Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-07-2019, 01:21 PM   #1
Marcus

Default Conversation with a WWII Veteran

Early this morning, having coffee with my 97 year old Uncle, Veteran of WWII, I asked him to relate a story of how he entered the service:
"Early on Sunday morning, I walked down to the local gas station and joined the other regulars on the bench out front - we could watch the town go by and just talk. After a bit, a friend came by in a Ford Coupe, and we decided to go to the Bloody Bucket (a local hangout several miles away). When we arrived, everyone was crowded around a small Sears and Roebuck Silvertone radio - we asked what was going on, and was informed that the Japanese had bombed Pearl Harbor. I looked at my friend, asked, "Where is Pearl Harbor?" He replied, "I don't know, but I think it is in Florida." Two days later, my friend and I decided to enlist together and serve at the same duty station. We went to the recruiting station, and that was the last we saw of each other until we were discharged at the end of the war!"
My Uncle served as a Navigator and Radio Operator, and flew the "Hump" in the CBI Theater........an incredible legacy!
As we all remember that "Day that shall live in infamy" - talk to a veteran and tell him / her how grateful you are for their sacrifices. I ask you this: Enjoying your freedom?? Thank a Vet!
Old 12-07-2019, 01:58 PM   #2
4t7heaven

Default Re: Conversation with a WWII Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Early this morning, having coffee with my 97 year old Uncle, Veteran of WWII, I asked him to relate a story of how he entered the service:
"Early on Sunday morning, I walked down to the local gas station and joined the other regulars on the bench out front - we could watch the town go by and just talk. After a bit, a friend came by in a Ford Coupe, and we decided to go to the Bloody Bucket (a local hangout several miles away). When we arrived, everyone was crowded around a small Sears and Roebuck Silvertone radio - we asked what was going on, and was informed that the Japanese had bombed Pearl Harbor. I looked at my friend, asked, "Where is Pearl Harbor?" He replied, "I don't know, but I think it is in Florida." Two days later, my friend and I decided to enlist together and serve at the same duty station. We went to the recruiting station, and that was the last we saw of each other until we were discharged at the end of the war!"
My Uncle served as a Navigator and Radio Operator, and flew the "Hump" in the CBI Theater........an incredible legacy!
As we all remember that "Day that shall live in infamy" - talk to a veteran and tell him / her how grateful you are for their sacrifices. I ask you this: Enjoying your freedom?? Thank a Vet!
Great story. Thanks for posting I am the only one on my block that put out a flag today. Makes you sort of sad.
4t7heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:29 PM   #3
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4t7heaven View Post
Great story. Thanks for posting I am the only one on my block that put out a flag today. Makes you sort of sad.

Same with our block, but ours is out in all it's glory. USA, USA, USA! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:30 PM   #4
RalphM

Mine flies every day for all those who served!

Interesting my I phone has all kinds of days marked, some of which I had no idea what they were till someone told me, but today is not marked as “ Pearl Harbor Day”.

But my DAV calendar damn sure has it on there!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:38 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

"Day that shall live in infamy" didn't last to long for a lot of people. I'm starting to notice the same with 911 and it's much more recent. Seem many have very short memories and to the young generation it is not taught or given any importance. Shame, but the way it is. And my flag flies every day, but then I love history. All history including vehicles!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:40 PM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
Mine flies every day for all those who served!

Interesting my I phone has all kinds of days marked, but today is not marked as “ Pearl Harbor Day”.

That's 'cuz most of these folks wouldn't have a clue what "Pearl Harbor Day" is in the first place! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:08 PM   #7
chiefdave

Make sure that the National Ensign is at half mast today. IAW public law 103-308 the president is required to issue a proclamation requesting flags be lowered, unlike his predecessor our setting president has done so. Did mine then went to the American Legion Post to do the same. Only saw one other that was properly displayed.
chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:59 PM   #8
19Fordy

V8: Sadly, you are so correct. When I was teaching high school the students didn't remember Dec. 7 but, they did remember April 21st, National Weed Day.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #9
RalphM

WAIT! There’s a national weed day? And all this time I haven’t been celebrating it! I feel so left out.

Coop man,
That is so true!
I sit in the lunch room at work, and everyone is glued to their phones.
What ever happened to conversation?
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:22 PM   #10
DavidG

I had a cousin who was on a mine sweeper in Pearl Harbor that day (and survived that day and the war) and another who flew the hump in the CBI theater (and survived along with recurring malaria issues). Without a doubt, the greatest generation.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:27 PM   #11
al's28/33

They were brave men who served their duty out of respect for a just cause. God Bless them.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #12
5lugnuts

Hey19Fordy, I taught high school until 2004. I had a friend that was chairman of the history dept. and a WWII buff. I asked him how long they spent teaching about WWII. He said less than two weeks, but he did a little more. But then, that was NY. A few friends and I sent a WWII Vet to Washington to see the WWII Memorial a couple of years ago. His daughter accompanied him. He is still alive at 95.
5lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:58 PM   #13
Marcus

DavidG: any chance your cousin was in the 1340th ATC?? Uncle John was primarily in Kunming, China (primary duty station), and flew in and out regularly. If so, I wonder if their paths ever crossed.
Chief Dave: Thank you for that timely reminder! Mine flies 24/7 (and is properly illuminated at night). Lowered the Ensign to half-staff at dawn.......and I'll bet no one even noticed, with exception of Uncle John and my wife, who served 21 years in the US Army, retiring as a Major. She and I were (and am) proud soldiers, but the Greatest Generation stands as the example by which we measure ......
1940: As the retired Director of the Eighth Judicial District Drug Court, I can attest to the accuracy of your statement!
RalphM: You will much better enjoy a cup of hot chocolate - at least that won't impair your cognitive abilities!
Old 12-07-2019, 05:18 PM   #14
DavidG

Marcus,

Please ask your Uncle John if his paths ever crossed those of Al Kiraly. The odds are long and I don't recall Cousin Al's unit plus I think he was stationed on the India side of the mountains.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:32 PM   #15
flatford8

My dad served thru-out the war. He was in Africa and parts of Europe but he wouldn’t talk about it much.....at a young age I learned not to ask.... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:44 PM   #16
DavidG

That (reluctance to talk about it) was more common among vets than not.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:41 PM   #17
A bones

The war wreaked my parents lives. Though they survived the war. They were always on a course of despair.

I will forever be thankful for the life they, and their cohorts provided.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:44 PM   #18
FrankWest

My father was a Marine in the Pacific, engineer , looked for mines with a bayonet.
He saw action on many island in the Pacific including Iwo Jima, toward the end of the war, he was getting ready to be in the invasion force on Japan. They never had to invade because of The Atomic Bombs and Japan's surrender.

Last edited by FrankWest; 12-10-2019 at 08:10 AM.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:46 PM   #19
rotorwrench

To talk about it is kind of like reliving it and many were glad to serve but wouldn't really want to go through it again. My Pop would talk about the guys and the flack and a few other things but he would never talk about losing a member of the crew and what he did to try to save him. Those things were never brought up. He would talk about the crash landing he was in but he didn't know the crew all that well since they had just gone to rotation of pilots. That tactic was halted not long after the crash he was in. The crew that trained together always worked better together than when separated no matter what happened. They were like brothers only closer.

I was blessed to have worked for and with a good many WWII vets. They are all gone now and I sure do miss them. They don't make them like that anymore.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-08-2019 at 10:46 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:40 PM   #20
Graeme / New Zealand

Dec 7 was yesterday down here in NZ. I always remember it as it's also the date of my wedding anniversary. I'm allowed to forget my wedding anniversary now as the marriage went the way of Pearl ,but I don't being a history nutter particularly when it comes to the two world conflicts. Sadly to future generations it will become less thought about as they will have no contact with "those that went".

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote