Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-27-2015, 06:36 PM   #1
mrtexas

Default Bob Drake again

Just wanted to post my experience ordering today with the 20% off black friday special. I tried to order 50 items. About 42 items were in stock for around $1250 total. The value of the 8 items not in stock is around $1500. I did save around $300 for the items in stock. At least I think I ordered them. I didn't receive an email confirmation. I tried to call but they are on vacation until Monday. Tried later and it went thru.

I ordered the not in stock items from C&G and MT Car products. Couldn't find another source for around $400 worth of items. What do you think?

Last edited by mrtexas; 11-27-2015 at 09:10 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:11 PM   #2
36 ford

Default Re: Bob Drake again

It sure would be nice if they offered rain checks otherwise it can be frustrating when they announce a sale and much of their products are out of stock and we're out of luck. I'd say you did pretty good.

Phil
36 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
petehoovie

42 out of 50 ain't bad. You should have ordered the out of stock items anyway. I've done this and they called me when their stock was replenished and sold me the items at the sale price + free shipping....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:59 PM   #4
Dec211975

If you have an account with Bob Drake you should be able to log in to your account choose select account and then view orders put in the beginning date and ending date and hit refresh , you can then see if your order is in the system.

Regards,
Brian
Dec211975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:57 PM   #5
nospartsman
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36 ford View Post
It sure would be nice if they offered rain checks otherwise it can be frustrating when they announce a sale and much of their products are out of stock and we're out of luck. I'd say you did pretty good.

Phil
As I read the BD's email the conditions of this cyber sale were for "IN STOCK ITEMS" a four day sale 20% off and "FREE" shipping! You're frustrated over something BD didn't offer. The free shipping is a better deal than the 20% off. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, even if there were no in stock items you needed this time, maybe you'll have better luck next time. If the glass is only 25% full and you're thirsty...drink it.
While on the subject of out of stock, some items that are in stock now, when depleted will never return. 1932-48 Ford restorer only items are very low volume, and economics dictate what gets run a second time. If it wasn't for the Street Rod market it is doubtful if any of the manufacturers would be in business. Compare the number of Fords at the Street Rod Nationals vs a Grand National V8 meet. If you have one of the lesser popular V8's, you would be wise to order some of the current available items while they exist from any of the manufacturers. If I had a 1939 STD I would order a grille center strip as cheap insurance now.
I am not in any way authorized to speak for Drake but I sell him a lot of NOS samples and have had conversations about items that will disappear. The next time you see Bob at a meet, ask him, it's not a secret he will tell you the items that will not be run again.
nospartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:09 AM   #6
36 ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospartsman View Post
As I read the BD's email the conditions of this cyber sale were for "IN STOCK ITEMS" a four day sale 20% off and "FREE" shipping! You're frustrated over something BD didn't offer. The free shipping is a better deal than the 20% off. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, even if there were no in stock items you needed this time, maybe you'll have better luck next time. If the glass is only 25% full and you're thirsty...drink it.
While on the subject of out of stock, some items that are in stock now, when depleted will never return. 1932-48 Ford restorer only items are very low volume, and economics dictate what gets run a second time. If it wasn't for the Street Rod market it is doubtful if any of the manufacturers would be in business. Compare the number of Fords at the Street Rod Nationals vs a Grand National V8 meet. If you have one of the lesser popular V8's, you would be wise to order some of the current available items while they exist from any of the manufacturers. If I had a 1939 STD I would order a grille center strip as cheap insurance now.
I am not in any way authorized to speak for Drake but I sell him a lot of NOS samples and have had conversations about items that will disappear. The next time you see Bob at a meet, ask him, it's not a secret he will tell you the items that will not be run again.
No, I'm not frustrated at all but I know others are. I am well aware of the terms of this sale. Is that you Bob Drake behind that user name?
36 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #7
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36 ford View Post
No, I'm not frustrated at all but I know others are. I am well aware of the terms of this sale. Is that you Bob Drake behind that user name?
Looks like another "beat up on Bob Drake day" again. nospartsman is not Bob Drake. nospartsman posts here a lot and has been in business for many years. He has given some very valuable information to people on this site. If it wasn't for guys like him a lot of old Ford parts would have gone to the steel mill recyclers. Your accusation deserves an apology to him.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:42 AM   #8
bbrust

I believe that everyone here knows that the sale is for "In stock Items" which is fine. Nospartsman does offer valuable information and I appreciate his statement about parts may not reappear once gone but his statement in reference to 36 Ford's first post "As I read the BD's email the conditions of this cyber sale were for "IN STOCK ITEMS" a four day sale 20% off and "FREE" shipping! You're frustrated over something BD didn't offer. The free shipping is a better deal than the 20% off. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, even if there were no in stock items you needed this time, maybe you'll have better luck next time. If the glass is only 25% full and you're thirsty...drink it" assumes that 36 Ford didn't understand the terms of the sale. I don't believe that is the case. His post states that "it can be frustrating when they announce a sale and much of their products are out of stock". That statement would apply to any business. Nowhere does he state that HE was frustrated. TJ - I don't know where your statement that it "Looks like another "beat up on Bob Drake day" again" comes from. The posts in this thread showed that a member was able to purchase 42 out of 50 items from BD and was able to buy the out of stock items from other sources. In response, 36 Ford states that "I'd say you did pretty good".
This morning, I attempted to buy items from Bob during this sale but all of them were out of stock. It's okay because I didn't need them at this time. I've purchased parts from Bob for over 25 years and appreciate that he remains in business.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #9
mrtexas

This is not a complain post. I just posted my experience of saving a couple hundred $$. Others complain that Bob is out of stock Bob. I just stated the facts!
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #10
bbrust

mrtexas - I agree. I was referring to another poster, not you.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #11
Floyd

nospartsman is a super top shelf stand up guy for those that may not know him. Been around forever and has NOS parts found no where else.
Just an opinion.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:19 PM   #12
19Fordy

I wonder what will happen when BOB DRAKE and other vendors decide to retire?
While not always perfect, I very much appreciate what he, Dennis Carpenter and others, including the late Dick Spadaro, have done FOR the hobby. Just think what it would be like minus them.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 11-28-2015 at 12:25 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:20 PM   #13
rich b

I got the stuff I wanted; but he was out of stock on some extra items I had thought of to add to the order; but overall I was happy to save some money on the needed parts and shipping.

But I can understand other's frustration when parts they need are out of stock. Not sure how Drake's company operates; but when the bean-counters took over the parts department inventory where I used to work, it affected our customers and my service department in a negative manner and I really don't think it made much if any difference on the bottom line.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:23 PM   #14
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
I wonder what will happen when BOB DRAKE and other vendors decide to retire?
While not always perfect, I very much appreciate what he, Dennis Carpenter and others, including the late Dick Spadaro, have done FOR the hobby. Just think what it would be like minus them.
Think Cuba!
Old 11-29-2015, 12:12 PM   #15
hotrodA

Well, after spending several hours going through just the 32 stuff, I find only 4 items out of 20-25 to be in stock. Some have been out since the previous sale! Sounds like a supply chain or inventory control issue. Very frustrating, sale or not. With no way to accumulate missed sales, they would have a hard time planning inventory. Hard to sell out of an empty cart, Bob..
hotrodA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:42 PM   #16
flatheadv8

Scary...LOL! I appreciate the ability to find the part when I need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A bones View Post
Think Cuba!
flatheadv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:11 PM   #17
Bruce in southern OH

Ordered my parts today, all in stock, saved 20% and shipping, glad I waited, always got quality reproduction parts.
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:29 PM   #18
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce in southern OH View Post
Ordered my parts today, all in stock, saved 20% and shipping, glad I waited, always got quality reproduction parts.
Do you have an invoice? My ordered items said "in stock" but I have no invoice yet. Until you get an invoice your order isn't processed and "in stock" verified.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:09 PM   #19
Bruce in southern OH

Just confirmation of order #, I have waited sense 1934 to get this car, I can wait a little longer for some missing parts.
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:48 PM   #20
RB

Smile Re: Bob Drake again (not all is negative)

Just a positive note regarding Bob Drake & his prompt & caring staff............. I placed an order for a pair of 32 sub rails among other items on the black Friday discount & free shipping offer on 11/30/15 & received them early the afternoon of Saturday 12/5/15. I felt that was rather remarkable service for a pair of 81" cartons from Oregon to Nebraska. Thanks again to the Drake team
RB is offline   Reply With Quote