Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-25-2020, 10:31 AM   #1
Fullfendered

Default Cam installation issue.

Trying to install cam into block, cam is a Kiwi 100 from Tony. Cam bearings were installed at machine shop. Did not have cam when bearings were installed. Oiled bearings and journals for test fit. The cam would not slide in. The journals measures 1.797 and the cam bearing measures 1.794. I know obviously I need to go back to machine shop, any other advice? As always thanks in advance.
Fullfendered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:18 AM   #2
Phil Gillespie

Default Re: Cam installation issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullfendered View Post
Trying to install cam into block, cam is a Kiwi 100 from Tony. Cam bearings were installed at machine shop. Did not have cam when bearings were installed. Oiled bearings and journals for test fit. The cam would not slide in. The journals measures 1.797 and the cam bearing measures 1.794. I know obviously I need to go back to machine shop, any other advice? As always thanks in advance.
To have journals at cam machined to fit installed cam brgs. Back to machine shop would be my thoughts.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:19 AM   #3
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gillespie View Post
To have journals at cam machined to fit installed cam brgs. Back to machine shop would be my thoughts.
Phil NZ
My first reply misread Phil's reply, so I deleted it. I think I recall a thread about some cam bearings being incorrect. Go a Google search and include Fordbarn in the search line for it will bring up an threads on the topic from this site.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 08-25-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:31 PM   #4
Ken/Alabama

I would try a different set of cam bearings.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:32 PM   #5
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
I would try a different set of cam bearings.
I would too. I think that was the consensus of the previous thread.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 03:26 PM   #6
GOSFAST

This "problem" is in no way the customer's issue, a "better" machine shop would ALWAYS try a cam in the block after installing new cam brgs BEFORE sending it down the road!

Seen this many, many times over the years, sometimes a customer will assemble the entire short block and THEN try the cam, really, really bad idea!

Since Tony is doing regrinds it's likely NOT the cam, but some where more in the brgs themselves OR the hole sizes in the block??

(Add) Take this as a "tip", the very first item to check when the job is delivered is the cam fit! We try a cam in EVERY block we do BEFORE it ever leaves the shop, this is "etched-in-stone" here!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Most of these Flatheads have their cam holes on the "larger" side of the dimension, this is NOT a "backyard" fix here, it should definitely go back to the shop that installed them!!

Last edited by GOSFAST; 08-25-2020 at 05:09 PM. Reason: C
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 04:01 PM   #7
Bored&Stroked

1st: Make sure you mic the cam journals before you order cam bearings - have seen guys with .010 cam journals (and they didn't know it) - with STD bearings in the block. Cam goes in really easy . . . then wallows around . . . as you see low oil pressure and wonder why.

2nd: Before you even put the bearings in the block, check to see if they are the correct size and slide onto the cam journals . . . should be a nice slide-on fit.

Sometimes one has to hand polish the bearings once they are installed - as somebody managed to 'nick' them upon assembly . . . have seen this many times. I realize this should not have happened . . . but it does. A little ScotchBrite and some solvent . . . cleans things right up.

Third: If you're going to be running a mechanical fuel pump, make sure the rear cam bearing is correctly installed and that you can drop the fuel pump pushrod in and it goes through the cam bearing. Have seen folks put the cam bearing in wrong - never checking the fuel pump push rod . . . owner gets it home, puts his nice shiny new performance intake on it, tries to put in the fuel pump push rod . . . and it won't drop down. Whups! Time to tear the whole engine back down . . . yikes!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:49 PM   #8
flatjack9

Spec on the cam journal is 1.796 - 1.797, so your cam is not the problem.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:04 AM   #9
Fullfendered

Machine shop said bearings were bad and are correcting issue, thanks for all responses.
Fullfendered is offline   Reply With Quote