gasket (which does fit the new carb), but does not have the two little holes, I suggest getting a hollow punch set and duplicate the correct size holes to match the intake manifold.
You can accurately locate the holes in the gasket by setting the gasket on the intake manifold and press a worn (rounded) oversize center punch over the gasket and move it around till it "finds" the hole and press down firmly. Take the gasket off and set it on a clean flat surface upside down so you can see the impression your center punch made real well. Now punch the gasket out with a properly sized hole-punch.
I'm not real familiar with the '57 and later carbs, but in the older style bug-sprayer carbs (Ford EBU, Holley 2100, ECG, etc) there is one hole and passageway at bottom of carb valve base for vacuum to operate the power valve. That could be the cause of your hesitation upon accelleration. There's no vacuum if the gasket blocks it off.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:24 PM   #10
poolplayer1

Thanks Dave.I will check the intake in the morning and than go from there.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:53 PM   #11
rotorwrench

Both carbs are 2100 series but they were made so many years that there are all sorts of variations. A person really should choose one that fits the application of the engine & manifold as originally intended. After 1970 all sorts of smog controls were installed and tried and they can be problematic to recreate on a custom application where emissions controls are not necessary or practical.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:44 PM   #12
scicala

The original version for '57 through the 60's is a 2100. They changed to 2150's a lot later on.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote