Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2020, 10:19 PM   #1
bmwillia

Default Cooling system help needed

After 8 long years, I finally have my grandfather's coupe back on the road.

Drove around a little Thursday afternoon staying around 40-45mph and towards the end of my trip, a little coolant sprayed out of the top of the radiator. It was on a downshift and I chalked it up to that since the temp gauge was reading around 170.

Friday afternoon, Checked Coolant and I drove around some more and decided to push it a little. I didn't have my mufflers on yet so I was running open headers. Got it up close to 60mph and decided that was fast enough and let her coast down. Temp still in the 170 range and coolant really spewed out of the cap. Took a look at the cap (Greyhound repro) and the gaskets were pretty worn so I went to the autocrats store and got a new gasket. It improved things a little but I found that the ears of the cap were corroded to the point that they are not able to grab the ring of the radiator hole and pull the cap down tight.

Saturday after refilling the Radiator, it took about a gallon of coolant, I drove around all day. put about 60 miles on the car with no issues from the radiator. just a few very small spritzes of coolant a couple of times throughout the day and I chalked it up to the loose cap. Throughout the day I checked the temp gauge and the engine block with a laser and they matched up with the block temp reading about 10deg cooler as one would expect.

Sunday, a few more drives with no issues.

Today, I took it to the muffler shop first thing this morning, got the exhaust put on and picked it up about 2:30. The Muffler shop is on a main highway so I pushed it pretty hard on acceleration and cruised at around 50mph most of the way home, about 5 miles. No Issues.

This evening I got in it to drive a little and test out the lights. Drove about the same as I did this afternoon although I did not accelerate as hard. Hit a little over 50mph for a couple of miles on straight good road and came to a 4 way stop. Took a right and about 1/4 mile after taking off coolant began pouring out of the top of the radiator. The temp gauge was around 160. Started heading home and coolant continued to puke out of the radiator occasionally even as I babied it as much as I could. No steam, and the coolant that made it through the cowl even onto my leg was not hot enough to burn me. The car did not run hot until the last half mile when enough coolant had poured from the radiator and only then did I see steam.

What would cause my cooling system to puke coolant under load when the car is not hot?

I guess I have not ruled our overheating, but my measuring tools suggest that is not the case.

As a matter of fact, it happened one time within the first 1/4 mile after leaving my subdivision and accelerating hard.

I have ordered a rebuild kit for the greyhound cap. That is my starting point but other than that, Not sure where to look.

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2020, 07:58 AM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Cooling system help needed

Get a thermal temp gauge at Harbor Freight or off the i/net.I don't believe your gauge is accurate. Even if way overheated NO water/coolant should come out from the cap, do the g/hound rebuild and get the temp gun.
Most likely a plugged radiator or corroded cooling system or stuck t/stat(s), if installed.
Others will come in I'm sure.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:02 AM   #3
Terry,OH

Fill coolant to just cover the radiator tubes. Too much and it will come out.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:48 AM   #4
19Fordy

What happens if you drive with the radiator cap "loose" with no pressure?

Are your radiator hoses literally collapsing, restricting flow?

When you remove the radiator cap and let the engine reach operating temperature, can you see water flowing thru the system?

Could your thermostats have turned sideways inside the radiator hoses, restricting flow.

Remove thermostats and see what happens? Immerse them in hot water and observe the temperature at which they open.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 12:25 PM   #5
bmwillia

I have a laser temp gun from harbor freight and the temps I shoot are about 10 deg cooler than what the guage reads.

I'm not running stats and I don't believe the hoses are collapsing, unless they are doing it while driving. I'll get it up to temp this afternoon and open the hood and rev it by hand to see if there is any signs of the hoses collapsing.

I do see coolant moving in the radiator when the engine is running. I am pretty sure there is little to no pressure from the cap since it needs a rebuild and is essentially not sealing all the way.

I read several threads on here and at the HAMB last night. Maybe I am overfilling.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll do some more testing based on your suggestions and report back.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:34 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

If you have more fluid going into the radiator than what can flow through it and back to the engine, it is going to overflow. May need to get the radiator cleaned out. Might also try a pressure cap, low pressure, just a few psi and a catch can, just to see if that helps.

Installing thermostats might help as well!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 12:59 PM   #7
Floyd

I am with post #6 above. My basic theory is if you are having cooling issues and you do not have a full report on the condition of the radiator, then its time to go to your olde timey radiator shop and have them test it/ clean it and provide you with their opinion. This work is not expensive in the grand scheme of things and you will know a lot more than when you started. When you are chasing a bunch of variables, you have to get some solid info on the components involved or it will make you crazy.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 01:17 PM   #8
51woodie

When I bought my '46 Super Deluxe, I pulled the rad and heater core, to have them inspected, flushed and pressure tested, as I had read many posts about flatheads overheating. The report from the rad shop showed all was good. I replaced the water pumps to new style, all rad hoses, and went with 180 deg. stats. I would suggest that this service should be done on any old vehicle that sat around for many years.
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 01:41 PM   #9
tubman

I'm with "JSeery" on thermostats. They all came with them from the factory.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:01 PM   #10
bmwillia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I'm with "JSeery" on thermostats. They all came with them from the factory.
I didn't think the 33 had thermostats from the factory. Not arguing, I was just unaware.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:05 PM   #11
bmwillia

By the way, I do have two water pumps rebuilt by skip.

I really don't know that I am overheating until too much of the coolant comes out for the remaining coolant to keep the engine cool.

What you all are saying about flow makes sense though, could it be that there is enough restriction in the radiator that when running at higher RPM with Skips higher flow pumps that the water cannot move through the radiator fast enough and therefore backs up and out of the cap?
Old 10-06-2020, 02:25 PM   #12
47Monarch

Had issues with my 47 Monarch. Turned out the over flow tube was plugged with crud about half way replaced with rubber hose. I used a piece of string off my weed whacker to go through tube. Might want to check it out
47Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:37 PM   #13
Floyd

High flow pumps, no/low restriction in hoses and the "toilet is overflowing" . Report back on what Mr. radiator has to say. You are close to getting this sorted out.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:38 PM   #14
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwillia View Post
By the way, I do have two water pumps rebuilt by skip.

I really don't know that I am overheating until too much of the coolant comes out for the remaining coolant to keep the engine cool.

What you all are saying about flow makes sense though, could it be that there is enough restriction in the radiator that when running at higher RPM with Skips higher flow pumps that the water cannot move through the radiator fast enough and therefore backs up and out of the cap?
That sounds like the issue to me.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:55 PM   #15
EdB

I did all of the recommended actions, but the most noticeable result was to use the Old Henry method of flushing the block. Amazing amount of cr*p came ot.
EdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:48 PM   #16
Lawrie

33 .s have t/stats
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:42 PM   #17
Ken/Alabama

That cooling system is an open system therefore it can not build any pressure not even with a pressure cap. The overflow tube comes Right out of the top tank .Skip the water pump guy has an in-line 4 lb pressure relief that you place on the end of the overflow tube. Works great.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:47 PM   #18
Talkwrench

The only time I can recall mine doing anything like that would be because I had the radiator too full , loose cap and the theromsats would not have been open much... gave it too much too soon...
Old 10-06-2020, 07:50 PM   #19
Kurt in NJ

The temperature gauge reads only the side it is on, the other side can be overheating. and not show on the gauge
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 07:12 AM   #20
chap52

I agree with a radiator flush treatment and, filling to just above the baffles and no more than a 3# pressure cap.
With the older Model A's a contributor to overheating was that trusty (?) timing lever. How is the timing with your engine? Does the distributor advance when you rev it?
Just my 2 cents worth...keep the change... Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote