Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-14-2016, 02:28 PM   #1
Ron/IA

Default Vendor Shock Absorbers

Our club held its monthly tech session yesterday on Model A shock absorbers. One of our very knowledgeable members conducted it. He usually uses one of the handful of rebuilders in the country, as this method has been most cost effective, and the rebuilder he used most did a very quality job.

Of course we know you can buy new manufactured shocks; ie. Stipe, Brattons, Snyders, etc.

Recently, there has been a persistent rumor that the shocks sold by Brattons and Snyders when subjected to a very severe bump; the insides break.

Now, this is strictly a rumor. Currently none of our club members are using vendor sold shocks (only Stipe or rebuilt at present). So, since we do not have first hand knowledge of said shocks; I was wondering that those Model A owners who do could tell the rest of us their personal experience with them.

Personally, I would not hesitate to buy and use the vendor shocks; our vendors available to the Model A hobby do sell and service with quality.

I look forward to comments, and will forward said information to club members.

Thanks,

Hawk A Model A Ford Club
http://hawkamodelaclub.org/
Ron/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:44 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Vendor Shock Absorbers

Not fair!
Old 02-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #3
mshmodela

I cannot comment on rumors... However, my Stipe shocks thus far did well in the Cleveland Pot/Chuck hole streets of Cleveland...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGwz6kafn3A

I would imaging that if a part sold by Snyder's failed due to a manufactured flaw, I would highly think Don myself would make it "GOOD" as he has done for me on one part.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio

Last edited by mshmodela; 02-14-2016 at 03:43 PM.
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:43 PM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I personally do not believe we should comment on rumours that may well be unfounded. I think you have done a grave injustice to both vendors. If you have no proof, why even mention it ? A very unfair post. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 02-14-2016 at 04:08 PM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:54 PM   #5
1955cj5

I plan to get shocks for my pickup.

I called Bratton's and asked them if the shocks they sell were to fail after the one year warranty, would they be repairable?

They said that they have sold over 500 ( don't know if that is sets or individual units) and none have come back.

They also said that they would "work with me" if one failed after the warranty.

As Stipe shocks are not currently available options are limited....

I will probably buy Bratton's when the time comes.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #6
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron/IA View Post
Our club held its monthly tech session yesterday on Model A shock absorbers. One of our very knowledgeable members conducted it. He usually uses one of the handful of rebuilders in the country, as this method has been most cost effective, and the rebuilder he used most did a very quality job.

Of course we know you can buy new manufactured shocks; ie. Stipe, Brattons, Snyders, etc.

Recently, there has been a persistent rumor that the shocks sold by Brattons and Snyders when subjected to a very severe bump; the insides break.

Now, this is strictly a rumor. Currently none of our club members are using vendor sold shocks (only Stipe or rebuilt at present). So, since we do not have first hand knowledge of said shocks; I was wondering that those Model A owners who do could tell the rest of us their personal experience with them.

Personally, I would not hesitate to buy and use the vendor shocks; our vendors available to the Model A hobby do sell and service with quality.

I look forward to comments, and will forward said information to club members.

Thanks,
Ron is talking about Lee Votroubek and John Holland. Lee told me two days ago he was going to present a shock Seminar and wanted John Holland's phone number to obtain permission from John to do the rebuilding.

I tell you all this because John Holland just sent me four rebuilt shocks for my 30 CCPU.

Wonderful job. I recommend John very highly.. John is one of two in the Country with a stellar reputation.

Larry
Old 02-14-2016, 06:11 PM   #7
1931 flamingo

Ron/IA: In order to put the rumors to rest (or confirm) have you contacted either Bratton's or Snyder's and asked??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:11 PM   #8
Lawrie

I put a set of new replacement shocks on my 28 A about 15 yrs back,they only did about 5000klms then stopped working,
I took them all off and just put them in a bin.
This last few months I made some tooling to disassemble the V8 shocks for my V8,s and having got them all working great decided to look at the old model A ones.
in a word they were cr-p.
cast iron shafts,not machined in side just as cast,no way of refilling or make up oil getting into the chamber,no difference in the damping (compression or rebound).
They look good on the outside but not inside.
I also repaired some V8 ones for a mate and two of them were repos,these too had a cast iron shafts that broke when I disassembled it.
No where near the quality of the originals
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #9
31 RPU

What kind of tools did you make?
I made a tool this weekend but not sure if it works or not.
It is a band that clamps around a shock and as you turn it, it clamps tighter sort of like an oil filter tool.
31 RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:26 PM   #10
Lawrie

The tools were for pulling the v8 ones apart,the A ones just need a strap tool and a punch to loosen the lock ring.
The V8 ones take a lot more effort .
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:58 AM   #11
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron/IA View Post
This seems to be the first of any mention of problems with either shock on The Ford Barn. From what I understand the Brattons and Snyders are from different sources. I wonder what the chances are that they would have the same type of failure??
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:27 AM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
This seems to be the first of any mention of problems with either shock on The Ford Barn. From what I understand the Brattons and Snyders are from different sources. I wonder what the chances are that they would have the same type of failure??
That's why I said unfair. We have read here that Bratton's states with 500 sold, no returns. So is it only the Snyders ones that are doing this? I have read the same thing, both are sourced from different people but never heard here that anyone has had problems.

Rumors with no basis in fact and without a single first hand report is not fair to the vendors.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:21 PM   #13
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
I personally do not believe we should comment on rumours that may well be unfounded. I think you have done a grave injustice to both vendors. If you have no proof, why even mention it ? A very unfair post. Wayne
Have you found any facts to support this unfair accusation ? Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 02-16-2016 at 05:49 PM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:24 AM   #14
don3527

The failures that are being reported came about from the shocks that were manufactured by M&S Hydraulics. We didn't always have that problem with the M&S shocks, it only came about within the last 5 years of when we used to handle them. We probably had 5 or so that failed like that. Our biggest problem with the M&S shocks was oil leaks. Our first batch of shocks arrived in early 2015. We have sold close to 400 of these shocks since that time and have not had any returned. Our shocks are fully adjustable and use the same oil reservoir as they did originally. Our shocks are not the same shocks that Bratton is selling. Thank You, Don Snyder
don3527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #15
Sunnybrook Farm

Has anybody seen how long original shocks worked? There is kind of an unspoken idea that they are better quality but they seem to be a high maintenance poor design based on what came later.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:51 AM   #16
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybrook Farm View Post
Has anybody seen how long original shocks worked? There is kind of an unspoken idea that they are better quality but they seem to be a high maintenance poor design based on what came later.
IMHO, much of the "unspoken ideas" are actually repeated information from a 'He said/She said' source. Unfortunately, there is much of that floats around our hobby!

Originally, shocks were filled with Glycerin. Glycerin can absorb water, ...and if something wasn't properly maintenance, it failed. I know of many original shock absorbers that are still within factory specifications (i.e.: not worn out!!) that work well with oil of the same viscosity substituted for the Glycerin. They would still work satisfactory if Glycerin were used instead but the oil is likely an improvement for those who are unwilling to keep up their maintenance.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:55 AM   #17
29Cabriolet

I just installed a set of Bratton's shocks. When I ordered, they told me Bratton's manufacture them. (their name is engraved where the Ford logo is on the originals)

With the mild weather here in the northeast last weekend I had a chance to take them out for a test drive. They were a dramatic improvement over the existing originals. Those of course were essentially not working at all. And two of them were not rebuildable. I've only got about 50 miles or so on them so far, so time will tell!
29Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:06 AM   #18
Sunnybrook Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
IMHO, much of the "unspoken ideas" are actually repeated information from a 'He said/She said' source. Unfortunately, there is much of that floats around our hobby!

Originally, shocks were filled with Glycerin. Glycerin can absorb water, ...and if something wasn't properly maintenance, it failed. I know of many original shock absorbers that are still within factory specifications (i.e.: not worn out!!) that work well with oil of the same viscosity substituted for the Glycerin. They would still work satisfactory if Glycerin were used instead but the oil is likely an improvement for those who are unwilling to keep up their maintenance.
That is good to know, I had no idea that oil would work, should jack oil be used since it is for hydraulics? A guy I know bought an A that has black oil of some kind running out of the shocks, I think it is too thick, maybe gear oil that might get forced out of the seals when in use.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:25 AM   #19
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by don3527 View Post
The failures that are being reported came about from the shocks that were manufactured by M&S Hydraulics. We didn't always have that problem with the M&S shocks, it only came about within the last 5 years of when we used to handle them. We probably had 5 or so that failed like that. Our biggest problem with the M&S shocks was oil leaks. Our first batch of shocks arrived in early 2015. We have sold close to 400 of these shocks since that time and have not had any returned. Our shocks are fully adjustable and use the same oil reservoir as they did originally. Our shocks are not the same shocks that Bratton is selling. Thank You, Don Snyder
Thank you for posting this Don.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:06 PM   #20
Tom Wesenberg

Yes, what Brent said.
I have a good working set of 4 numbered shocks for my 1928, but before I install them I will drain and flush whatever is in them and use oil.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote