Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #1
Stretch Cab

Default Then and Now

In a recent post a lot was said about the cost of restoring a Model A today. Very interesting post that got me thinking about the cost of owning my roadster. Actually made me a little depressed to think what it would cost to restore it again.
I then got to thinking what it would cost to buy my car today in comparison to when my mother bought the car for my Dad’s birthday in 1974. She paid $4,000.00 for the car which according to the website listed here would be equivalent to a little over $20,000.00 today. My car is nice but not worth that amount today.
Could my wife buy me a car for 20k today? Yes she could buy as good or better but I think it would be a lot harder for us to personally afford it today even though my wife makes more than my mother ever did.
I guess what I am saying is that I am very thankful for the car I was given. I totally understand why this is an older persons hobby as while the actual cost to buy the car may be about the same or even cheaper today other parts of the financial equation make it difficult to have the extra cash for an expensive hobby.
What would your car cost to buy today?

usinflationcalculator.com
Stretch Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:41 PM   #2
DHZIEMAN

Default Re: Then and Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Cab View Post
In a recent post a lot was said about the cost of restoring a Model A today. Very interesting post that got me thinking about the cost of owning my roadster. Actually made me a little depressed to think what it would cost to restore it again.
I then got to thinking what it would cost to buy my car today in comparison to when my mother bought the car for my Dad’s birthday in 1974. She paid $4,000.00 for the car which according to the website listed here would be equivalent to a little over $20,000.00 today. My car is nice but not worth that amount today.
Could my wife buy me a car for 20k today? Yes she could buy as good or better but I think it would be a lot harder for us to personally afford it today even though my wife makes more than my mother ever did.
I guess what I am saying is that I am very thankful for the car I was given. I totally understand why this is an older persons hobby as while the actual cost to buy the car may be about the same or even cheaper today other parts of the financial equation make it difficult to have the extra cash for an expensive hobby.
What would your car cost to buy today?

usinflationcalculator.com
I was fortunate. I paid a lot less that the Calculator amount of $13,000 but, with that said, cosmetically my car is great, (kind of what I would call a 20 footer) Mechanically, for tinker stuff, it is a mess. about 88 years of who knows how many people messing with it, I just keep going and going and going! Just as one example, the car did shimmy real bad! Checked toe in! It was around 3/4 inch. fixed that! Shimmy gone. Wiring got hot, short in headlight! Rewired and added a fuse! It just keeps going, but being retired and with a junk box of stuff, this will never be a points car, but it will be a safe car to drive! It all depends on ingenuity and research. This forum is a great place to get people helping you, and me! Congrats on your "given vehicle" and enjoy it! What a history, these old cars!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #3
aermotor

Not to demean other hobbies, but how long does it take to spend 10 or 20K playing golf and not have a physical example of a HOBBY? If you have the time, money and enjoyment - go for it. Life is short compared to a Model A.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:07 AM   #4
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
Not to demean other hobbies, but how long does it take to spend 10 or 20K playing golf and not have a physical example of a HOBBY? If you have the time, money and enjoyment - go for it. Life is short compared to a Model A.

John
I just hope I make it to 88 on top of the grass!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #5
ursus

I bought a number of NOS and NORS parts from a guy several years ago. He would have to search his memory for a price for each item and would ask for whatever he thought it cost him when he acquired it some 20-30 years before. I was surprised to be buying things at a cost far below the prevailing swap meet prices. He told me that the Model A hobby was just a hobby for him and that trying to make a profit from it was an unnecessary distraction from his enjoyment of the cars and the people that also enjoyed them.
ursus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:56 PM   #6
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
I bought a number of NOS and NORS parts from a guy several years ago. He would have to search his memory for a price for each item and would ask for whatever he thought it cost him when he acquired it some 20-30 years before. I was surprised to be buying things at a cost far below the prevailing swap meet prices. He told me that the Model A hobby was just a hobby for him and that trying to make a profit from it was an unnecessary distraction from his enjoyment of the cars and the people that also enjoyed them.
That's a good story, and what was that guys phone number again?.....
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote