Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-31-2017, 06:15 PM   #21
Synchro909

Default Re: Engine Loses Power on Hills

If this problem developed over time whether long or short, it isn't the diff ratio.
I'd check everything that can be adjusted, one thing at a time.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:19 PM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

Start with the easy checks first. Spark test, then if that's OK, I'd look for fuel blockage, or a tank of bad fuel.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:21 PM   #23
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Dave,

In your question:

"I'm working with a Model A friend whose engine is losing power when the car is climbing hills. Runs well on level roads."

These may appear like kindergarten questions; but, a few basic questions not yet asked are:

1. First, how steep are these hills? And,

2. Does he have a stock Model A engine? And,

3. Does he have friends who have similar Model A stock engines that are also losing power when they climb these same hills?

4. Is it possible that any stock Model A possibly would lose power in these particular hills?
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:33 PM   #24
antiquepa

I Have the same problem, the car would clime hill when I first got the car, later at 50,000 miles it runs great on level but when I get to the hill it starts to clime but in no time I have to go into second gear. It used to eat these hill, checked compression, timeing, point gap, but still no answer, just figure its just getting tired, maybe time for a rebuild. If anyone comes up with an answer [please pass it on. I never check the gas filter in the tank but its worth a shot. Still looking for answers!!!
antiquepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:57 PM   #25
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquepa View Post
I Have the same problem, the car would clime hill when I first got the car, later at 50,000 miles it runs great on level but when I get to the hill it starts to clime but in no time I have to go into second gear. It used to eat these hill, checked compression, timeing, point gap, but still no answer, just figure its just getting tired, maybe time for a rebuild. If anyone comes up with an answer [please pass it on. I never check the gas filter in the tank but its worth a shot. Still looking for answers!!!
What were your compression numbers?
Old 05-31-2017, 10:24 PM   #26
RonC

Blown head gasket?
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:21 PM   #27
H. L. Chauvin

Mr. antiquepa,

Not trying to be funny; however, rather than continuing this guessing game,

1. First, try removing the air filter on your wife's car, all of your neighbors' cars, and your riding lawn mower; and,

2. Then allow each to drive 50,000 miles without air & oil filters just like many Model A engines without air & oil filters; and,

3. Finally, for the "Big Surprise", call up each modern vehicle manufacturers' engine testing department and ask them to "Guess" what could have happened to these unfiltered engines after driving 50,000 miles "without" manufacturers' designed and recommended air & oil filters.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 06-01-2017 at 12:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-01-2017, 10:08 AM   #28
Big hammer

Umm, I would check the muffler, could be partially clogged with rust or a mouse house !
Old 06-01-2017, 11:33 AM   #29
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW:

I had an Uncle born in 1905 who worked or cars all of his life, and was manager and supervisor of a car dealership from the late 1920's through the early 1940's.

He told me back in the late 1950's that when dirt and gravel roads preceded paved roads, without air and without oil filters, vintage cars could travel about 8,000 miles prior to beginning to burn oil, beginning to have nauseating crankcase fumes, and exposing embarrassing smoke exiting the the tail pipe.

After engine wear, some responsible car owners requested engine re-builds, others thought nothing of continuing to drive around with worn out engines, thus resembling mosquito control vehicles smoking up the neighborhood.

Today, (2017), amounts of unfiltered harmful surface grit entering engines, (on today's paved roads), are not distributed in uniform amounts all over the U.S.

Lots depends on wind and soil conditions adjacent to today's paved highways, and also on numbers of vehicles leaving side dirt roads and industrial plants and tracking various harmful particles on paved roads.

There will always be a few Model A concepts that will always be certain:

A. Rather than add a Model A oil filter, and a Hi-Boy 6" K&N air filter, most Model A owners will continue to try not to spend money in order to see what they can get by with; and,

B. Others drive so little each year, as current seniors, they know their Model A engines will outlast the current owners ..... so why add filters?

C. Excuses for not filtering Model A engines will always be based on repeated Model A Forum conjecture.

D. Some have show cars and only want originality.

Suggestion: Respect every Model A opinion, drive and have fun ..... it is far later than any of us think.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 06-01-2017 at 11:36 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-02-2017, 04:11 PM   #30
Pilotdave

Default Re: Engine Loses Power on Hills - UPDATE in this Post

Update added to original post.

Dave
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:59 PM   #31
Brian T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotdave View Post
Update added to original post.

Dave
Nice going David, a excellent report that would come from a experienced pilot, thanks.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:09 PM   #32
H. L. Chauvin

So often recommended in order to try to find unknown reported Model A problems ........... nothing like seeking local "hands-on" advice from a Model A mechanic friend next door.

Wonderful assistance Dave. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:21 PM   #33
Truckintom

This is something that I remember from my dad talking about 29's and similar designs,that when the fuel tank level is low that they would starve for fuel because of where the fuel tank feed line was at, the quick answer was to go up the hill backwards and it would not run out of fuel supply, some times the simple things get overlooked ,looking for other problems that are not there, hope it helps, my dad was 21 in 1929
Truckintom is offline   Reply With Quote