Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-17-2017, 01:03 PM   #21
Boston Bruce

Default Re: Accidental Ignition "ON"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Quahog View Post
Question is . . . can I purchase a simple basic ignition switch for this A Model Ford?

And yes . . an inexpensive master cut-out switch sounds like a smart idea.
Short answers:

Yes

Don't buy anything cheap and inexpensive.
Boston Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:20 PM   #22
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Quote:
Don't buy anything cheap and inexpensive.
Hey Boston Bruce . . . ya better hustle back down into the Tremont street subway and hop a streetcar headed to Jamaica Plain. That's where dear old mom and everybody else over there believed and gave the opposite advice. She said "Always buy everything cheap, basic and inexpensive." The woman was convinced until her last day on earth that purchasing low grade crap saved money.

Of course she was constantly replacing everything in the house ever month or two as it fell apart. Thing is . . . can we even purchase quality "Made in USA" electrical components anymore?

Last edited by Capt Quahog; 05-17-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #23
henry's 31

My brake light switch used to stick all the time until I added an extra spring that would return the pedal back. I agree with Tom always check your ammeter when you exit the car.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:10 PM   #24
rbullockv8

For those of you who have installed a master cutoff switch, where/how did you install it? I've got 2 switches of different styles (one goes on the battery terminal and you unscrew the top knob to disconnect--so you have to access the battery; the other is a stand alone with red key that has to be in place to be on). I thought about installing the stand alone up through my 32 PU floorboard, but with the key in place, I'm afraid I might break it off with my foot. Plus, it makes removing the floorboard a little harder. Just wondering where you put these things.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:42 PM   #25
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullockv8 View Post
I thought about installing the stand alone up through my 32 PU floorboard, but with the key in place, I'm afraid I might break it off with my foot. Plus, it makes removing the floorboard a little harder. Just wondering where you put these things.
I put mine thru the floor just in front of the seat so I can get to it quickly if something BAD happens. I installed mine on the ground wire.

Sorry, I don't seem to have a picture from the top side...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Master.jpg (62.0 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 05-20-2017 at 11:52 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:12 AM   #26
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Always a good idea to check the ammeter each time you exit the car.

Besides leaving the key on, the brake light switch might be stuck on, or the lights turned on.
I found this in the past,

Using the ammeter for troubleshooting

How many of you actually look at your ammeter? Did you know that it can assist in troubleshooting your car when it won't start? If your A is wired as it was in 1930 and beyond and has a point ignition system as opposed to an electronic ignition, the ammeter can be of great help.

Before you start the car and turn on the key the ammeter should be at zero. Turn on the key and hit the starter without depressing the brake. The ammeter should “wiggle” a little discharge, a little zero and so on. This is because the points are usually closed and therefore you see the current draw of the ignition circuit as the points open and close. If the meter “wiggles” and the car won't start you have a fuel problem. No wiggle, electrical problem.

When you turn off the car, glance at the meter to see it is at zero before you exit the car. If not, you have a problem, most likely the brake light switch is stuck on. If you don't fix it your battery will be drained.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:54 AM   #27
BillLee/Chandler, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullockv8 View Post
For those of you who have installed a master cutoff switch, where/how did you install it? I've got 2 switches of different styles (one goes on the battery terminal and you unscrew the top knob to disconnect--so you have to access the battery; the other is a stand alone with red key that has to be in place to be on). I thought about installing the stand alone up through my 32 PU floorboard, but with the key in place, I'm afraid I might break it off with my foot. Plus, it makes removing the floorboard a little harder. Just wondering where you put these things.
See http://cedarcreekas.org/TechTopics/CutOffSwitch.pdf for how I did it.

Whatever you do, something is better than nothing, and in tech ground wire is the only place to put it for complete protection.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:36 PM   #28
rbullockv8

Super. Thanks. I was thinking that would be a good spot to mount it. In my case, the gas tank is under the seat of the 32 pickup, but I can mount it through the wooden floorboard in front of it and use a bracket attached to the steel crossmember.

Appreciate the thoughts. More minds are better than one.