Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-07-2019, 09:19 PM   #21
History

Default Re: Oil In My Water

Lol,,, nice on the gas.

Its going to be interesting to see what this turns out to be. I'll ask my friend when I see him, maybe he knows of some possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
The valve galleries would be about the only place that would be close to the water jacket or blown gasket on engine that pumping a heck of a lot of oil, but in both cases there would be water in the oil. Do you have a kid? When I was about 3 I helped Dad by playing gas station worker, filled one of the old cars sitting in the yard with gas out of the water hose! LOL
History is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:31 PM   #22
1crosscut

Quote:
The valve galleries would be about the only place that would be close to the water jacket or blown gasket on engine that pumping a heck of a lot of oil, but in both cases there would be water in the oil. Do you have a kid? When I was about 3 I helped Dad by playing gas station worker, filled one of the old cars sitting in the yard with gas out of the water hose! LOL
My oldest boy was about the same age when he filled up my cassette player in my truck with the change I kept in the ash tray of my truck. Never worked again.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:22 PM   #23
rfitzpatrick

I've found why I have oil in my water chamber. My number 8 head-stud is stripped, I can not get it to torque. I found it with a double-nut -- so I thought the second one was for holding the distrubtor cable off the head. It wasn't exactly that way. I took the top nut off, when I went to removed the second one, it slipped right off, so it was there as a spacer. Anyway I took the first nut and beganning threading it back on the stud, and that when I found it had an area where the threads in the head stud was stripped. This has to be the problem--
Thanks Everyone for the advise
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:16 PM   #24
redmodelt

There is no oil in those locations all studs would end in the water jacket if they were open to same, but they are not (normally). Keep looking.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:49 PM   #25
rfitzpatrick

Quote:
There is no oil in those locations all studs would end in the water jacket if they were open to same, but they are not (normally). Keep looking.

That oil is wicking up the stud mean anything?
Thanks
Old 10-10-2019, 07:46 PM   #26
redmodelt

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
There is no where that the stud holes would come into contact with oil in the pan to wick up. Now if someone dumped a lot of oil in the adjacent cylinder and there was a bad gasket in that area, then oil could get pushed up when the engine is cranked over and wick up. Same with getting oil in the water, bad gasket and lots of oil in the cylinder from someone putting it in. But if oil can get in the water then water would be getting in the oil. It works both ways. Also if it was a case of lots of oil in the cylinders then it would be getting pushed into the manifolds too.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:32 PM   #27
supergnat

I believe that that particular stud #8 is different than the others. I remember being cautioned to be sure to drain the water out of the system before removing that stud. If that is not done it is likely that the engine ois could be contaminated with water from the cooling system. Others may be aware of this also. You have probably found the problem. Supergnat
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:32 PM   #28
dumb person

For what it is worth.

I drove with a few stripped stud holes for a long time. There was 'oil' leaking out the head gasket. It would be logical that combustion gasses would be squeezed into the coolant.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:47 PM   #29
redmodelt

He has oil in the radiator not water in the oil.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:02 PM   #30
rfitzpatrick

OK, here's a short up-date: I began torquing the head. Number 8 was double-nutted, so I took the top nut off, noted that the second (bottom) nut was a different wrench size-- I swapped them out, couldn't get number 8 to torque, found the area of that stud just above the head to be stripped-- the former bottom nut was a spacer, or so it seems. Overnite I left number 8 loose, this AM got a new nut and began by using the bottom nut as a spacer till I can work something better. Now I've finished all my torquing, and checked the dip-stick -- now there's a quart of water in the oil! It must have leaked in during the nite-- so I've drained the oil, replaced the oil and hand-cranked the engine over about a dozen time. And of course brought the radiator level back to normal, ran the engine for a few minutes. Taking a break till tomorrow, when will take it out for a run. This is not going to look good on my Resume !?