Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #21
Benson

Default Re: Modern post manufacture shock absorbers

About VW type III shocks ... sorry maybe not everyone knows this:

The VW Type III is also known as Fastback or Squareback and these are the shocks mentioned in post #3.

Also made 1962 to 1968 in single and dual carburetored versions and called Variant or "VW 1500" outside USA.

It's the Electronic Fuel injected VW 1600 that debuted in 1969 and was made until 1973.

As I remember they have an eye on both ends like the third picture of post # 20 above.

I could check the set of Koni adjustables for the Type III that i have but at present I have not been able to remember where they are.

Last edited by Benson; 01-12-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:31 PM   #22
duke36

See Empi 9600 series; pure oil filled, no gas charged.
Eyes both ends, metric holes.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:54 PM   #23
Werner

Hi Woofa,

I had a comparible problem. The rear spring of my roadster was left very hard, right very very soft.

The blades of the spring was on the ends abrassed(?)/scratechd(?) at 0,5 mm deep.

I used

https://www.oks-germany.com/de/produ...aertend-spray/

Now the spring glides softley on both sides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1080724.jpg (83.2 KB, 19 views)

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:22 PM   #24
Kahuna

Do what Lawrie suggests, OR after cleaning, grinding the burrs, etc, buy & apply Graphite paint available at Tractor supply stores, then reassemble. This works well and doesn't require wrapping the springs, as the paint won't attract dist, etc., as the grease will.
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:59 PM   #25
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner View Post
Hi Woofa,
I had a comparible problem. The rear spring of my roadster was left very hard, right very very soft.
The blades of the spring was on the ends abrassed(?)/scratechd(?) at 0,5 mm deep.
I used
https://www.oks-germany.com/de/produ...aertend-spray/
Now the spring glides softley on both sides.
https://www.oks-germany.com/en/produ...rdening-spray/

This seems to be an air hardening molly spray. Anything the dust doesn't stick to would be good here, as some of it is very fine and in bulk quantity.
However, I can't seem to find a dealer for OKS here unfortunately. I would be happy to add it to my collection of spray cans of stuff dust doesn't stick to.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:56 PM   #26
Terry, NJ

Yes! Shocks are a pain! For mine, I used Monroe "gas-matic" #59017. These have an "eye" or ring at both ends. I found them rather easy to work with. I believe there's a sketch with two views in my album "My A" of the shock bracket. There are a left one and a right one, so they can be mirrored, but not duplicated. There is some welding involved with it so if welding is not your thing, better buy a kit.

I had my spring off so there was not a problem with lubricating it. I merely loosened the center bolt somewhat( Be very careful not to loosen it too much,Springs are very dangerous!) Besides, you're only creating a small where oil can pass through (It gets trough the .001 gap between the crank and the bearings, doesn't it?). Saturate it with oil for a day or two while the spring is on it's side. Then blow it out with compressed air and saturate it again and stand it up for a day or two so the oil penetrates down between the leaves then turn it over so the oil (STP, 600w, corn head grease, old drain oil, graphite, what have you!) seeps into the other side. When all done, tighten the center bolt to tighten the spring pack and reinstall.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #27
Werner

Hello Updraught,

yes it's like MoS2 "paint". In USA it is manufactored by Dow Corning. The general meaning is "Anti-Friction-Coatings".

The picture showes my declamped spring. Several times before I tried to get a smoother function with very thin penetrating oil (WD 40 is known in USA?). Thats no really help! You see, that the leaves are dry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1080726.jpg (102.4 KB, 21 views)

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:00 PM   #28
duke36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Yes! Shocks are a pain! For mine, I used Monroe "gas-matic" #59017. These have an "eye" or ring at both ends. I found them rather easy to work with. I believe there's a sketch with two views in my album "My A" of the shock bracket. There are a left one and a right one, so they can be mirrored, but not duplicated. There is some welding involved with it so if welding is not your thing, better buy a kit.

I had my spring off so there was not a problem with lubricating it. I merely loosened the center bolt somewhat( Be very careful not to loosen it too much,Springs are very dangerous!) Besides, you're only creating a small where oil can pass through (It gets trough the .001 gap between the crank and the bearings, doesn't it?). Saturate it with oil for a day or two while the spring is on it's side. Then blow it out with compressed air and saturate it again and stand it up for a day or two so the oil penetrates down between the leaves then turn it over so the oil (STP, 600w, corn head grease, old drain oil, graphite, what have you!) seeps into the other side. When all done, tighten the center bolt to tighten the spring pack and reinstall.
Terry
Home Depot in US has a graphite spray that appears to work well. Dries fine and can be layered to suit.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:22 PM   #29
woofa.express

Smile Re: Modern post manufacture shock absorbers

thankyou to those who gave some excellent advise. AL in NY tells me the pickup spring is more ridged than the cars so I think I'll either talk to a spring setting business or replace at least the top ridged spring. With that I will replace the shackles as well. thanks again fellas. gary

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:48 PM   #30
Lawrie

Like I said ,my 28 ccpu rides as good as my modern cars,drove it all the way to Murray Bridge on all the back roads from central Queensland as smooth as.you dont have to change the spring,
also takes loads of stuff to the tip without a drama.so it can handle a load
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:40 PM   #31
Gene F

I got a kit from the late Rainmaker Ron. Oil filled, and they are great. Been on for about 10 years, and I love em'.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote