Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-28-2016, 03:00 AM   #1
quickchange

Default 35 banjo steering wheel

Who is the best place to buy a 35 banjo steering wheel from , & does anyone repo the horn button or light rod , your help appreciated , thanks,
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:16 AM   #2
oldandtired

Default Re: 35 banjo steering wheel

I do not believe Ford made a 35 banjo steering wheel. You see them on redone 35's quite a bit, but I do not think the banjo came out until 1936. I am certain others will weigh in on the subject.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:06 AM   #3
weemark

agree with oldandtired, banjo wheels were not brought out until '36 however that's not to say a banjo wheel doesn't look good on a '35. I don't know of anyone replicating horn buttons or the light rod though.
weemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:50 AM   #4
flatheadfan

The banjo steering wheel was at one time repo by Drake but that was sometime ago. They were a fairly good copy but not as strong as an original. I believe the '39 repo is still available and will fit your '35. You will need the '38-'39 horn rod if you go this route. As for the the '35-'36 horn rod, it was also reproduced years ago but it is also long gone from circulation. However, both items frequently come up on eBay.

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:52 AM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

A '36 banjo steering wheel will fit and work perfectly on a '35 and most likely the earlier Ford's as well. Bob Drake once repro'd the '36 banjo wheel and I see them sometimes on eBay and several of the old Ford website classifieds. I bought one that had never been used years ago, plus have purchased several nice '36 originals in the last ten years.
The first picture is the Drake repro. You can tell the Drake wheels by the differences in the inside center hub, the way the banjo strings are welded inside the hub, and on this sample by plastic molding flash on the strings/spokes at the ring end.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 06-28-2016 at 09:58 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:43 PM   #6
Scott754

I have a '35 Fordor with a '36 Banjo wheel. It was on the car when I purchased it, so I don't know the manufacturer of the wheel. The paint on the wheel is chipping off (no cracks in the wheel) and the spokes are a little loose. Is there a relatively easy way to tighten the spokes, either re-welding or something else?
From posts in this thread, it sounds like if I don't repair mine, and replace it with a '39 wheel I would also need to replace the horn rod? Do the '39 wheels also accommodate the light switch and horn that are in the center of my wheel?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Banjo Wheel.jpg (15.5 KB, 54 views)
Scott754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:56 AM   #7
TJ

Lately the 39 repo banjo wheels have been very hard to find and the price has risen dramatically. If you buy an original banjo be sure to look for cracks in the keyway. I have a couple of V-8 friends who have encountered that problem and repair is difficult if not impossible.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:16 AM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott754 View Post
I have a '35 Fordor with a '36 Banjo wheel. It was on the car when I purchased it, so I don't know the manufacturer of the wheel. The paint on the wheel is chipping off (no cracks in the wheel) and the spokes are a little loose. Is there a relatively easy way to tighten the spokes, either re-welding or something else?
From posts in this thread, it sounds like if I don't repair mine, and replace it with a '39 wheel I would also need to replace the horn rod? Do the '39 wheels also accommodate the light switch and horn that are in the center of my wheel?
Not sure how easy/difficult it might be to tighten those banjo strings/spokes at their hub mounting. The ones I show in pictures above (one Drake repro & three originals) are all welded to a steel ring in the center hub. Maybe they could be tig welded without destroying something else in the surrounding area??

While the '38-'39 banjo wheels will fit and look good in the earlier cars, using a '35-'36 horn button/light switch rod looks funky to me in the center of later banjo wheel, IMHO. I would suggest using the horn button/light switch rod that's correct for the year banjo wheel that's used.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 03-05-2017, 11:55 AM   #9
deuce lover

FordBarn member ( alv ) in NJ sells restored ones here.I had him do mine a few yrs ago and he did a great job.Here is what Alan did for me.I chose that color to match the interior uph.

Last edited by deuce lover; 03-05-2017 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Added a pic
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:00 PM   #10
Scott754

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
FordBarn member ( alv ) in NJ sells restored ones here.I had him do mine a few yrs ago and he did a great job.
Thanks, I've sent Alv a message
Old 03-05-2017, 01:03 PM   #11
Scott754

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Not sure how easy/difficult it might be to tighten those banjo strings/spokes at their hub mounting. The ones I show in pictures above (one Drake repro & three originals) are all welded to a steel ring in the center hub. Maybe they could be tig welded without destroying something else in the surrounding area??

While the '38-'39 banjo wheels will fit and look good in the earlier cars, using a '35-'36 horn button/light switch rod looks funky to me in the center of later banjo wheel, IMHO. I would suggest using the horn button/light switch rod that's correct for the year banjo wheel that's used.
Thanks; if I changed to the horn/light switch correct for the year of the wheel, would that involve a lot of rewiring, since the lighting/horn wiring currently goes down through the steering column? (I'm not sure where the light switch is on '38-39's or how complicated a change that would be?
Old 03-05-2017, 01:51 PM   #12
TJ

Just use the 35 light switch. and wiring. It will work with the later horn rod.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:20 PM   #13
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott754 View Post
Thanks; if I changed to the horn/light switch correct for the year of the wheel, would that involve a lot of rewiring, since the lighting/horn wiring currently goes down through the steering column? (I'm not sure where the light switch is on '38-39's or how complicated a change that would be?
As TJ said, no rewiring necessary if you use horn button/light switch rod that's correct for the banjo wheel. The end of the rods have the same features, parts, and pieces that will interchange to work with the light switch that's attached to the bottom of the steering box. All you need to do is get all the pieces assembled to the end of the rod correctly so the horn button and switch tabs are in their correct location as per the photo posted by deuce lover.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:27 PM   #14
Scott754

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
As TJ said, no rewiring necessary if you use horn button/light switch rod that's correct for the banjo wheel. The end of the rods have the same features, parts, and pieces that will interchange to work with the light switch that's attached to the bottom of the steering box. All you need to do is get all the pieces assembled to the end of the rod correctly so the horn button and switch tabs are in their correct location as per the photo posted by deuce lover.
Thanks to you & TJ for that advice. Now if I can find a replacement wheel I'll make sure to get the horn/light rod to match
Old 01-02-2021, 08:49 PM   #15
Moesby

Help !! I need a 35-36 Ford horn button. With or without the long rod?!? Thanks text at 361-275-1193
Moesby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:26 PM   #16
Don Rogers

Look in the swap section. There is a 35/36 horn rod for sale.
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:26 PM   #17
gtrhotrod

It's still in parts for sale.
gtrhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote