Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-27-2017, 08:23 PM   #41
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Sensible packaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
A few weeks ago I sent the local vintage tyre supplier an email about radial tubes (mentioned above) with the Coker order number.
They replied that they had them in stock and they are $A40 each. I queried this and never got a reply.
I found it a bit hard to believe that a tube in the US that sells for $US46 could sell for $A40 here. Maybe I've missed something.
well you are closer to Vietnam where they are made... probably dont have as many import taxes/tarrifs either.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:02 PM   #42
updraught

Seemed more like a $US14 tube to me.

I worked for a hardware/medical importer years ago. You would be surprised how many things are shipped around the world about 6 times before they land here due to economies of scale.

Basically, the importer received a container and 6 guys would unload this and pack the stuff into boxes for the courier. Then take %40 of the value of everything.

Amazon is setting up shop here soon. The general retailers are getting a bit worried.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:33 PM   #43
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
Seemed more like a $US14 tube to me.

Amazon is setting up shop here soon. The general retailers are getting a bit worried.
Or so the media would tell us! I bet none of them go out of business but I also think it will be better for the buyer. Did you see the article last night where they were say that research shows that Australian on line shoppers are the fussiest when it comes to the cost of freight? I think it was 62% did not proceed to the checkout when the cost of freight was calculated. Go figure!!
Old 07-27-2017, 10:54 PM   #44
Franchise_24

People aren't happy unless they are complaining about something.....
Old 07-28-2017, 12:00 AM   #45
updraught

The top five internet companies in the US like Google and Facebook etc. earn twice the GDP of our country.

I think Amazon will get a good deal on shipping.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:44 AM   #46
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

What does the parts dealer have to do with the cost charged to him by the shipper? How do you suggest that a parts dealer get a cheaper rate from the shipper?

I know one way, he can hold all overseas orders and ship them at once say twice a year. The large quantity of parts placed in a shipping container may get him a lower rate but are you willing to wait 6 months for parts? I'm pretty sure that is how the dealers downunder get their parts, one large shipment months apart.

It is my personal belief that your statement "..an enormous and unwarranted shipping cost.." is out of line. In three pages of this thread, you have not shown a single method of shipment that would have been less than what charged to you. I feel your allegations of padding the shipping costs to take advantage of you being in another country absurd.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:03 AM   #47
Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I think it was 62% did not proceed to the checkout when the cost of freight was calculated. Go figure!!
I do that all the time too. Only way to see if you buy it off the local dealer or the US dealer. Like you say,go figure and do the homework instead of complaining about it later like the OP.
Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:27 AM   #48
updraught

Just looking at the last emails from my last transaction.

They did the standard take for shipping (a percentage of the total) which came to $US152 for what I thought would be a flat rate box. They took a few things off the order to fit in that box. When it arrived I had no idea of shipping costs and it was difficult to figure out from the credit card due to foreign currency transactions. It took several emails to them to work out what I had been charged.

It is the "not knowing" what is going on that is the problem, rather than the cost.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:49 AM   #49
SuperDave

Nothing can top the headgasket I got from J.C. Whitney. in 1966.. Was folded in half to fit in a small box! LOL
Old 07-28-2017, 04:15 PM   #50
Mad Mac

[I][I][I][QUOTE=Mike V. Florida;1505488]How do you suggest that a parts dealer get a cheaper rate from the shipper?]

By putting the very small objects in a much smaller package?

It is my personal belief that your statement "..an enormous and unwarranted shipping cost.." is out of line. In three pages of this thread, you have not shown a single method of shipment that would have been less than what charged to you.

As already explained, when I placed the order I did not understand how the US postal service works. I made the reasonable assumption that a very small package would incur a correspondingly small shipping cost. Surely that is a natural assumption?

Last edited by Mad Mac; 07-28-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Mad Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 04:19 PM   #51
Mad Mac

My question about Brattons having shares in a shipping company was entirely tongue-in-cheek. I never imagined for one minute that they were benefiting from high shipping costs! In fact, I assumed that they simply grabbed the first box available without thinking of the cost consequences to the buyer.

I am disappointed that my original post seems to have stirred up so much ill feeling, as that was not my intention. I am happy now to let this matter rest.
Mad Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:17 PM   #52
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise_24 View Post
People aren't happy unless they are complaining about something.....
You just don't get it, do you. The fact that this thread has already gone to 3 pages speaks for itself.
As for no alternatives been suggested, I did - surface freight but that is not an option offered by the vendors.

Last edited by Synchro909; 07-28-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote