Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
masterdave

Default Alternator/Generator questions.

So the generator on my 31 roadster is shot and needs to be replaced/rebuilt. I have been thinking about going with the 35 amp alternator option from Snyders.

First off has any one used it and how well does it work?

Secondly, and more importantly, do i need a cutout for an alternator like I for a generator?

Regards
Dave
masterdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Alternator/Generator questions.

I have an alt on mine as do many others (there when I got the car), no cutout needed.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
ford3

if the altenator is not internally regulated you will need a regulator, that is what you need to ask when buying an altenator
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
ba49

I added one to my 30 coupe and it works great. I changed it over because I went with the halogen lights. I used the 35amp and it works fine. I got it from Snyder's and they said it would handle the halogens. I use the car as a driver.
ba49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
luckyal

The Snyders alternator has an internal regulator and you do not need a cutout. You will be glad you made the change and you will indeed notice a big difference in the brightness of your lights !
Al
luckyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
Charlie Stephens

Let me give you an analogy. A beautiful young lady. Now picture her with 10 pierced earrings and a couple of tattoos. That is what I think of when I see an alternator on a Model A.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
BashawT

Does anyone know if the alternators Russ Evans builds in the original generator housing have an internal regulator? I'm thinking of going this route.
BashawT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
ford3

Hey Charlie, ear rings and tatooes are beautiful, LOL, once again its modern technoligy against 80 yr old technoligy, if your building a high points car i can see your point, but for practicality and safety, the alt is the way of the future,
Old 05-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
Patrick L.

If you decide on the alternator you probably should change the ammeter. Is there a real reason to go to an alternator ? An alternator an a Model A just ain't right, just my opinion.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
Tom Endy

One of the best kept secrets in the Model A hobby is Becker's Antique Auto Electric in Ohio. His prices beat any of the other suppliers. His alternators also "kick in" immediately when the engine starts.

I first met Larry Becker at the MAFCA national in Dallas in 1992 when I bought an alternator from him. I ran the alternator for years and about 30,000 miles until I burnt out a diode because I had a bad cell in the battery and the alternator was putting out its full rated current trying to charge a dead cell.

I again ran into Larry at a MAFCA national a few years ago and asked him if he could repair my alternator. "No problem, send it to me, it is under warranty" I reminded him how long ago I had purchased the alternator from him. "It doesn't matter, it is still under warranty".

I sent him my defective alternator and he sent me a new one, I only had to pay for shipping. I don't think you can beat a warranty like that.

Attached photo is his price sheet.

Tom Endy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Becker Antique Electric.jpg (38.3 KB, 122 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
ford3

an altenator gives all its amps at low rpms, nice when crusing around town with the lights on, no danger of running the battery down, and a generator has to have the engine wound up to charge
Old 05-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
If you decide on the alternator you probably should change the ammeter. Is there a real reason to go to an alternator ? An alternator an a Model A just ain't right, just my opinion.
You can avoid changing the ammeter by running a jumper wire across the terminals of the ammeter so only part of the current goes through the ammeter and the rest goes around it. Now the gauge will look stock and you just have to remember to adjust the reading in your head. Depending on your wiring, I think you can accomplish this at the junction box on the firewall.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
Kevin in NJ

The alternator is just not needed.

A generator properly rebuilt will run halogen headlights and probably outlast your grand child's use of the car.

The alternator when introduced was great for mechanics cause they failed more often. They became quick profit. Interesting to note you read more about people replacing new alternators and you never read about a properly rebuilt generator failing. The alt are pushed hard by the parts houses as they have a good profit margin. Plus you push the 12v change and you make more money.

The alternator is mis-matched to the A. The belt tension to get full output needs to be VERY tight, just look up the procedures in say a 65 Mustang shop manual. Most guys have the alt so loose the pulley can spin, at the very least the pulley moves with minimal force from one finger.
The alt will cause your fan belts to fail faster. My brother has 40 years on one belt and one generator. You read in the trip to Alaska they had to replace the belt twice. The pulley diameter is too small for the thick belt.
Finally, some single wire alt will draw a small amount of current which will discharge the battery over time.

For almost all people driving their A's the most reliable solution is the generator. Many do not understand charge balancing so installing a voltage regulator on the generator may make sense if you want to simplify your approach to your car.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashawT View Post
Does anyone know if the alternators Russ Evans builds in the original generator housing have an internal regulator? I'm thinking of going this route.
All of these are Russ' alternator units that I have installed. I don't think you can tell them from original units by looking at the exterior.

With that said, I concur with Kevin's comment that they are just not needed. I also agree with the 'piercing & tattoo' analogy as that sums it up pretty well IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 070.3.jpg (99.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 079.4.jpg (69.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2979.jpg (124.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 935565_10151905169513642_564108827_n.jpg (71.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 8432_165080288641_4498213_n.jpg (75.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 8432_165080358641_1212498_n.jpg (63.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3392.jpg (71.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3393.jpg (80.0 KB, 56 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
BashawT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
All of these are Russ' alternator units that I have installed. I don't think you can tell them from original units by looking at the exterior.

Really appreciate the pictures Brent. They will help when I start painting my engine. I'm going to give Russ a call next week.

Thanks!
BashawT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #16
Franchise_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyal View Post
The Snyders alternator has an internal regulator and you do not need a cutout. You will be glad you made the change and you will indeed notice a big difference in the brightness of your lights !
Al

Many would disagree with your statement. A properly configured generator works just fine. My lights are plenty bright at night. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #17
Franchise_24

Also, no need to ever get a alternator, just get Tom's regulator diode for the cutout and never worry about it again. I'm sure he will chime in eventually about how epic they are.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #18
1931 flamingo

This is like the oil debate.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #19
masterdave

For the time being the alternator provides a few advantages.

- Its a bit cheaper than a new generator
- It has higher output.

I use the car mainly to get around. In the summer it is driven at least every other day if not every day. It is not necessarily a show car although as of late it has been shown more since the number of Model A's seems to be dwindling, thus I dont mind if it is not completely original. I have contacted Larry about his alternators and await his response.

Note: I already have installed the 30-30 amp ammeter in the car so there is no need to upgrade that if I do go for the alternator.

Regards
Dave
Old 05-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #20
masterdave

Also,

What is the difference between the longnose and shortnose generators listed on Snyder's? How do I know which one I have?

Regards
Dave