Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #21
Nabco

Default Re: Tires

On another tire subject, I need the replace the rear tires on my Model A, for those of you that do not mount them yourself who do you use to mount them, I'm going to ask Tire America tomorrow but thought I would ask.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #22
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabco View Post
On another tire subject, I need the replace the rear tires on my Model A, for those of you that do not mount them yourself who do you use to mount them, I'm going to ask Tire America tomorrow but thought I would ask.
Ask at your local club. If Tire America trys to use an automatic tire changing machine YOU KNOW YOU ARE AT THE WRONG PLACE.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 05-19-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:42 PM   #23
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
Are you referring to the ORIGINAL POSTER's Tires?
Thanks
No. The ones in my link and being sold.
They apparently haven't been made for years. The radials are now made instead.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:59 PM   #24
nhusa

My A and T went into storage in 1964 so when I got them they were over 50 years old.

I used the old T tires up to last year when I finally changed them and plan on using the tires on the A until they wear out.

If I planned to drive at high speeds or long distances I would get new ones
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:54 PM   #25
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabco View Post
I'm dealing with the same issue on my Corvette that I just bought, the tires on the car have less than 2000 miles on them but are 12 years old, just ordered 4 new Michelins almost $1400 installed, felt it was better to spend the money then lose a tire at 80 mph.
Wise move especially on a car like that. Tires sure have gotten expensive
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:41 PM   #26
DougVieyra

I totally agree with contrarian Tom Wessenberg in post #15, and posts 13,16,17, 24, etc.
There have been 17 anadocial negative comments about using 'old' tires, due to 'age'. That leaves 47 million others who are less concerned and more likely to base their decision on physical evidence of a tires visual and physical 'health', and over-all soundness of condition. In a large number of instances, even though the tire may have some unknown amount of years to its life, the over-all safety should be based on the tires actual physical condition. Very often there is no structural reason to reject such tires.
I do agree, if you plan on racing in the Daytona race, that it would be prudent to put a brand new set of tires on your car. If you are using your "touring engine" and its over-drive and speed down the freeway at 65 - 70 mph, then too a set of new tires would be called for - just to provide a prudent amount of extra caution.
However, if you are doing what the majority of Model A drivers do, 'putts' around town and slow country roads, rarely passing the 55 mph speed, then I would say the tires you purchased would be very safe.
I have seen tires that are only 2 years old and I would not want them on my car. I also have inspected tires that are twenty years old, and I would not hesitate a minute to put them on my car.
Too many people are subject to the 'safety' directions of the makers and sellers of a product. Tires are no different. However, from an imperiacle view based on actual evidence, a great many people act from fear rather than objectivity. That is the whole purpose of 'selling fear' in an 'aggressive marketing' campaign to sell a product. The evidence of such a marketing ploys success can be found on the above posts found herein.
I have not seen your tires, so would not make a judgement until doing so. However, based solely on your description I would hazard a guess that you tires are perfectly sound and worth putting on your car. Unless you drive over 55 mph on a regular basis.
Okay, now let the naysayers begin their 'howling' .

Last edited by DougVieyra; 05-20-2017 at 12:46 AM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:51 AM   #27
CarlG

RE: My post #8 above. 4 of my original tires were badly weather checked despite the low mileage. After putzing around on them for a couple of years, I happened on a set of used tires that promptly wore out. That's when I opted to spring for new radials. That decision has made driving on tours on these severely rutted roads we have here a dream.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:17 AM   #28
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Presently on our 31' Tudor, there is a matched set of SEARS-ALLSTATE zigzag pattern tires. To information, ALLSTATE stop making 19" tires like that sometime in the 1980s. So the rubber on that vehicle is at least 30 years old. Bumped into some Model T Ford lunatics who are chugging around in their Tin Lizzies with tires dating to the 1950s. Honestly, rolling around on over half-century old tires seems a little too extreme and dangerous. Just last year here in Pennsylvania, a husband and wife were killed while out for a summer evening after dinner drive. Their 1923 Ford T Model ran off the road and wrecked. The deadly accident was attributed to something to do with the tires.

When our current Model A was first acquired, the plan was to install a new set of tires. Upon careful inspection the ALLSTATE tires that are still on that car are in "excellent" condition. We even examined the tires with a magnifier and could find no cracks, drying or deterioration. Also too, those U.S.A made ALLSTATES are 4-ply and impressingly high quality.

Was about to purchase "One" NEW tire for the spare. The thing on there now is ancient and bald and covered with a goofy tire cover. Have always liked a basic raw wheel mounted on the back of a Model A with out that add on stuff. Found tires such as "Universal" brand for around $100 each with shipping. Somebody said that all of these tires nowadays are made in Vietnam and are just marginal quality. Deal is, the tire is just for a mounted rear spare to look at, so why should anyone care?

Question is . . . how good (or bad) are these modern foreign made hundred dollar 21" and 19" tires?

Last edited by Capt Quahog; 05-20-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote