Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2020, 06:45 PM   #1
pjdeb

Default Horn button

Horn problem: it is not the horn. It is not the horn rod. Appears to be the switch. Looks like a cheap repo. The spring on the underside seems weak. The contact does not come up into the bracket to make contact with the rod. Appears that the wire pushes downward out of the disc leaving the contact short.

Looks like quire a job to remove the harness and resolder to a new disc. I am a driver, not a purist. When I fix problems, I look for solutions for next time.

I do not want a secondary switch.

If the repos are that cheap, I am thinking wire splice or terminal box so it can be changed easily.

Comments? Suggestions?
pjdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:42 PM   #2
Mike Peters

Default Re: Horn button

Sounds like your switch is falling apart. Do your lights work? Original light switches usually work better than repros, if you can find an original light switch. Original light switches are fairly easy to find at Model A swap meets.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:39 PM   #3
pjdeb

Yes. The lights work. It is the switch. Just looking for a way to avoid pulling all the harness in order to solder.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:48 PM   #4
Mike Peters

OK. If you unclip your switch from the steering column, you can take it apart by unscrewing it a partial turn and it will split, exposing the harness and connector plate.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:23 PM   #5
barnstuf

I am unsure if what I describe is your problem but it might be. At a period of time say 10 or so years ago a major supplier of the horn and headlight loom from the base of the steering column wound the cover material over the individual wires too far toward the bakelite switch plate. This meant the individual wires had no room to flex a bit. This affected the contact for the horn in that the spring loaded contact at the end lf the rod could not mate exactly with the contact on the loom. Often it would go to the side instead of face to face contact. The solution if that is the problem is very simple. Use a razor blade and cut back a few inches on the loom cover material that is woven too close to the plate so the wire to the horn contact can move a bit.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:40 PM   #6
pjdeb

Thank you. I will take a look at that. Exactly the type of experience that makes this site helpful.