Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2020, 06:52 AM   #1
fundytides

Default 31 Standard Roadster Front Bow

I am still trying to determine if the front bow, which looks like it is a replacement, is correct. The other 2 bows appear original. Except for the portion that fits into the front sockets of the top frame, the front bow is wider than the frame. I want't to confirm that it is the correct width. Can anyone tell me what that width would be or what the correct "overhang" would be from the windshield to the front of the bow at the center? Are the ends gradually tapered to fit the sockets or just reduced in size at the sockets? Any information would be appreciated, drawing or picture with dimensions for the bow would be a big help. Also, what is the best plan of attack to replace the tack material in the curved sections of the bows?
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:25 PM   #2
Mike Peters

Default Re: 31 Standard Roadster Front Bow

Distance between front irons is 37". Add three or four more inches for insertion into the front top iron. Held in with two rivets on each side. Wood dimensions are 1 1/2" by 3/4" thick. Overhang is about 3 and a half inches. Front bow is a straight piece of wood. Easy to make yourself. Overhang is determined by the bracket and set screw that hooks on to the windshield post. If you don't have them, they can be ordered from vendors. Bows are wrapped with muslin cloth to match the top color. Black is correct. White canvass in NOT correct. One caveat here is that this particular standard roadster was restored in 1957, so this may or may not be exactly correct.
If you could post photos of what you have, it would help us help you. There are people here with better cars than mine who will know for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-P1150747.jpg (84.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 2-P1150748.jpg (51.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 3-P1150749.jpg (56.7 KB, 42 views)
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:38 PM   #3
fundytides

Default Re: 31 Standard Roadster Front Bow

Mike, Thanks for the great pictures and info. I just had some eye surgery today so won't get back to the garage until later in the week but will let you know how my measurements compare and will take a picture of my top frame.
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote