Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-13-2017, 06:24 PM   #1
Ken/Alabama

Default 39 Zephyr. 3 steps backwards

Got the 39 Zephyr finished and drove it for the first time to town to get front end lined up, good power and running great. About a mile before I reached the shop (5 miles total ) the engine began knocking. The oil pressure went from 50# to 30#. Coasted on into the shop and got the front end done. Drove it back home and parked it. Pulled the engine out and found all the rod and main bearings and crankshaft were shot , I'm talking bout eat up. Couldn't figuire what the hell was goin on. Nothing was blue or dis colored like it had gotten hot . All the cam bearings looked good along with the cam. After further investigation I found the two center main bearing oil holes in the block were full of dirt from what we have here in the south known as dirt daubers . Got another crank and everything is at machine shop . I've built a lot of engines but never had this happen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.2 KB, 146 views)

Last edited by Ken/Alabama; 04-13-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:32 PM   #2
jimalabam

Default Re: 39 Zephyr. 3 steps backwards

Ken, Sorry to hear this news, never had it happen in one of my engines, BUT you are right Dirt Darbers are everywhere. Keep Stan & I informed. Jim...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
50fordcoupeman

Yes they are everywhere here in the Pacific Northwest too. Had a heater core once sealed in a box and they managed to fill one of the ends..............
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:30 PM   #4
Bruce in southern OH

Ken, I have to tape all the ends of hoses that I hang up in my garage, Mud Daubers in southern OHIO. They build behind light fixtures on houses if there is a hole to enter. So sorry to hear of the trouble, Bruce.
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:51 PM   #5
Zephyr Q

As someone who's Lincoln is about to hit the road after an extended downtime I feel for you. I also feel fortunate in that I had to google what the heck a dirt dauber is.
Zephyr Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:14 AM   #6
Brian

Sorry to hear this news Ken. Your car is so beautiful, this is a real pity. We've got those pesky insects down here too...we call them mason bees. Clog up every hole they can.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:58 AM   #7
Dodge

I've had them up inside carburetors inside of distributors with the cap on and other crazy places. Who would of thought a crankshaft.
You might have the shop chamfer the oil holes in the crank while it's there also.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:59 AM   #8
Detonator

Oh man, that's awful. Glad you were able to sort it out and hope everything goes back together smoothly. That's really a gorgeous build.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:56 AM   #9
38coop

A few years ago I ordered a new flex fuel line for my 49 Ford. Before I put on I thought I would blow through the line to make sure it was clear. It was plugged. I got a piece of wire coat hanger and started running it through the line and found it was plugged with dirt dauber mud. I called the vendor and told him to be sure check his other hoses before selling them.
38coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:14 AM   #10
flatford8

We call them "mud wasps" in Maine. They do get in everywhere. Hope the repair goes well.... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:55 AM   #11
37 Cab

Puts a whole new meaning to working the bugs out.. Sorry to hear this. Your car is beautiful. Sounds like you got it by the tail though. Hope you are up and running soon with no scratches from the repair.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:58 AM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

Ken, sorry to hear about this happening to your beautifully restored Zephyr. That's more than enough to make a grown man cry.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:07 AM   #13
36coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
We call them "mud wasps" in Maine. They do get in everywhere. Hope the repair goes well.... Mark
Mud wasps in Nova Scotia.
36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:40 AM   #14
TomT/Williamsburg

So sorry, Ken - but with a nice new engine back in the car there will be no worries ...
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:05 AM   #15
Vic Piano

That's a shame Ken. I'm all too familiar with the damage mud daubers can inflict however, I've never had them in an engine... I'll be going out to the garage to take a closer look at the Flatheads I've got stored there. Good luck with the rebuild.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:12 AM   #16
KiWinUS

A crying shame Ken .... right when you think your getting ahead!
Cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:32 AM   #17
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
Got the 39 Zephyr finished and drove it for the first time to town to get front end lined up, good power and running great. About a mile before I reached the shop (5 miles total ) the engine began knocking. The oil pressure went from 50# to 30#. Coasted on into the shop and got the front end done. Drove it back home and parked it. Pulled the engine out and found all the rod and main bearings and crankshaft were shot , I'm talking bout eat up. Couldn't figuire what the hell was goin on. Nothing was blue or dis colored like it had gotten hot . All the cam bearings looked good along with the cam. After further investigation I found the two center main bearing oil holes in the block were full of dirt from what we have here in the south known as dirt daubers . Got another crank and everything is at machine shop . I've built a lot of engines but never had this happen.
Well that sucks. I need some pictures of a V12 crank shaft out of the engine. The 12 is a odd fire crank and i would like to have a picture to explain that. Can you send me a few pictures when you get it back... Thanks

Jim @ Bubbas
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:51 AM   #18
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
Well that sucks. I need some pictures of a V12 crank shaft out of the engine. The 12 is a odd fire crank and i would like to have a picture to explain that. Can you send me a few pictures when you get it back... Thanks

Jim @ Bubbas
Yes, I can do that. I have the one I removed here in the shop. I'll send you some when I get out in the shop today.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:00 AM   #19
rotorwrench

South Texas has its fair share of mud daubers or dirt daubers or what ever they are called. They get into the pitot tubes on the aircraft that take a measure of air flow for the airspeed indicators. Our customers are always complaining of a "no airspeed" condition when they come in for maintenance. Many of them don't fly much so the little buggers have plenty of time to build nests. They can be a b!tch to remove sometimes depending on the system design. As soon as we get the tubes & lines cleared, we put pitot covers on until they pick up the aircraft.

I can feel some of your pain. It's a never ending problem that can cause a boatload of maladies of all sorts. The V12 is a lot of motor and good cranks for them don't grow on trees. We have our build up area in a closed and air conditioned part of the shop but even that is no guarantee something like that can't happen. We cover every thing with plastic bags during build up if we are not around. Damb buggers will sneak in when you least expect them.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:39 PM   #20
cdan34

So sorry Ken, what a bummer. Hope you get it going soon, that's one special car! My L.Z. is a ways of yet and I wonder if the "dirt daubers" are here on the West coast ?

Thanks again for your past help !

Chuck
cdan34 is offline   Reply With Quote