Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-28-2016, 07:45 PM   #1
AnthonyG

Default T5 into '35 winter project

Is there a conversion / adapter part that supports the T5 as the stock transmission mount does? If so where do I purchase it?

Planning on using a Dana Spicer 44 rear with mustang T5 & modify driveshaft to suit. Would like to hear about / see any advise, ideas on mounting / suspension the DS 44 rear end as well?
Old 10-28-2016, 09:36 PM   #2
38bill

Default Re: T5 into '35 winter project

Check out Chassis Engineering. There are different kits depending on what you do with the front wishbone. http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com...936-ford-t350/
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:26 PM   #3
Ol' Ron

I think chassis engineering has a kit for the rear.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 02:12 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
Is there a conversion / adapter part that supports the T5 as the stock transmission mount does? If so where do I purchase it?

Planning on using a Dana Spicer 44 rear with mustang T5 & modify driveshaft to suit. Would like to hear about / see any advise, ideas on mounting / suspension the DS 44 rear end as well?
Ol' Ron has the easy part for ya.....Chassis Engineering makes the rear end installations pretty easy.

Now, the "not-so-easy" part. I'll assume you intend to adapt an S-10 tailshaft housing onto your Mustang T5, so that you have the "FORWARD" shifter position like the trans in the picture below. Pay no attention to the fact that the main transmission case in the picture below is a Chevy. The Chevy and Ford cases are both the same length, and both can have the S-10 rear housing adapted.

You seem to talk in your post like this swap will be a walk in the park. I really have to wonder though, whether you realize just how much surgery you will have to do to your center CROSSMEMBER, along with the X that the crossmember sits in. In all likelyhood, your center crossmember will need to disappear. One more thing to consider is that you will very likely lose the provision to capture the ball end of your front wishbone in the surgery.

Heard and I just posted a thread two weeks ago with several pictures that may show some of the serious alterations you should consider. OUR thread discusses creating a SHORTER-THAN-NORMAL T5, adapted to using the original torque tube and rear suspension. Click the link below for our thread (many helpful pictures). Even with our severely-shortened T5, the frame surgery necessary is not for the faint-hearted. See the picture below for just a

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206955

hint of what is necessary to fit our SHORTENED T5 into a '35 chassis. Are you sure you're up to the challenge? Either Heard or myself can possibly help with any questions you may still have. The SHORTY transmission pictured below is about 9-1/2" shorter than the T5 in my first picture above like the one you're likely to use. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 03:36 PM   #5
Ol' Ron

Good point, never thought of that. In the one instillation I saw a special bracket was made for the front wish bone. However, I never use the old Ford rear, as it usually cauaes more trouble than it's worth.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:36 AM   #6
AnthonyG

Question Re: T5 into '35 winter project

Kudos to you and Heard on a terrific post. Super engineering research and ingenious idea. I had read it and the thread when first appeared. Actually got me off the back burner on my potential project. Questioned Ol' Ron on the Dana Spicer 44 in a message to him and researched that which seemed to be fairly strait forward with the Chassis Eng. kit. The fact is I thought the kits offered for the conversion to T5's didn't involve quite so much as you eloquently put it "cross member & wishbone surgery" as did your's and Heard's conversion. While it isn't beyond my scope ( retired Tool & Die Journeymen ) not sure I want to work that kind of project with the body on the chassis as you indicate @ 66 years young,. In looking at the Chassis Eng. kit instruction it doesn't look that bad until you get to cutting the ball off the wishbone and cutting slotting and bending the bars. Their description on "how too" seems a bit primitive and looks like a lot could go wrong?

Having said that the whole idea obviously is better drive-ability, & while the 5 speed would be great is there a conversion that leaves the wishbone ball assy in tact. I.e.,to a 4 speed or the C3 / C4 auto conversions?
Old 10-30-2016, 11:28 AM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Pie cutting the wishbones is a fairly simple operation (one of the simpler actually) but only if you don't mind cutting them in the first place! The T5 is one of the easier transmissions (thus it's popularity) to install, so than in and of itself is not the issue. There is not much that will fit through the x-member without some modification. And unless you are retaining the closed driveshaft the whole rear assembly has to be addressed with the same wishbone issues and/or some other type of radius rods for the rear axle (unless you go to parallel springs which have their own set of challenges).
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:53 PM   #8
Flat Ernie

I think you can fabricate a ball mount so you don't have to split your wishbones, but it may well need to be lowered which will hurt your caster...which can be solved by some careful cutting and welding on your wishbone arms...

Like every modification, it leads to another, and another, and another...

I'm not aware of any 'modern' transmission, manual or auto, that will not require crossmember surgery...

T5 Tech
Flat Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:38 AM   #9
AnthonyG

Thx guys for all the good info. It was a good sanity check. Don't think I really wanted to cut-up a beautiful 65K mile '35 chassis. Probably going to move in a different direction, albeit a longer more expensive project. I'm looking into lifting the '35 slant body onto a full up new frame with modern suspension and made to accommodate 5 speed, 6 speed or Auto trans. I have been looking for an early pickup anyway and have read the '35 chassis and drive chain from the '35's will work on pickups from the mid '30's to '41? I think I've read it's good even for early post WW2 pickups? Pending the previously stated is correct I'll use the '35 chassis & drive chain for a pick-up build project. Everything I've seen in my price for pickups would need a complete dis-assembly / rework anyway. I know my chassis and drive chain is perfect and I could clean it up and paint before putting anything on it. A bit aggressive but should be fun and like the idea of working the mechanical's on the chassis's free of a body.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:52 AM   #10
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
I'm looking into lifting the '35 slant body onto a full up new frame with modern suspension and made to accommodate 5 speed, 6 speed or Auto trans. The '35 chassis and drive chain from the '35's will work on pickups from the mid '30's to '41?
'35 -'41 PICK-up chassis are, for the most part, the same as '35-'40 passenger car frames, except for some front crossmembers on the trucks, and a few other details.

I can't imagine why you would consider an automatic, being that you seem to have a like for 5 and 6-speeds. But I'm really curious as to why you think you might want a 6-speed. First, most of the 6-speeds are gi-hugic transmissions. But the big question would be why you think you NEED a 6-speed? Hell, you can easily go down the road at 100 mph with either of the two common 5-speeds (4-speed + O/D) that guys use. Do you realize that the common (LARGE) 6-speeds are actually 4-speeds with TWO levels of O/D? That's why you only find them in Vettes, Camaros and Vipers........so ya can go 140mph......or 170, or VERY, VERY fast. You sure you're gonna need that kinda speed in that '35 Ford? I think that may be handy only if you're in a hurry to get your ice cream home before it melts! Just sayin'! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:18 PM   #11
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Now I have a question, a "pie" cut to a wishbone (a very common practice from the earliest days of Hot Rodding and a 30 min. process max) seems a little on the difficult side but now a full-blow chassis modification appears easy???? Man, I'm totally lost on this one!!!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:26 PM   #12
AnthonyG

DD, you'r right, 4 or 5 speed is the way I'd happily go. I was simply indicating the modern chassis's are built to accommodate any of the above. Probably could've let that slide.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:59 PM   #13
40cpe

I've learned over the years that the original chassis were designed for the buggy spring suspension with the pivot point in the center. When the suspension is moved to the corners, as in parallel rear and independent front, the flexible frame becomes a different animal. I understand the aftermarket frames are rigid and take the ride and handling to a whole new level. I've never had the opportunity to ride in an old Ford with a rigid frame so I'm going by what I've been told. Do you want your old Ford to be an old Ford, or look like an old Ford and handle like a modern car? How many steps away from original do you want to go? I built the '40 in my avatar back in the 80's when flatheads weren't as popular and support as available. I wanted to travel safely and comfortably so I used M II front, parallel rear, 302, AC, etc. Wife and I have been all over the southeast in it, but now I'm going back to basics with the '38.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:26 PM   #14
AnthonyG

Thumbs up Re: T5 into '35 winter project

40cpe, your a lucky man to have both covered . I can't wait to get there . Truck will be true to what Henry designed originally or close, '35 Tudor Slant body will be the old school look with the modern conveniences, ride and handling.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:17 PM   #15
Flat Ernie

Quote:
I have been looking for an early pickup anyway and have read the '35 chassis and drive chain from the '35's will work on pickups from the mid '30's to '41? I think I've read it's good even for early post WW2 pickups?
No, the 48-52 pickups are a different beast...even the 42-47 are different enough it's not a simple swap. 35-41 is straight-forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
'35 -'41 PICK-up chassis are, for the most part, the same as '35-'40 passenger car frames, except for some front crossmembers on the trucks, and a few other details.
What he said. I am in the process with my son's '35 and we have a cherry '40 convertible chassis to swap under it. The body mounts are different (removed on pickup) and the front crossmember is slightly different in the engine mount and radiator mount area. There's a height difference here that is manageable.

T5 Tech
Flat Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:56 AM   #16
AnthonyG

Thumbs up Re: T5 into '35 winter project

Thx all