Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-08-2018, 07:47 AM   #1
History

Default FLUSHING ENGINE, RADIATOR and Chillipad

I was hoping this would make it easier for someone to find with a search as I know there are many threads on radiators. MOD,, PLEASE DELETE IF YOU FEEL TOO REDUNDANT

Has any one ever tried a pressure washer wand placed in the head? I know there are some flexible ends that could placed inside the head so you could get a direct shot on parts that otherwise would only have flow against them. I wouldn't think the pressure would hurt anything, but,,,,,,,.

I have a water transfer pump that can also handle pressure that might work better(gas powered though). I think it can do a thousand gallons in 30 minutes. I think it's all about flow and pressure to flush correctly.

What is the very best way to clean the inside of an engine while it's still together and in the car?

The sump pump is a pretty neat idea.

Wife and I have chillipads for our bedding. We have a unit on each of our night stands that pumps water through a pad on our bed. The pad has plastic tubing that runs through it and back to the unit. You can set the temperature to whatever you want from 40 something to over 100. I keep mine a lot cooler than hers and even though I clean it as recommended, hers builds up algae(I think). I made a rig similar to the sump pump by ordering two different battery powered pumps as I wasn't sure which would provide the flow I needed to actually get crap out. I could use a little more flow than I have but I'm sure I would have already had to purchase a new pad and unit by now if I hadn't flushed them as I have.

I don't think I could make it long without my chillipad as I get very very hot while sleeping. I'm not sure what causes it as I didn't do this when I was younger. I keep mine on 73 and hers is in the 80s.

If any of you have questions about the chillipad just ask and I'll help if I can. This thing has literally saved my life. No, I'm not affiliated with the company.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:17 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: FLUSHING ENGINE, RADIATOR and Chillipad

The gas powered transfer pump should work even better than my electric sump pump. In the 70's I used to take a gas powered pump out on the lake to flood a nice smooth ice skating area, and it sure has volume as well as good pressure.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:03 AM   #3
History

Default Re: FLUSHING ENGINE, RADIATOR and Chillipad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
The gas powered transfer pump should work even better than my electric sump pump. In the 70's I used to take a gas powered pump out on the lake to flood a nice smooth ice skating area, and it sure has volume as well as good pressure.
Thanks for the reply Tom. I've often wondered what it was like to hop in a brand new Model A, if they got hot at all when new and just what it felt like overall. How soon problems developed (plugs fouling and such).

I had a large piece of equipment with a 100 gallon diesel tank that was constantly clogging the fuel filter. I took the tank off and it had atleast an inch of crud built up on the bottom of the tank. I pressure washed that out and it was clean as it could be. I know that's a different scenario than a radiator or an engine because of where the pressure can actually hit.

I know the chilipad probably threw most off track but I had a costly problem that I took care of pretty cheap and easy by basicly doing on a smaller scale what you did to your A's cooling system. Seriously, if you guys have trouble with your wife roasting or freezing you in bed, check it out. Think cool/heat suit for the bed.
History is offline   Reply With Quote