Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-14-2017, 12:40 AM   #1
Fibber Mcgee

Default The cars that made America.

Just watched the first episode of three. Part 2 tonight, looks to be pretty good. I don't know how accurate it is but Henry doesn't come out looking so well. Ive read the stories about him but they are pretty harsh .....poor Edsel.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:51 AM   #2
hardtimes

Default Re: The cars that made America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibber Mcgee View Post
Just watched the first episode of three. Part 2 tonight, looks to be pretty good. I don't know how accurate it is but Henry doesn't come out looking so well. Ive read the stories about him but they are pretty harsh .....poor Edsel.
Yup, very informative overall regarding industrial development in America ! I'm hooked for the remaining segments !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:21 AM   #3
LOWRIDER

I'm hooked. Ford started out good but it seems like it all went to his head. His treatment of Edsel certainly wouldn't make anyone's "how to" list.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:43 AM   #4
Robert/Texas

Check the MTFCA forum. I agree with most of the postings.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages...tml?1502710192
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:55 AM   #5
jimTN

Wrong cars at wrong times, left out majority of original stockholders, 08 T's did not have accessory wires and on and on. Someone said it was fine for a third grade education level. We will see how it treats the advent of the A, B and v8 in the next show.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:22 AM   #6
GB SISSON

How do we see this show?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:28 AM   #7
bbrust

History channel. Part 2 is on tonight.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:15 AM   #8
tubman

Did anyone notice the scene in the Dodge brothers office where they are designing their first car? At the very beginning of the scene, there is what appears to be a flathead block sitting on a table.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:20 AM   #9
4t8v8

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that the History Channel is associated with the main stream media. Facts don't matter. As much as a car nut as I've been for 70 years I didn't even bother to watch it as I knew I'd get mad and switch it.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:07 AM   #10
blucar

A lot of creative writing for sure. Walter P. was in fact a mechanical whiz, youngest head of the railroads mechanical repair shops. However, Buick/Mr Nash did not hire Walter P away from the railroad, he had retired from his position with the RR in his early forties.
Walter P. did take the presidents' position at Buick following Billy Durant's departure.
Of course anyone that knows much automotive history will pick out the little nuances of fact vs fiction.. Still good entertainment last night.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #11
rotorwrench

The Dodge brothers owned a lot of Ford stock early on and as partners they manufactured a lot of parts for Henry. He wanted to buy them out but they weren't going to give it away to him. Henry had several buy out deals with partners that cost him very dearly in those early years. After he bought back the stock from the Dodge bothers, they took the money and started their own car company. They would have done well except for one of the brothers died and the other couldn't live without him so they were both dead in a short period of time. A very sad story. They built a hell of a car right up until the end of them. Walter P Chrysler bought out what was left.

A lot of folks that make these documentaries think they will bore young folks with all the details so a lot is left out but there is a lot of interesting stuff in those details.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:59 PM   #12
corvette8n

I watched it, certainly was hollywoodized, I just wanted to see the old cars, so I didn't much care what they said as I knew it wouldn't be accurate.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:25 PM   #13
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4t8v8 View Post
I came to the conclusion a long time ago that the History Channel is associated with the main stream media. Facts don't matter. As much as a car nut as I've been for 70 years I didn't even bother to watch it as I knew I'd get mad and switch it.
Yeah, the programming gurus (women).. are all into profit.. it was entertaining, but not really about CARS, more about the history of the men that manufactured them... my opinion

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

"Old enough for the experience & too young to know better"
Vintage Copper 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:17 PM   #14
bbrust

I tried to watch episode 2 tonight but the amount of commercials made it unwatchable. Plus, after each commercial break, the narrations from before the break were repeated. Sometime 3 times.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:06 PM   #15
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Did anyone notice the scene in the Dodge brothers office where they are designing their first car? At the very beginning of the scene, there is what appears to be a flathead block sitting on a table.
Makes for great tv, also saying they are amazing innovative designers and if they didn't die, where would we be. Flying cars no less.

I like the dodge brothers by the way.

Last edited by Tinker; 08-14-2017 at 09:48 PM. Reason: ugh my spelling is atrocious today....
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:55 PM   #16
d.conrad

At the very beginning of #1 they said the year was 1927 as they showed a 1931 Model A. Soon after that I changed channels.
d.conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:43 PM   #17
Tinker

Just showed a 5 min gm praise for innovation, after 10 mins of bashing Henry's morals. Then showed a poster of a 1928 ford model A for GMs new car release in 1926. Neat.

History channel needs to just keep making shows about alien history and ghost stories as they do now.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:38 AM   #18
Yoyodyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I saw that, they showed it twice. It looked like one of these P-Ayr plastic blocks. I imagine someone said "get me an old engine block we can carry around the set"

Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:40 AM   #19
petehoovie

The 2nd episode sucked even more than the 1st!....No mention of the development of the Flathead V8....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:17 AM   #20
A bones

My sister called to tell me to switch it on. I looked for for maybe 15 minutes, then went back to whatever my wife was watching. I told her there was nothing to learn there. My bookshelf gives me the facts I need. Of course I'll thank sis when I talk to her (maybe).