Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2020, 05:39 PM   #1
JSRTUDOR

Default Re-pop Parts

Where does everyone get their reproduction parts? Rock Auto has many but a
$45 order comes with a $30 shipping charge! Auto zone has some stuff but not a lot, and Pep Boys- forget it! Needed to rant a little,Thanks!
JSRTUDOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:01 PM   #2
56sedandelivery

Default Re: Re-pop Parts

Depends on what you are looking for. I got some rear discs for the mustang at rock auto and so far so good. For the 56 I have been buying stuff from Dennis Carpenter and so far great stuff.
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:02 PM   #3
51504bat

Depends what you're looking for. My local independent parts store can get me a lot of hard parts. For specialty stuff my go to is Concours Auto in Carson City, NV. Surprisingly Amazon has some stuff as well. They list Dennis Carpenter sill plates for my Ranch Wagon for the same price as Carpenter with free shipping. Epay is another source. Again it really depends on what you want/need.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:07 PM   #4
Dobie Gillis

The usual suspects come to mind, Mac's, Concours, Dennis Carpenter, etc. A google for classic Ford parts will bring up quite a few. Most parts stores have access to the more commonly used parts but they don't stock 'em and have to order from their warehouse. Bear in mind they're high volume businesses geared toward more current vehicles. You might have better luck with NAPA in that regard.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:48 PM   #5
Daves55Sedan

I used to get stuff from Concours Parts, but they did me wrong on a replacement radiator so I quit using them altogether.
Have gotten stuff from Dennis Carpenter, Obsolete and Classic Auto Parts, Mac's (Ecklers) and a few others in the past that have gone out of business. My favorite of all time was Joblot Automotive in Queens Village, NY, surprisingly helpful and freindly service and very low prices, but sadly long gone now.
Most chain auto parts stores are useless except for NAPA, but sometimes you need to wait for them to ship in from another local store or from main warehouse. Better than waiting a week from mail order catalogs. Napa is good for ignition parts, oil, filters and usual maintenance stuff, but they most likely can't get water pumps, fuel pumps, carburators, starters, generators or any cosmetic stuff.
Not too many ways to get around the heavy shipping charges. Amazon offers free shipping on some stuff, but they are not known for antique auto parts sales.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:23 PM   #6
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
I used to get stuff from Concours Parts, but they did me wrong on a replacement radiator so I quit using them altogether.
Have gotten stuff from Dennis Carpenter, Obsolete and Classic Auto Parts, Mac's (Ecklers) and a few others in the past that have gone out of business. My favorite of all time was Joblot Automotive in Queens Village, NY, surprisingly helpful and freindly service and very low prices, but sadly long gone now.
Most chain auto parts stores are useless except for NAPA, but sometimes you need to wait for them to ship in from another local store or from main warehouse. Better than waiting a week from mail order catalogs. Napa is good for ignition parts, oil, filters and usual maintenance stuff, but they most likely can't get water pumps, fuel pumps, carburators, starters, generators or any cosmetic stuff.
Not too many ways to get around the heavy shipping charges. Amazon offers free shipping on some stuff, but they are not known for antique auto parts sales.

Don't know what your problem with Concours was but they went the extra mile to correct their mistake on my recent order. Details here:
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286654
Old 09-13-2020, 11:21 AM   #7
5851a

I use Rock Auto for some things but shipping does seem to be high. NAPA and Advance here are OK if I have time for the drive.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:47 PM   #8
Ole Don

For many underhood parts, stores don't have a computer book that goes back that far. Order parts for a 64 F100, it's usually the same part.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:49 PM   #9
paul2748

In my first contact with Rock Auto, in inquiring about rebuilds that they are supposed to handle, they brushed me off with a generic answer that didn't come near answering my question. They, like Mac's, would be my last resort for anything
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:03 PM   #10
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
Don't know what your problem with Concours was but they went the extra mile to correct their mistake on my recent order.
I went and read your post. I also noticed that your issue occurred this year.
After what happened to me, I told them I would never order from them again EVER! That was in summer of 2018, and I have never ordered from them since. I used to spend a lot of money buying parts from them.
Maybe my complaint caused them to beef up their customer service in an effort to avoid losing any more good paying repeat customers like me ! ! !
Old 09-13-2020, 09:11 PM   #11
Ford Freak

I use C&G or Concours . NAPA is ok for some stuff .
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:36 PM   #12
Daves55Sedan

No matter which repro parts supplier you use, most of the parts they offer ultimately come from the same manufacturer (usually china). You are not going to get better quality by buying Concours taillight housing over a Mac's tallight housing. They both come from the same place, same quality (poor). Same for all cosmetic parts, lenses, electrical switches & relays, motors, etc.
Some of the repro parts suppliers offer EMS repro body parts as well as the chinese competitor. The china parts are crap. The EMS parts are made in USA and are good quality.
Rubber weatherstripping and pads nearly all come from Dennis Carpenter, no matter which vendor you buy from.
Metro moulded parts offers some stuff from their own factory, but you gotta buy from their catalog. They used to offer almost every mounting pad and rubber escutcheons for old Fords, but maybe not any longer. Their door gaskets are better quality than Dennis Carpenter.
Some of the rebuilding services they offer are outsourced to the same company no matter which repro parts supplier you order from.
There's not much point in ordering from one or the other to try to get best quality. The difference is going to be customer service, return policy, shipping costs and availability of parts.
Even availability is pretty consistent between the different repro parts suppliers now. When one outfit runs out of a dis-continued item, they all do, because the parts are all coming from the same mfr (china). It takes china 2-1/2 years to begin reproducing discontinued items again after the vendors start calling in a certain quota of orders.
Some places are offering upholstery stuff from different manufacturers, but that stuff is probably made in mexico, canada or china. ABC used to be Concours quality. Macs is now supplying Cartouche upholstery which is made in New York (another foreign country, haha)
Old 09-14-2020, 08:09 AM   #13
Hot Rod Reverend

try TeeBird auto in Exton, PA. They sell quite a few 55/56 Ford parts for passenger cars although many would look at the name and just think thunderbird. Their shipping price is on the money - no overcharges, and they are great guys to talk to on the phone. Very, very helpful. They are kind of old school. They had problems with their website a few years back and have not update it as of yet. https://www.tee-bird.com/
Old 09-14-2020, 06:50 PM   #14
JSRTUDOR

Thanks again Barners!
JSRTUDOR is offline   Reply With Quote