Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2016, 07:09 PM   #1
skeazle

Default oil filler tube and cap

Hi all, I was wondering if any one ever had a problem with oil splattering out of the cap over normal driving and getting on the engine? Are there baffles in the tube to prevent that? The man I got my '30 Tudor sedan from had brillo pad stuffed in the cap to prevent the oil from coming out of the cap when driving and it works. I my self really don't want a brill-o pad in there but then I don't want an oily looking engine either. I guess I could try a new cap to see if that works. Jim
skeazle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:16 PM   #2
Bill Wright

Default Re: oil filler tube and cap

You can buy an accessory road draft tube that attaches to the top of the filler pipe.
It ducts the fumes away from the engine compartment and HELPS eliminate the mess. It has a spring loaded cap to allow you to add oil. I got mine from Mikes Affordable A parts in Georgia.
Bill Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:23 PM   #3
skeazle

Thanks Bill. I'll have to look it up.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:26 PM   #4
MAG

Yes there are baffles in the tube to prevent oil from splattering out. However, I have seen many tubes with the baffles removed or bent so that they are ineffective. Check that first.
Blocking the proper ventilation of the tube can cause pressure to build in the pan resulting in oil being forced out the rear main.
If all checks out OK, try slipping a cotton sock over the pipe to prevent the splashing.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:42 PM   #5
skeazle

I never thought about the cotton socks! thanks Mag
Old 08-08-2016, 09:01 PM   #6
Kurt in NJ

I got to watch it happen on the smiths compresser, it was working 8 hour days for a week, if i filled the oil to the top of the "F" it spewed oil out the filler, when the oil level got to where it was "up to "F"---the bottom of the F it would mostly stop spewing oil----the model A is very good at ridding itself of excess fluids
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:02 PM   #7
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wright View Post
You can buy an accessory road draft tube that attaches to the top of the filler pipe.
It ducts the fumes away from the engine compartment and HELPS eliminate the mess. It has a spring loaded cap to allow you to add oil. I got mine from Mikes Affordable A parts in Georgia.
I've just had one of those devices fail. The cap came apart and dropped bits down the filler tube. NOT HAPPY!
Old 08-08-2016, 09:37 PM   #8
CT Jack

Never never never put anything in the filler tube. You might want to try dumping your oil and refilling the crankcase with 4 quarts and see how this works. You might be running with too much oil causing the excess oil to come out the filler tube.
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:51 PM   #9
Tom Endy

It is not a good idea to stuff a briilo pad in the filler tube as it is also a vent pipe to let the engine crank case vent. Blocking the vent pipe will create pressure that will force oil out over the labrance seal at the rear main and you are liable to have a giant oil leak.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:50 AM   #10
Tanglfoot

I am with CT Jack, I welded two MA filler tubes together one on top of the other, no oil spray since.

The older you get the better you were.
Tanglfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:30 AM   #11
CarlG

Fumaze to the rescue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fumaze2.JPG (11.1 KB, 170 views)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:36 PM   #12
Dutie

Ive used the stainless steel scrubbie pad by brillo. Very strong drill bit shavings meshed together and loose enough not to cause any breathing issues. It has worked for me for years and you cannot pull any pieces off to worry about falling down in the oil and no splash at all, hope this has been helpful.
Dutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:12 PM   #13
Greg Jones

Orientation of the baffles is important, according to the Ford Service Bulletins. When I last rebuilt my engine I rather mindlessly installed the filler tube, paying no attention to the orientation of the baffles. I should have twisted the filler tube 90 degrees counter clockwise but instead had it so that it acted like an oil scoop and leaked out the cap BIG TIME. Also, my counterweights on the crank made it worse. Worth checking it out-I don't recall the page in the Ford Service Bulletins but can look it up for you-they were explicit in baffle orientation.
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:40 PM   #14
Chuck Sea/Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
Orientation of the baffles is important, according to the Ford Service Bulletins. When I last rebuilt my engine I rather mindlessly installed the filler tube, paying no attention to the orientation of the baffles. I should have twisted the filler tube 90 degrees counter clockwise but instead had it so that it acted like an oil scoop and leaked out the cap BIG TIME. Also, my counterweights on the crank made it worse. Worth checking it out-I don't recall the page in the Ford Service Bulletins but can look it up for you-they were explicit in baffle orientation.
I can't find anything in the service bulletins. Maybe you read it somewhere else?
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:54 PM   #15
Fred S

I'd like to know the correct orientation too. I don't have a problem puttering around town, but my starter gets covered with oil if I run 45-50 mph for a long time. And I usually run below the full mark.

Last edited by Fred S; 10-03-2016 at 10:09 PM.
Fred S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:56 AM   #16
V4F

I extended my filler tube . no problems
Old 10-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #17
john charlton

Blowby at the oil filler cap is generally caused by excess crankcase pressure . This is caused by worn cylinder bores or worn valve guides or both . When the engines fires some exhaust gasses bypass the rings or valve guides, this causes oil to be blown out of the filler tube/cap . The engine will run happily in this condition for many miles but it is a drag having oil on the firewall .One sure cure is to fit an AA filler tube and cap this does work very well , I have this setup on several cars with high mileage engines . The after market tube extensions work fine too . I would try everything first before putting stuff in the tube . IMHO .

John in sunny evening Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:46 PM   #18
john charlton

Thinking about it it maybe you dont have an AA filler tube in USA . It is the same length as the regular tube but about two and a half inch dia. as opposed to the one and a half inch dia . The extra dia. cuts down the velocity of the blowby enough to stop oil escaping . BB trucks in USA had these they seem fairly common at swap meets and look way cooler than those accessory tall tubes and dangling pipes !!!

John in same place no changes .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:50 PM   #19
old31

SK, this is the pipe that Bill mentioned. I installed the same and it works.

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/oil-breather
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:37 PM   #20
Greg Jones

I got this information out of the yellow Dan Post book, which technically is not the body of Service Bulletins but a compilation and condensation of them. I am looking at Page 454, upper left hand entitled "New Breather Pipe." It says: "To lessen any possibility of oil working past the breather pipe, breather pipe A-6763 has been adopted (see Fig. 896). The baffles in the new pipe point downward and towards the center of the pipe. This directs the oil away from the edge of the pipe and lessens any possibility of oil working past the breather cap."

Obviously, for an old tired engine with blowby this is not a cure-all. I find, in my engine with counterweights, that the counterweights really sling the oil so I did not have a blowby problem. After orienting the filler tube as shown in Fig. 896 (I can scan it and post it this weekend) my problem was dramatically reduced. YMMV, of course.....
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote