Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-23-2015, 05:32 AM   #1
dean from bozeman

Default non Model A: John Deere farm equipment

Hopefully someone on this forum can advise me.

When my wife and I bought our place there were many old John Deere farm implements on the place. Since we bought the place 16 years ago we have converted the old barn into a vacation rental. I have moved the implements into various places around the barn for yard (pasture) art. Folks who rent the barn for weddings, vacations, etc. often ask about this equipment. I, too, am curious about the names, uses and circa of this equipment.

Is there a site, similar to the Fordbarn, that is dedicated to old John Deere farm equipment? I've searched the web a bit and haven't found one. Or is there a person and/or museum that could help me?

Thanks.
Dean
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:58 AM   #2
Clydes 31 P/U

Default Re: non Model A: John Deere farm equipment

Dean, search for historical farm equipment I came up with quite a few sites ranging from 1800's horse drawn to early 1900's powered stuff. If you have any pictures of your collection I'd sure love to see them. Thanks, Clyde
Clydes 31 P/U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:55 AM   #3
JBill

There's John Deere museum in Moline, Illinois. Their website has a link to "historic information" on Deere tractors and implements.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:07 AM   #4
Rowdy
BANNED

We owned several JD tractors when I was growing up. B,G, 620 and a 3010. While the 3010 is not likely the vintage of tractors you have, the others might be. At some point in the future I hope to someday own another unstyled G. I have seen alot of horse drawn impliments. Mainly planters and mowers. I have always thought that a horse drawn mower would look good as yard art after restoration. Rod
Old 10-23-2015, 07:23 AM   #5
Steve Plucker
BANNED

If you know the model number on the equipment, you can still get copies of the original booklet that came with the mower or whatever it is from John Deere.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:50 AM   #6
Fred K-OR

Dean, here is a site you may try to get info.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/72-introductions/
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:26 PM   #7
califfarmer

How about posting some pictures. I'm a 5th generation farmer and in sure there are others from the ag community here that can help.
califfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:41 PM   #8
dean from bozeman

Thank you folks. I will take some photos tomorrow and post them ASAP after that (Saturday will be real busy for me). There are a couple buck rakes, a Model H tractor, one of the first self propelled combines, a wood spoked wheel drill, a shocker and an auger. This is what some people have identified them as. It'll be neat to get the serial numbers and find out exactly what they are.

We call our barn the 1915 Barn. There was some concrete in front of the front barn doors with this year embeded in it. A real kick is that last weekend we were visited by sisters who were born and raised on the place. One was 90 yrs. old and the other was 81 years old. They had some great stories about their younger years on the place. When they told stories there really was a gleam in their eyes with a touch of spunkiness. Totally neat ladies. Their grandfather built the barn.

I will contact the sites suggested and post photos here on Fordbarn.

Again, thanks.
Dean
Old 10-24-2015, 03:36 AM   #9
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean from bozeman View Post
Thank you folks. I will take some photos tomorrow and post them ASAP after that (Saturday will be real busy for me). There are a couple buck rakes, a Model H tractor, one of the first self propelled combines, a wood spoked wheel drill, a shocker and an auger. This is what some people have identified them as. It'll be neat to get the serial numbers and find out exactly what they are.

We call our barn the 1915 Barn. There was some concrete in front of the front barn doors with this year embeded in it. A real kick is that last weekend we were visited by sisters who were born and raised on the place. One was 90 yrs. old and the other was 81 years old. They had some great stories about their younger years on the place. When they told stories there really was a gleam in their eyes with a touch of spunkiness. Totally neat ladies. Their grandfather built the barn.

I will contact the sites suggested and post photos here on Fordbarn.

Again, thanks.
Dean
Dean,

I hope you recorded or wrote down their stories.

Maybe they had some old photos of the place?

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:42 PM   #10
Walter G.

Try www.yesterdaystractors.com Under Discussion Topics there is a section dedicated to John Deere. If you have photos, someone will be able to identify what you have.
Walter G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:57 PM   #11
dean from bozeman

Walter G., I am honored to have your first reply on the Fordbarn be in response to this thread. I'm going out right now to take photos of the farm equipment before we head out for the big game.