Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-02-2019, 09:30 PM   #1
PatrickTA

Default 32 Ford Model B jumps out of 2nd

Hello
I have a 32 Ford that I’m currently working on. Problem I have is it won’t stay in 2nd unless your hold it. Shifts great, runs great.
The car is an Model B engine and 32 transmission. Transmission has been converted to Syncros already.
Sounds like a bad synchro ring?
Thanks Patrick
PatrickTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:00 PM   #2
cas3

Default Re: 32 Ford Model B jumps out of 2nd

it can be a lot of things. the syncro ring puts it into gear, and does nothing to hold it in. thats done by the detents on the shift tower for one, and by the correct end play on the main shaft. if its really a B transmission with the late (39 &up) syncros, there are some tricks to put that together. so...if it was done by you or who ever, was it ever done with all new bearings and thrust washers? if so, how long ago? any metal in the oil? lots of wear on lots of parts can do this, but the easy place to start is pull the shift tower off the top, take it apart and see that the detent notch on the shift rails are in good shape, and the balls are nice and round, and the springs are not broken, and the whole channel that those parts live in is not full of gunk that wont allow the spring to push the ball to hold it in gear. thats the easy first place to check
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:49 PM   #3
PatrickTA

Thanks for the help
I didnt convert the transmission over. I went thru it, cleaned and reassembled with new bearings. I’d imigine it must be missing a thrust washer then. From what I remember this wasn’t much play in the main shaft. I know it is engaging fully into gear.
The shift tower I went thru it as well. It has new detents and springs. I used a stone to sharpen and clean up the notches in the shafts. And fixed the shifter handle ends. They are nice and round too.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:05 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Might give VanPelt a call.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:09 PM   #5
rotorwrench

They were synchronized for 2nd & high gear starting in 1932. Play is generally what causes these old units to pop out of gear. The cluster gear can have too much end play. All of the older units are adjusted with shims on the thrust bearing as long as the case is still in good shape. The 2nd gear can have too much play on the main output if the bushing or shaft has too much wear. Uneven tooth wear on gears or wear on bearing journals can have an effect. The clearances for all this stuff is not mentioned much in the old overhaul literature. Mac VanPelt's early Ford transmission book has more info than most any old Ford literature. The shift tower detents have been mentioned but they can only apply so much holding force on the designs prior to 1938 or so even when in good condition. Once they went to helical cut gears, the end play became critical for the gears to stay in mesh. Spur types don't have much side load but helical types do. Under load they thrust one way and under deceleration, they thrust the other way. Once it's shifted to high gear, it's just coupled shaft to shaft for a 1:1 ratio so there is no thrust load in high gear.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-03-2019 at 01:20 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:54 PM   #6
1931 flamingo

Worn pilot bearing??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:03 PM   #7
Dodge

Buy Van Pelts book on the transmissions. It goes thru every thing you should do to rebuild the transmission. He goes into great detail. There’s more to it than just putting in syncros and bearings. He’s also great on the phone if you have questions after reading the book.
And great to buy parts from.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:39 PM   #8
PatrickTA

Thanks for all the help.
I will buy the book from Van Pelt.
Thanks
Old 06-03-2019, 04:56 PM   #9
Cool 33

One of my friends always says that it is a deluxe transmission with 'auto matic' neutral. Lol. My dad taught me at a very early age to always to hold the shift lever firmly in second on the 50 F-1 that he bought new and didn't abuse and it wasn't really high mileage at the time. I have only seen a few since that did not jump out of second upon deceleration.
Cool 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:02 PM   #10
tubman

Or, maybe you could be like the early Stock Car racers and put a big hook on the dash to catch the shift lever.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote