Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2020, 02:19 PM   #1
Ricosan

Default Locked up!

After driving my car (1934) last weekend, I drove it into the garage and parked it. I didn’t engage the parking brake as the garage is level and I left it in gear.

Today I went back out to the garage and started it up and put it in reverse. I slowly let the clutch out but the car wouldn’t budge. Forward or backwards.

Any idea what’s going on? I remember reading something about this happening to someone last year but I can’t find it.

Any help appreciated.

Richard
Ricosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:25 PM   #2
Tony, NY

Default Re: Locked up!

Is it like the brakes are locked or you're in neutral?
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:34 PM   #3
supereal

Check your brake system to be sure the brakes are not locked, either at a wheel or the cross shaft. If you can shift the transmission, the clutch and its linkage are suspect. if releasing the clutch when in gear causes the engine to stall, the driveline is the place to look.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:53 PM   #4
cas3

sounds like it is in two gears at once. does the shift lever feel normal ? has the lever always felt loose?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:21 PM   #5
Aarongriffey

When you put it in first gear and let the clutch out, does it kill the engine?
If no: put it in third gear and let the clutch out. Does the speedometer show some speed?
If so you’ve no doubt a broken rear axle shaft.
Jack up the rear end one wheel at a time, release the hand brake and try to pull the rear wheel out, brake drum and all.
So if you put it in gear, let the clutch out and the speedo does not show some speed you’ll need a clutch disc or transmission input shaft
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:22 AM   #6
Ricosan

Thanks for the replies. The car still has the original mechanical brakes. I’ve made sure that the hand brake is not engaged. The brake pedal feels normal.
It appears to be in the driveline. When I put in gear and start to let the clutch out, it just “digs in” and won’t go forward or reverse.

I will start the car after breakfast. I’ll see what it does in neutral.

Richard
Old 09-21-2020, 08:05 AM   #7
Charlie ny
BANNED

Ric,
There were two variations of shift towers in the '34 era. One had an additional sheet metal selector, shall I say, the other did not. The 'selector' I believe reduced the
likeyhood of grabbing two gears at once. Mac VanPelt will be here shortly to further
elucidate . Mac went over this in detail a year or two ago. These towers I think are
interchangeble.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:14 AM   #8
Ricosan

Hey guys,
Just got back from the garage. I shifted the transmission through the various gears, not necessarily in succession and the transmission felt normal. I started the engine and put in reverse, still a no go. I put it in first gear and feathered the clutch, no go. I went through second and third, same result. I then tried first to reverse, back and forth several times and it broke loose with a large bang!
While I’m relieved it’s no longer locked up, I’m now afraid it will lock up at a less convenient location than my garage. Is this an indication that the transmission needs a rebuild?

Richard
Old 09-21-2020, 12:29 PM   #9
Ricosan

Just got back from a short ride to make sure everything was still working the same as it did before the lockup. Everything seems to be working as before.
Now I am wondering if it could be in the rear end. Here is the reason I am thinking this now. When I was going through the gears it seemed the car wanted to go forward in 1 through 3 and backward when in reverse. The transmission was doing what it was supposed to do
Is this even possible for the rear end to lockup then “pop” loose and immediately resume normal operation? Is my car safe to drive?

Richard
Old 09-21-2020, 12:51 PM   #10
cas3

not likely the rear end. first, i would take out the shift lever and look for wear. be careful not to drop the small pin that is under the cap, in the threads on the right side. that pin, should be snug in the hole, and it should fit nicely in the square slot in the shift lever. the ball on the side of the shaft should not show too much wear, and it should be straight, not bent. forks and other parts in the cover wear too, but the shift lever is easy place to start. maybe should remove the cover anyway since you had the big bang, you may want to look at the low/reverse gears to look for a broken tooth
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:14 PM   #11
aussie merc

theres a thousand reasons for a lock up none but the bang thats scary i would drain the oils and see what comes out have a fish around with a magnet to see if i can find anything floating around and theses days end scopes that work off a smartphone are as cheap as off ebay let you have a good look without dismantling every thing Hope you dont find anything to bad
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:44 AM   #12
Ken/Alabama

My 40 done about the same thing about 25 years ago. Turned out to be the pilot bearing on the rear of the pinion gear had come apart and the rollers were getting caught up in the ring and pinion gear.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:55 PM   #13
Zax40

I've had several occasions here in the high humidity summer where a couple weeks passed without me driving my '53 and the rear shoes stick to the drum. Only happens when I leave the parking brake on while it sits though. It will do the same thing, big pop and then everything is fine. I try to leave it in neutral with the wheels chocked lately.
Zax40 is offline   Reply With Quote