Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-24-2015, 07:35 PM   #21
ktgarcia

Default Re: Starting my rebuilt flathead

Thanks for all of your input. To let you all know, I successfully fired up the flathead last Saturday. I had a small oil leak at the top of the oil cannister which I believe I now have fixed. I started it again today and I need to adjust the carburater, but I am happy after doing the restoration.

I now have another problem, that I am trying to diagnose.

When I turn my switch on, my oil gage goes up to the maximum pressure with the engine not running. I have checked the gage with instructions I read on the Barn about disconnecting it and hooking it up to a "D" cell and it went to mid-range.

In addition, the fuel gage does not register anything and I have about a 1/2 tank of gas in it. I have power to the sending unit and it is new. I have checked the gage the same way I did the oil gage, and it went to the mid-scale as did the oil gage.

When I touch the resistor which has one side connected to the switch and the other going to the coil, it seems excessively hot.

Is there something that I am missing about the wiring? I have double and triple checked the wiring and I believe I have it hooked up correctly based on the wiring diagrams.

What should I do next to check the oil an fuel gages?

Thanks again for everyone's response to my questions. I don't know if the engine would have started without all of your input.

K
ktgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:23 PM   #22
39topless

Default Re: Starting my rebuilt flathead

Is your gas gauge sender grounded to the frame or body?
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)