Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2015, 01:13 PM   #1
crazy redneck

Default To repeat........

48-52 f-1 near stock 8ba 2x2 or 4bbl is there a cam that will give some lope without killing low end torque?
crazy redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:23 PM   #2
Scotty's 52 F3

Default Re: To repeat........

chap52 has a 52 F1 with 8BA 2X2 and a cam with some lope. If he doesn't chime in maybe PM him and see how he likes it.
Scotty's 52 F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
chap52

As Scott said, I used a Howard M-6 grind, considered a 3/4 cam. Nice lope. It was recommended and purchased through Eric at Go Cat Speed Shop in Colorado. Go to his web site www.gocatspeedshop.com where he has several videos of many of the builds he has done in several configurations. These are complete with sound, so crank up the volume and enjoy. I am sure that you will find the sound you are looking for there.
Eric was very helpful and can be reached at (720) 284-1790.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:58 PM   #4
WestCoast

there are several good cams that will give your engine the nostalgic lope, but its the mufflers and headers that will give you that good old time sound
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:57 PM   #5
jetmek

Isky max 1 is an excellent low-midrange cam
Old 12-22-2015, 06:10 PM   #6
Ross F-1

I'd assume the OP is going to do something to bring the RPM's down from the stock gearing for highway cruising? If so, camming it up is likely to be counterproductive.

If you want it to lope, just open up the idle mix jets until you hit a rich rolling idle...
Old 12-23-2015, 06:38 PM   #7
crazy redneck

Hi ross,thanks for the info.What kind of displacement and intake are running? How that cam do in your f-1?
Old 12-23-2015, 08:19 PM   #8
Ross F-1

My engine is +.060", stock EAB cam/heads. Canadiian Merc manifold with Rochester 2G carb. I changed the rear axle to a 3.50.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:58 PM   #9
Scotty's 52 F3

I may be copying your build Ross. I have 3.73 gears. Tires will be about 32" tall though. Anything you would do different knowing what you know now?
Scott
Old 12-23-2015, 11:11 PM   #10
Ross F-1

I went with the Rochester because all the Holleys I had on it (3) leaked. I went thru 4 power valves. Since I put on the 2G, not one drop of gas has leaked. No PV issues. But it likely doesn't add anything for power.

You should be good with 3.73's and tall tires, unless you arein the northern AZ mountains?
Old 12-23-2015, 11:38 PM   #11
Scotty's 52 F3

Thanks for the feed back Ross.

I'm in flat ass Tucson. I went from the stock 4.86 gears and 34" tall tires to 3.73's and 32" tall tires so hopefully a wash there.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:58 AM   #12
scooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy redneck View Post
48-52 f-1 near stock 8ba 2x2 or 4bbl is there a cam that will give some lope without killing low end torque?
That "lope at idle" is bottom end torque going out the tail pipe. The more lope, the less bottom end torque.
Raising the compression ratio will get some of the bottom end torque back, lumpy cam and stock compression ratio are not a good combo for the street.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:06 AM   #13
38 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty's 52 F3 View Post
I'm in flat ass Tucson. I went from the stock 4.86 gears and 34" tall tires to 3.73's and 32" tall tires so hopefully a wash there.
With the gear and tire change you gain about 13 miles per hour at about 2500 r.p.m. With the old gearing and tires you got about 50 miles per hour at 2500 revs, with the new gearing and tires you get about 63 miles per hour at 2500 revs.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 04:31 PM   #14
A bones

Thumbs up Re: To repeat........

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
That "lope at idle" is bottom end torque going out the tail pipe. The more lope, the less bottom end torque.
Raising the compression ratio will get some of the bottom end torque back, lumpy cam and stock compression ratio are not a good combo for the street.
Martin.
Thanks for saying that. I wanted to, but can't consider my self an engine builder. I had a great awakening in high school physics, after years of worn out HOT ROD magazines and a few top end rebuilds. The science of our 'air pumps' became second nature. The idea of a lumpy idle being cool, when there is no plan to go racing, has always been lost on me.

I don't in any way fault Crazy Redneck for asking. My deal would be straight pipes or shorty cans - steel, glass, or empty.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:29 AM   #15
crazy redneck

Thanks for all the input.As usual,I did not make myself clear.Whether or not not i put ina hotter cam,I am going to aluminum heads.I am thinking about offy 400's.any suggestions? crazy redneck.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:37 AM   #16
A bones

No personal experience, My heads are stock. But my sketchy memory recalls reading here something about new Offy heads Not being what they were. Keep asking I'm sure somebody will chime in.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:01 PM   #17
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross F-1 View Post
I went with the Rochester because all the Holleys I had on it (3) leaked. I went thru 4 power valves. Since I put on the 2G, not one drop of gas has leaked. No PV issues. But it likely doesn't add anything for power.

You should be good with 3.73's and tall tires, unless you arein the northern AZ mountains?
Ross,

I'm kind of curious about your statement about the 2GC not adding power. I have an aluminum Canadian Merc 4 bolt manifold, and I had to bore it out a full 1/8" to match the small base 2GC I am going to use. It seems to me that is a significant increase over a Merc carb, much less a 94. Are you referring to an increase over a 94 or a Merc Holley? I seem to remember '94's are 150 cfm, while a 2GC is 250 cfm. I don't have any idea about a Merc Holley. (This is on a 255" Mercury with properly clearanced aluminum heads and an updated ignition.)

Denny
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:16 PM   #18
TStiles

Crazy, you might want to give some consideration to EAB heads vs the aluminum route. The EAB's provide good compression and are readily available. The aluminum route will certainly be more showy. It all depends on where you want to go with this...
TStiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #19
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Ross,

I'm kind of curious about your statement about the 2GC not adding power. I have an aluminum Canadian Merc 4 bolt manifold, and I had to bore it out a full 1/8" to match the small base 2GC I am going to use. It seems to me that is a significant increase over a Merc carb, much less a 94. Are you referring to an increase over a 94 or a Merc Holley? I seem to remember '94's are 150 cfm, while a 2GC is 250 cfm. I don't have any idea about a Merc Holley. (This is on a 255" Mercury with properly clearanced aluminum heads and an updated ignition.)

Denny
I was comparing it to a plain ole' Ford Holley 94. I think the 3.50 gears are borderline too steep for my altitude, so it's hard to gauge. I haven't shaved the heads, which are virgin EAB. I also have the Canadian aluminum manifold and did a little clearancing but not the full boring to adapt the 2G. I'm sure the 2G flows a lot more, not sure I can take advantage of it with my gears.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:00 AM   #20
40 Deluxe

If you want it to lope, just open up the idle mix jets until you hit a rich rolling idle...[/QUOTE]
............and proceed to wash down the cylinder walls, dilute the oil, and stink up the garage!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote