Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #1
firerod

Default '32 Roadster reverse eye springs

I have a couple of questions about reverse eye main leafs. I have a stock '32 chassis and would like to lower it. If I reverse both the front and rear springs how much lower will the car sit? If I reverse the springs myself do I need to have them heat treated or anything else? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for the advice.
firerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
32phil

Default Re: '32 Roadster reverse eye springs

New lowered springs ( fr & rr)from Posies will ( eventually, once they "settle") lower the car about 2.5".
Old 01-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
deuce_roadster

If you use the stock springs, take them to a spring shop to do it. Don't try to do it yourself. Unless you are a metallurgist and have all the necessary equipment to control the temperatures precisely, you would fail. There is more to it then heating the metal up and quenching it in oil.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #4
Mart

It's normally done cold. You first flatten the main leaf and then re-arch it the opposite way, then when inverted and reassembled the eyes are reversed. No heat required.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:41 PM   #5
Fordors

Some will use a large hammer and anvil and strike the main leaf repeatedly to reverse it's arch. While you can mark a chalk line of the m/l arch on the shop floor and duplicate that what is often overlooked is that the center to center of the spring eyes will increase. If there is enough of a change your shackles go toward vertical from the recommended angle and you lose ride quality. Main leaves with the reversed eye are available, look to Speedway Motors or Pete & Jake's for measurement tips to get a correct main leaf.
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #6
flatjack9

Take it to a sheet metal shop that has a large set of rollers. They can reverse it for you.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #7
deuce_roadster

I would love to see a video of someone straightening out the spring eye of a cold main leaf with a hammer! Ha ha.
There used to be a spring shop in Seattle near where I lived before I retired, and I watched them do this operation (reverse spring eyes) and it certainly didn't involve a hammer and anvil.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #8
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
I would love to see a video of someone straightening out the spring eye of a cold main leaf with a hammer! Ha ha.
No video, but it's been done for decades. Hammer time? Lots of labor. Spring shop? $$. New main leaf? Maybe $40.
DIY and spring shop will make the c-c dimension greater. Ever see a hot rod with the shackles approaching vertical? I have and I bet they ride like a cement truck.
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:29 PM   #9
rich b

Quote:
Reversed several main leafs with a sledge; but it was in the dark ages before video.

Hydraulic press makes it a lot easier now.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:33 PM   #10
Andy

Get a new main leaf made at a local shop. The eyes move out a bit when reversed and this lets the shackles droop more. There is very little clearance on a Deuce anyway so having the spring essentially longer does not help. Have them make the eyes 3/4 instead of 7/8 so you can have a bigger choice of shackles.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:24 PM   #11
Barn Junk

Quote:
There used to be a spring shop in Seattle near where I lived before I retired, and I watched them do this operation (reverse spring eyes) and it certainly didn't involve a hammer and anvil.
I think you missing the technique. The arch of the main leaf is reversed by striking (or pressing) the spring in a fulcrum along it's length. Then the spring is re-assembled with the bottom leaf being flipped upside down. The next leaf in the sequence usually will have to be shortened on each end so it fits between the springs eyes that are now on the top. With this process you only get about 1 1/2 inch max lowering unless you remove some leaves. Did my first one from an article in a car mag in about 1960. Cheap, worked great and the stinging in my hands only lasted about half a day.
Barn Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #12
firerod

If I reverse the leaf cold do I need to do anything else to it? is there anyplace that sells just the rear main leaf?
firerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:52 PM   #13
Fe26

No further treatment is required if you work the spring cold. However I would recommend you buy a new main leaf and reverse that or, have what you want made. These leaves are getting pretty old now and arn't as reliable as they were when new. Considering this is the most important leaf in the stack I wouldn't take the chance.

My technique is to lay the spring on a flat surface and draw a line around it. Then flatten the spring, you can use a press, a vise or a heavy hammer. Then starting at the centre hole mark lines across the spring every 2" Now you will need a Bending Plate or the opened jaws of a vise with soft rounded jaws set about 5-6". A Bending Plate is simply two round bars say about 1. 1/4-2" welded to a steel plate about 5-6" apart and they must be parallel.
It helps if you attach guides to the plate to keep it square to the bars.

Beginning at the center, position the hole over one of the bars, now strike (one big heavy blow) on the line nearest to the middle spot between the bars of the bending plate. After you settle down from the surprise of the spring bouncing off the plate, nearly missing your face and hurting your hand, you will decide to keep your head away, and to wear a welders glove. Or you will call a mate with a Press.

Move the spring along until the next line is over the plates centre and repeat the blow. This is the time you'll now count all the lines and think Geez-I've gotta beat this spring that many times? Maybe I could buy a small press...Would a bigger hammer help? The answer is yes and yes.

Repeat this process until you have hit all the lines. Now do the other side starting with the hole over one of the round bars. Keep repeating this process until the spring has a definate curve, but not yet even close to the line on the floor. You will also have a flat area near the hole. This area is a little tricky, if you hit the hole the metal each side will bend easily as there is'nt much resistance, so don't hit the hole. Take the next spring from the stack and hold it centered against the main leaf, you now have to match your flat centre section to the curve of the second leaf. When you bend this area go easy, you will notice the ends of the spring move down quite a bit when you work the center.

Now check the spring against the line, adjust the spring as necessary, always hit on the lines and always keep the spring square to the bars. If you have gone too far you can put the spring into a vice and bend it back a little.

The hammer head you use should be close in size to the width of the spring and have rounded edges so as not to mark the spring. Finish by sanding or wire brush and a coat of paint.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:52 PM   #14
APDAVE

I used a piece of 6" h beam on its side to beat again and yes it does bounce around plenty, and don't forget your ear plugs! Dave
APDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #15
alchemy

You guys who say "get a new one at your local spring shop", have you actually done this? Have they been able to make the arced rear leaf for you?

Last I checked Posies, or any other place, will not sell just a main leaf.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:30 PM   #16
Mart

Do people sell a reversed rear leaf? This spring has the curve in it (32-34 style) when viewed from above. The rear spring on my model A on 32 rails was done the old fashioned way years ago, and has worked well enough for me.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #17
Fe26

Any old fashioned Spring Maker should be able to make whatever you want. Failing that a General Blacksmith can also do this work. Also look for guys who advertise they reset springs.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #18
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemy View Post
You guys who say "get a new one at your local spring shop", have you actually done this? Have they been able to make the arced rear leaf for you?

Last I checked Posies, or any other place, will not sell just a main leaf.
I made a tracing of the curve and the placement of the eyes. Had one made at a spring shop in San Antonio. It was about $70 bucks

Last edited by Andy; 01-03-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:50 PM   #19
don35

Zenith Spring made a reversed eye main leaf for my 35. They are in Duluth Mn. I think they charged about $35 two years ago. Great people to deal with.
don35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:33 PM   #20
34Phae

Most of the street rod part suppliers sell a reversed eye main leaf. Pete & Jakes has one listed in there cat.
34Phae is offline   Reply With Quote