Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-29-2020, 04:24 PM   #1
Lawson Cox

Default 4th of July.

Be prepared for the 4th, get a fifth on the third. Don't be caught short.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:59 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: 4th of July.

Lawson, you're showing your age posting this, and I'm showing mine by responding. I'll bet they haven't bottled a fifth of liquor in this country for fifty years. I will admit it's awkward to say "Be prepared for the 4th, get 750 millilitres on the third. Don't be caught short."

That just don't work at all.

For all of you young whippersnappers out there, it was called a "fifth" because it was a fifth of a gallon. Why? I don't know; it may have been due to some arcane way they taxied liquor back in those days.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:10 PM   #3
39portlander

Lawson, you have a great fourth and I will not be putting the tomatoes in the fruit salad
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:07 PM   #4
Jack E/NJ

750ml has always been only a few weenie ml short of a fifth. Even in the olden days. But a weenie here and a wienie there and in 50 years you're talking about being shorted a lot of weenies. Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:15 PM   #5
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
750ml has always been only a few weenie ml short of a fifth. Even in the olden days. But a weenie here and a wienie there and in 50 years you're talking about being shorted a lot of weenies. Jack E/NJ
When you are saving up for a new yacht, every little weenie counts.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:01 PM   #6
GB SISSON

So. is a fifth, a fifth of a gallon as opposed to a 4th which is a quart? Always wondered what it meant.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:29 PM   #7
tubman

Yep/ Used to be fifths, quarts, and half-gallons. I have seen larger on wrought iron stands. Now it 750 millilitres and 1.75 liters. One area where they were finally able to force metric measurements on the USA.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:23 PM   #8
ford38v8

Shows my ignorance too. I never knew they did away with fifths. Tell me, do they still have half pints and pints? My father was never without his half pint of Early Times! On paydays, he'd splurge and bought pints!
Old 06-30-2020, 12:36 AM   #9
GB SISSON

While I seldom buy or consume hard liquor I have been intrigued by a whiskey called 'old grand-dad'. I think that's because of a Hank Jr song. One of my grandkids calls me that and I thought of painting it over the windshield of my tonner. Sort of the name of the truck (and me). I asked the manager of the grocery store tonight (Washington State sells liquor in the grocery store)and he never heard of it ???... Not sure where this came from on a discussion of the fourth of July and an old ford site at that. Nonetheless I am a proud American and I look forward to the Holiday even though my grandkids won't be with us in the parade, There won't even BE a parade! But I will still be proud to say 'This is my country". End of rant.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 06-30-2020, 02:24 AM   #10
flatford8

Happy fourth Gary!!....Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F1AB92FE-239E-4657-B5EC-33401DECBC16.jpg (18.9 KB, 28 views)
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:55 AM   #11
V8COOPMAN

Well I surely didn't realize the nomenclature (nor the actual amount) had changed, but Al Gore's internet says that 1/5 gallon, or 4/5 quart is 25.6 ounces, which is so very close to 750ml (25.4oz) that we still use the term fifth to describe this size bottle. The fifth stopped being the standard size of a U.S. liquor bottle on January 1, 1980. I'll stick to my Bud Light Lime! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:37 AM   #12
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
While I seldom buy or consume hard liquor I have been intrigued by a whiskey called 'old grand-dad'. I think that's because of a Hank Jr song. One of my grandkids calls me that and I thought of painting it over the windshield of my tonner. Sort of the name of the truck (and me). I asked the manager of the grocery store tonight (Washington State sells liquor in the grocery store)and he never heard of it ???... Not sure where this came from on a discussion of the fourth of July and an old ford site at that. Nonetheless I am a proud American and I look forward to the Holiday even though my grandkids won't be with us in the parade, There won't even BE a parade! But I will still be proud to say 'This is my country". End of rant.
Old Grand-Dad is good sipping whiskey. Happy 4th.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:01 AM   #13
tubman

"Early Times"? "Old Grand Dad"? We seem to have some "Traditionalists" here in more ways than one.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:14 PM   #14
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
"Early Times"? "Old Grand Dad"? We seem to have some "Traditionalists" here in more ways than one.

Early Times was my father's rotgut. He'd pass it to me for a shot that would give me a shiver you couldn't fake. For me today, Makers 46 is my poison if any at all, and I just might break it out on the 4th, by golly!
Old 07-01-2020, 07:33 PM   #15
russcc

Rotgut, how about "Old Mr. Boston". If we all drive our EV8s on the 4th with a flag stuck on it somewhere, that's an individual parade, or team up with EV8 friends. I find where ever I go on local roads in the '29 roadster hot rod, I get thumbs up, a yell or a wave. Spread the fun around .
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:45 PM   #16
GB SISSON

I already have the 48 star cotton canvas flag attached to the woodie for our 'parade' around town on the fourth. I'll have the old grand dad when we return home!
Old 07-01-2020, 07:49 PM   #17
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Shows my ignorance too. I never knew they did away with fifths. Tell me, do they still have half pints and pints? My father was never without his half pint of Early Times! On paydays, he'd splurge and bought pints!
I was "obligated" to stop by the local liquor store yesterday. Your question piqued my interest, so I checked out the "little bottles" they still keep behind the register.

No more pints or half-pints; all I saw were 375 millilitres.

Them damn Europeans finally got us!

Last edited by tubman; 07-01-2020 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:25 PM   #18
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I was "obligated" to stop by the local liquor store yesterday. Your question piqued my interest, so I checked out the "little bottles" they still keep behind the register.

No more pints or half-pints; all I saw were 375 millilitres.

Them damn Europeans finally got us!

Well, I'd still be carrying my 6" steel rule in my pen pocket, but I ain't got nuthin 6" to measure anymore.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:33 PM   #19
cmbrucew

Forget the europeans, the canadians had imperial quarts of VO.

Sober over 10 years.

Bruce
Old 07-01-2020, 09:41 PM   #20
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Well, I'd still be carrying my 6" steel rule in my pen pocket, but I ain't got nuthin 6" to measure anymore.
I still have my 6 inch P&E slide rule. I don't know if they metricized those or not.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote