Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Don Rogers

Default Ford Barn sign for Hershey

Download this sign and print it if you want to display it at your Hershey space.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
41PICUP

Default Re: Ford Barn sign for Hershey

Very cool, wish I could make the trip.
It's on my bucket list.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
oldford2

Well thanks, I don't know how you got that logo. I have tried many times but Ryan has somehow restricted copying it. I had contacted him about Tee shirts and hats but no response. I have saved it and may use it for an iron on decal for a tee shirt. Copy it quick because I suspect this post may disappear.
John
Old 10-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
38 Ford Pickup

Ryan Only worries about the Hamb. He has no Interest in a True All Original Ford
Old 10-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
Fe26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 Ford Pickup View Post
Ryan Only worries about the Hamb. He has no Interest in a True All Original Ford
I don't believe I just read that Tripe!!!

Ryan has been incredibly gracious in hosting Fordbarn. How did you Log In today? Oh yeah, you found the Site, opened the Homepage, looked at Henry's first Racecar (Sweepstakes) found our sub-section, read a few Posts, and for good measure insulted the very man who keeps all of this together.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
Fe26

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
Well thanks, I don't know how you got that logo. I have tried many times but Ryan has somehow restricted copying it. I had contacted him about Tee shirts and hats but no response. I have saved it and may use it for an iron on decal for a tee shirt. Copy it quick because I suspect this post may disappear.
John
I don't know how Mr. Rodgers got the Logo either. As Ryan has not been acknowledged or thanked in his post for permission to use the Logo, I suspect that; well intentioned as the gesture may be, Mr. Rodgers does not have permission to use Ryan's Logo.

It all sounds like a good idea. Vendors displaying the Logo have a chance to meet others who normally would not get the opportunity to meet in person. But did anyone ask Ryan? And if Ryan has given permission why was his gracious gesture not acknowledged?

This gets worse with the advice to "copy it quick" who do you think you are?
Old 10-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
John
Got it printed out John,going to try and get a frame for it tomorrow. ken ct.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
Bruce/CT

Wow Fe26,

A little too much aggression here. Sounds like a HAMB type reaction. Is there a copyright on it? And even if there is, what harm is done by showing the logo at a swap meet. No major profit is going to be made by any of this...just some guys talking Flatheads and selling parts.
Bruce/CT
Old 10-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
Fe26

Ah yes the aggro is at me, I put my back out and the pain killers aren't working. Nevertheless, before you use the Logo it would be courteous to ask first. And yes if Ryan created it there is automatic Copyright attached to it. And yes I did acknowledge the benign use of the Logo, but! Ask first.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
Bruce/CT

Fe26,
I'm certain that Don Rogers has no mal-intent. He was only being helpful. Sorry about your back. Your tone had more aggression than I like to see on this site. It is standard at HAMB buts usually cordial here. We like to meet each other at these swap meets and chew the fat. Guys have made up there own signs but these are neater looking.
Bruce
Old 10-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
Fe26

Yes Bruce I am also certain Don Rodgers had only thought of how good this would be. I like to think my posts are usually well mannered and considered, after all I discovered Fordbarn through the HAMB and didn't much care for some of the more vitriolic posts over there. The usual tone of Fordbarn is much more to my liking.

However my point still stands. No matter how well intentioned Mr Rodgers is, the Fordbarn Logo is not his to use and offer to others without the permission of Ryan.
Mr Rodgers may have Ryan's permission to use the Logo, however, if this is so then his failure to acknowledge the owners kindness in allowing him to use the Logo is a little rude.

You may take issue with my tone, but the message is clear. Also my tone was influenced by '38 Ford Pickup's' rather strange and insulting statement. Geez, let's start a Post where we give Ryan a hard-time; first let's pinch and distribute his Logo, then insult him, then give advice 'that you'd better print it out quick before he finds out'. At the risk of appearing HAMBish, are you guys kidding or just rude?
Old 10-04-2013, 02:10 AM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

He simply took it off the top of the forum and enlarged it, nothing special.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:45 AM   #13
Fe26

So nothing special then about someone helping themselves to something you own? Not only that, then sharing the 'something you own' with the neighbourhood.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:52 AM   #14
BILL WZOREK

Fe26
Lets not make some thing out of nothing, With your thinking I would not even be able to advertise that I have FORD parts for sale Because Ford Motor Co. Owns the name?????? No one is making $$$ off what He is diong & maybe some one may want to join Ford Barn That may end up Paying Ryan for advertising space How would you suggest people get the word out that there is like minded people at a given spot.
I know that if there are 2 vendors with the exact same item for sale 1 that I know is a Ford Barner And 1 is not Guess who get my $$$$
Have You ever been to Hershey??? O so Many People, It is nice to be able to put a face with a name.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:46 AM   #15
Rowdy
BANNED

I would love to be able to display something like that at swapmeets, but would only do so with Ryan's permission. I do not get to attend any of the high profile swapmmets, but they are big enough that I do not know more than 5% of the people I see there. He has not chimed in on this thread, but wonder what his take on this is. I am considering becoming an Alliance Memeber of the Hamb and wonder if at that point it is ok to dispaly that banner at swapmeets also? This thread has alot to do with intilectual property. Since Ryan has not given anyone permission to make T-shirts with this banner and other things to easily identify other FB members at swapmeets and such says alot to me. Even though the royalties and such wold generate him some more money for operating costs. Rod
Old 10-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #16
Fe26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WZOREK View Post
Fe26
Lets not make some thing out of nothing, With your thinking I would not even be able to advertise that I have FORD parts for sale Because Ford Motor Co. Owns the name?????? No one is making $$$ off what He is diong & maybe some one may want to join Ford Barn That may end up Paying Ryan for advertising space How would you suggest people get the word out that there is like minded people at a given spot.
I know that if there are 2 vendors with the exact same item for sale 1 that I know is a Ford Barner And 1 is not Guess who get my $$$$
Have You ever been to Hershey??? O so Many People, It is nice to be able to put a face with a name.
With my thinking Bill you would not be allowed to use the Ford Logo, however as the name Ford is just that, a name that many individuals have you would be able to use that. Ford does not own the name Ford, but it does own the Ford Logo.

So what if no one is making money off Ryans property? That is not the point, if Ryan has not given permission to use his property then it can't be used. No one would have an objection to Fordbarners putting up a sign on their Stall saying 'Fordbarn Spoken Here' but you can't use this Logo. I havn't been to Hershey, and should I ever go I would introduce myself to someone who identified themselves as a Fordbarner.

I notice that well over two hundred Barners have looked at this thread and the few that have commented seem to think it's either OK to lift someone elses property and/or I'm over reacting. My question to you is; how can you think this is OK? Do you see this as a harmless infringement of common decency not to mention 'the rules'? Or do you agree with the action because you get to copy the Fordbarn Logo and now you think you can use it as you please? Again I say you need permission first.

No one can be unaware of the consequences of using someone elses Intellectual Property. The Music Industry has prosectuted many individuals and corporations for infringements. Apple and Samsung have gone head-to-head with very expensive consequences. So where do you draw the line? Obviously Ryan doesn't count. So your kids and grandkids can thieve all the music they want and not fear the consequences? I don't think so. But for you who are using Ryans Logo, to think this is OK? I don't think so.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #17
BILL WZOREK

Rowdy:
You are talking Royalty's / That is another other Game.This is just a way to I.D. like minded people. Ryan gives us a lot of lead ( is that speled correct )way and as it has been said we are just guests of his site. And I am pretty sure that 99.99% use it knowing that and do respect that.
Just wondering if the words FORD BARN are TABOO
Also ????????
Old 10-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #18
Rowdy
BANNED

It's not the name, as that was Shelly's doing. It is the banner itself which Ryan discussed early on cost him some serious money. I know it was discussed early on with people on the Model A forum. I am suprised Ryan has not publicly commented on this subject for some clarity. Shelly gave us permission to use the old banner and have some T-shirts, banners and hats made with a portion of the costs going to help fund the site, Ryan has not to the best of my knowledge done so. That says alot to me. Why not find and use the old banner until Ryan has given us permission to use the new. I highly doubt he will anytime soon. Although I think having the banner displayed would be GREAT. Rod
Old 10-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #19
Rowdy
BANNED

Bill, Here is what I found with a quick search and I think it says alot. Rod

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...highlight=logo
Old 10-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #20
TStiles

Guys,
Pay very close attention to what Fe26 is saying. The logo offered up for copying is likely illegally obtained. There's a copyright statement at the bottom of every page on this website. I'm in the business of intellectual property development and cringe at this situation. Ryan can litigate.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #21
oldford2

Wow! I never read the bottom of the page.

"Copyright © 1995-2008 Atomic Industry: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in."
Old 10-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #22
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStiles View Post
Guys,
Pay very close attention to what Fe26 is saying. The logo offered up for copying is likely illegally obtained. There's a copyright statement at the bottom of every page on this website. I'm in the business of intellectual property development and cringe at this situation. Ryan can litigate.
Pretty clear to me, under #6, "Terms of Service", accessible at the bottom of every page...SEE BELOW! DD

"6. LIMITATION OF RE-USE
You agree not to reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, resell or exploit for any commercial purposes or noncommercial purposes any portion of the services or content contained within Atomic Industry properties and its subsidiary sites. In order to use any content, graphical art, photos or files owned by or published by Atomic Industry, direct, written authorization must be obtained from Atomic Industry with no exceptions at any time for any reason."

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 10-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #23
Rowdy
BANNED

I have never read that before, but not suprised it is there. I do however think that licenced T-shirts and some other things with the logo are long overdue. We have been very patient, going on 3 1/2 years without anything being offered. Guesse we will have to be patient some more, but possibly alittle more vocal on how long patience can last. Possibly this whole thread can be useful in atleast that regaurd. Not trying to stir the pot, but can see the tiny bubbles at the bottom of the pan about ready to boil. Rod
Old 10-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #24
Bruce/CT

What a sad commentary on the times we live in! I should have been born when Flatheads were new. I'm done on this subject.
Bruce/CT
Old 10-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #25
jkeesey

I don't see it as stealing anything its more like free advertising for Fordbarn. If someone wanted to hang my company sign in front of their booth I would be more than happy.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #26
Rowdy
BANNED

I agree, but Ford, Coke and others have set the bar high when it comes to intelectual property, trademarks and other litigation. If I had Ryan's written permission I would have a sign simular to this at most swapmeets. I would even go to the point of having it silkscreened onto a piece of aluminum to be something I could use for several years. I have read no such permission anywhere on the site and am suprised he is currently silent on the matter. Rod
Old 10-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #27
Mike B

I did a search...and found this info:

http://www.clickandcopyright.com/cop...ringement.aspx

As I read through the page, it seems the item/etc, needs to be sold/resold in essence to be used for profit?

I dunno, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night...
Old 10-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #28
TStiles

Mike,
Keep in mind that intellectual property attorneys would construe first that you had stolen this website's "brand". That's one count. Then, if you had a booth at Hershey and could be seen as having profited or attempted to profit because you displayed the barn logo, there's another count. To anyone who would be tempted to use Ryan's logo without his express, written permission, I'd suggest reconsidering.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #29
Mike B

Good points Tim,

Now you know why I would think of representing myself in court!
Old 10-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #30
Ryan
Administrator

OK fellas... Here is the deal. I'm totally cool with folks using the logo under a couple of conditions:

1. They get my permission first. Individually.

2. It's not used for profit.
Closed Thread