Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
ed thibodeau

Default Field coils in generator ?

I installed new field coils in a generator and tried to check for residual magnetism per the explination in a post from Tom Wesenberg using a compass. When I put the compass on the left side it points to the right and when I put it on the right it points to the left. This is with the terminal post pointed away from me. I havent fully assembled the gen yet and tried to run it with a bench test. It seems to me that the coils can only go into the housing one way with the 2 wires going to the brush end since they come as an ass'y. Thanks
ed thibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
KR500

Default Re: Field coils in generator ?

How did you bench test it? Did you use a battery to motor it and check rotation? Generators also should be polarized.
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
ed thibodeau

NO as I said I havent bench tested it yet, is that what I have to do before ? I check with a compass? I wasnt going to polarize it until I put it in a car.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
Purdy Swoft

The wire with the larger hole in the wire end grounds under the terminal post screw for the cutout. The other wire connects to the third brush. If the wires are crossed, the generator won't charge but will motor backwards. Look on page 66 of the Brattons newest catalog for an exploded diagram and internal wiring description at the left lower corner of the page. I never used a compas in any of my generator adventures.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
ed thibodeau

Thanks I will finish assembling it and run it and see what happens.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

I tried using the search to find the pictures and had no luck, so I had to look at them on my hard drive. When you have the rear end of the generator body UP and the output stud facing away from you, and connect a 6 volt battery charger to the field windings with + on the grounded end, the red north end of the compass should face to the left, no matter if the compass is placed on the left side of the generator body, in the center of the body, or on the right side.

I never use a compass while working on generators, but only did this to help someone out if they had an unknown set of field windings they were going to install, or if they wanted to make sure they installed replacement coils on the correct side. Last summer I was given a generator that motored backwards and had new field windings. They were installed on the wrong side of the case.

BTW, I tried to find the pictures in Photobucket, but they just switched my account today to the new host, and it doesn't work for me. Why can't they leave stuff alone when it works. Just like cars...........fix it until it's broke. Time to find a new photo hosting site.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
Purdy Swoft

I'm also having problems with Photobucket . I can look at my pictures but it will no longer let me post them.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #8
ed thibodeau

Well as usual it was somthing simple. The new field coils came with the ground wire covered in fabric and a short length of steel wire soldered to the end of the copper wire. The whole length was to long so I cut it back a couple of inches and crimped an end to it ( the housing Im using has a small flat head scr. thru the housing for the ground and no I hadent soldered the end yet. It turns out that the red coating on the copper wire didnt conduct electricity. So I took the crimped end off and cleaned the red coating off for about 1/4 in. and crimped & SOLDERED anew end and every-thing works perfectly. Thanks for all of the feed back.