Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
Alan O'Connell

Default Green Bible question

I saw a green bible for sale on the swap meet. The inside cover says November 1950. I have a very similar book. It is orange and is dated April 1949. It lists the same years 1928-1948 for passenger cars and 1928 -1947 for trucks. It was given to me over 40 years ago by my grandfather who was a long time Ford mechanic and service manager. Prior to that he was on the Boston police force and was one of the strickers in 1919. I'm sure some have heard of the Boston police strike. I digress. Does anyone know if there is any difference between the green and orange books?
Alan O'Connell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
Gary in La.

Default Re: Green Bible question

No, there is not much difference between them. The green book was the last reprint made by Ford to be distributed to the dealers. It probably has more of the later alternate parts listed in it which in my opinion makes the orange book more accurate. As most of us know the parts books with the print dates closest to your car year will have the most correct part numbers. But, since many of those parts have been replaced by later production parts the green book has it's place in finding useable parts for your car.
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
OldIron

If I understand you correctly, the Green Bible is a reprint of the 49-51 Service Manual and the book you have is an illustrated parts manual.
OldIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
jaxV8carz

I have the "Green Bible" also. It covers as shop manual 1949, 1950, and 1951 Fords and is not a parts listing book. Mine is dated November 1950 and is an original, not reprint. It got used a lot by some old guy. The page edges are pretty grimy.
jaxV8carz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

I've never sat down and compared the '49 and '50 Bibles, but I think most of the differences will be the offerings of late engine parts like crankshafts as service replacements and perhaps a few "8" prefix accessories...
Oh, you late-model people considering the '49-51 cumulation a Bible! You are following a heretical sect, I'm afraid. What is the world coming to??
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote