Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2019, 05:53 PM   #1
kimeccles

Default 1930 Cabriolet main bow wood by window

Hi,

Here is my old wood for the main top bow by the window on the triple hinge, and the new wood next to it. The old wood is 2-3/4 inch wide at the base, the new wood is 3-1/4 inch wide at the base. Note the "old" wood may not be original dimension either.

Does anyone know what is correct as it just seems the new wood is too wide and almost hits the side window frame, but the old wood seems a bit small?

Thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190523_154057_resized.jpg (58.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 05-23-2019, 08:46 PM   #2
Ray in La Mesa

Default Re: 1930 Cabriolet main bow wood by window

On my May-June 68B the measurement from front to back at the base is 3" on the original bow (still has some Bronson Yellow paint on it). You might have adjust the measurement to fit the window frame to vertical post cover to fit by trimming the back, angled surface the triple hinge mounts to. My repro wood is close to 1/4" to wide too, I haven't checked the fit yet myself as I don't have the windows in yet. Keep us posted.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:26 AM   #3
kimeccles

Ray, Thanks for the info. I think 3 inches looks right to me and you confirmed it is that on the original. Luckily my width is the same on both pieces. I do plan to sand the angled surface down some before mounting the triple hinge. Thanks
Old 05-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #4
jw hash

here is a picture of my original bow. as you can see it is 3 1/8" at the bottom and 1 3/4 up where the bracket screws on, these measurements are critical to make sure your landau arms mount up and functions correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0201.jpg (53.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0198.jpg (58.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0199.jpg (50.8 KB, 28 views)
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:43 AM   #5
kimeccles

JW,

Thanks for taking the time to take pictures and post measurements. It is very helpful. After looking at the cover plates, and with the window up and such and checking the windlace, It does look like mine is about 1/8 too long at the bottom and the 3-1/8 should be just right. At the top by the curved metal brace the wood I have measures 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 depending so I think it may work, but I will check the landau before doing all the screws. Nothing on this car is ever easy.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:12 PM   #6
Oldbluoval

Nothing on a cabriolet is easy!
It’s one of the toughest and costly restos
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:19 PM   #7
Russ B

I just planed down the triple hinge side of the bow to fit the bow with good clearance for the rollup door windows. If the B pillar post is a bit thicker, you may need the extra width. The extra wood is better than too little. I would rely more on fitting everything together properly, than I would rely on a specific measurement of a single piece of wood

All replacement wood seems to need additional fitting. I cut such wood in very small increments, mount and measure, remove and make another small cut. Fitting takes a lot of time to get right. If you drill hinge screws (or landau mount screws) in the wrong location by a small amount, it is not hard to drill an oversized hole, glue in a hardwood dowel, and redrill the hole. When fitting, I try to drill only one hole for hinge test fits and two for the landau mounts.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:10 AM   #8
kimeccles

Thanks for the advice.