Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-14-2019, 03:09 PM   #1
Mart

Default 40/41 pickup windshield install. What to expect?

Hi guys. I just had a look to see if anyone has put a video up on youtube showing a windshield glass install in a 40/41 pickup or 40 closed car. I can't see anything, so I'm going to be doing mine "cold".

So what are the pitfalls? I do have a pair of the rubbers. Where they meet, one goes inside, one goes outside, should the inside one be on the left or right? Or does it not matter?

I imagine the rubber gets put on the glass and the glass/rubber offered up to the inside. thinking about it, I need to put the side with the outside part of the rubber in first.

I replaced the rear window rubber yesterday, and that went ok. I offered it to the inside and used electrical wire in the groove to pull the lip over the flange. I imagine the front is done in a similar way, but obviously in two steps, ensuring the holes in the central part align. I'm pretty sure I saw someone mention here recently it can be difficult.

I might be overthinking it, but am I on the right track?

I'll make a video regardless.

Any advice gratefully received.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:45 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: 40/41 pickup windshield install. What to expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Hi guys. I just had a look to see if anyone has put a video up on youtube showing a windshield glass install in a 40/41 pickup or 40 closed car. I can't see anything, so I'm going to be doing mine "cold".

So what are the pitfalls? I do have a pair of the rubbers. Where they meet, one goes inside, one goes outside, should the inside one be on the left or right? Or does it not matter?

I imagine the rubber gets put on the glass and the glass/rubber offered up to the inside. thinking about it, I need to put the side with the outside part of the rubber in first.

I replaced the rear window rubber yesterday, and that went ok. I offered it to the inside and used electrical wire in the groove to pull the lip over the flange. I imagine the front is done in a similar way, but obviously in two steps, ensuring the holes in the central part align. I'm pretty sure I saw someone mention here recently it can be difficult.

I might be overthinking it, but am I on the right track?

I'll make a video regardless.

Any advice gratefully received.

Mart.
Mart, As you're experienced with the rear window, you'll find the fronts very similar if not a tad easier to install. And yep, you are way over thinking this one. In my opinion (I've done dozens) the front glass is the easiest of all to install on closed cars.
The rubber gaskets are specific to the right or left of your vehicle. And obviously, there is only one way to install the glass to the rubber.
I believe it is easier to work from the outside of the vehicle and install the piece with the "inside" flap first. If you have a buddy that can apply some (not much) pressure evenly to the inside surface, that'll make your life that much easier.
I use nylon rope from a weed whacker but I suppose your wire works well for you so "good enough".
Use glass cleaner to lubricate the gasket where the rope (or wire) goes in.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:39 AM   #3
Mart

Well, Mike, It didn't go quite as easy as you said, but I got there in the end. The rubbers I had were old (but unused) and had lost their plasticity. The wire just kept splitting the lip. Luckily I had some generic rubber the right shape, and was able to use that and improvise the centre part using those bits from the otherwise unusable parts. those parts were a lot softer rubber and were in good condition.

I agree it would have gone a lot more easily if the rubbers had been fresh.

It's back together now, I just need to tidy up and edit the video footage. That was the other thing that didn't go well, the audio recording kept dropping out, the video too, also but that was my fault I think.

First world problems, eh?

Mart.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #4
supereal

When replacing a windshield always use a new gasket. You will need a helper to hold the windshield/gasket assembly in the opening, and a strong cord in the groove in the gasket (we use nylon), and a bottle of liquid dish soap (we use Ivory). Put the gasket around the windshield glass before you start, leaving enough cord out to get a good grip.Start at the bottom and pull the string out as you go while your helper pushes from the inside. Old rubber usually will leak due to the loss of elasticity, A good seal needs no sealer.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:54 PM   #5
Mart

2 hours 20 mins of video. I'm not sure anybody would want to sit through that! Some heavy editing called for methinks.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #6
rich b

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
2 hours 20 mins of video. I'm not sure anybody would want to sit through that! Some heavy editing called for methinks.
If you are successful with your edit; it should be an interesting video to view.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:45 PM   #7
TomT/Williamsburg

When I sold my 40 coupe I had it nice and safe in my garage waiting to meet up with the buyer and something fell on the pass side front glass breakungbit. I was lucky enough that I had a spare glass for my 40 pickup project and the installed rubber was still pliable enough to reuse. I did use some sealer between the rubber and glass and thecrubber and the body. Once installed I blasted it with water trying to simulate a hard rain and although it had leaked before, it didn’t leak after the replacement! Go figure!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:32 AM   #8
corvette8n

Quote:
I think I'm subscribed to your YouTube channel, looking forward to your edited version.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote