Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-10-2020, 09:01 AM   #1
denny03830

Default Model A Turn Signal

I would like some recommendations for a quality turn signal kit for my 1931 Model A pickup. There appears to be may choices.
denny03830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:53 AM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: Model A Turn Signal

Signal-Stat 900 [ any signal-stat will work fine]
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:19 AM   #3
Curtis in MA

Get a self canceling one.
Curtis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:30 AM   #4
Dave in MN

I have two Electro-Tech self cancelling turn signal kits. One, a six volt system, is installed with a hidden switch and the other, a 12 volt system, has the steering column mounted switch. Both work excellent. The only issue I have ever had is bad grounding after about 10 years of use. I de-mounted the lights, cleaned the mating surfaces, reassembled and it was all back to working order.

The system will flash 14 times and then cancel. If you interrupt the count to 14 by pressing the brake, the count will halt, while continuing to flash until the brake pedal is released and then the count continues toward self-cancelling.
Approach a stoplight signalling your turn, press the brake and your signal keeps flashing. Stoplight changes...off the brake pedal and you are still signalling as you make the corner and shortly after it stops.
No longer have the problem of forgetting to cancel the signal.

I have an early version of the kit that only flashes for a given interval. I do not have the one that senses going around the corner. When I purchased my second unit, he informed me that I could trade my original module in for a set price and obtain the latest version. I don't recall what the cost to upgrade was.

The system is not inexpensive but IMO worth every dollar.

Their website:
www.turnswitch.com

Great customer service also.
Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 06-11-2020 at 07:43 AM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:55 PM   #5
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MN View Post
I have two Electro-Tech self cancelling turn signal kits. One, a six volt system, is installed with a hidden switch and the other, a 12 volt system, has the steering column mounted switch. Both work excellent. The only issue I have ever had is bad grounding after about 10 years of use. I de-mounted the lights, cleaned the mating surfaces, reassembled and it was all back to working order.

The system will flash 14 times and then cancel. If you interrupt the count to 14 by pressing the brake, the count will halt, while continuing to flash until the brake pedal is released and then the count continues toward self-cancelling.
Approach a stoplight signalling your turn, press the brake and your signal keeps flashing. Stoplight changes...off the brake pedal and you are still signalling as you make the corner and shortly after it stops.
No longer have the problem of forgetting to cancel the signal.
The system is not inexpensive but IMO worth every dollar.

Their website:
www.turnswitch.com

Great customer service also.
Good Day!
Agree. I installed one on my '31 fordor and like it. I used the column mounted switch. Relatively compact and looks a LOT better than the big clunky signal stats that are commonly used IMO. I will be getting another one for my delivery when it's done.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:48 PM   #6
RB_Nielsen

X2 for turnswitch.com. Their solid state system self cancels based on going around the corner or via user-set number of clicks after brake is released. Works on 6V or 12V, does NOT require troublesome flasher, and works on all LED lights. I bought the cheaper toggle switch setup and haven’t looked back.
RB_Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:01 AM   #7
Bill G

Looks like everyone likes the Elecro-tech (turnswitch.com). I have one and like it very much too. It costs more than a Signal Stat, but I think it's worth the money.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:32 AM   #8
Badpuppy

Signal Stat clones can be had on eBay for about $15 and work fine, I can attest. But I really like the Electro Tech design, and I'm envious of those who have them

Choose your poison.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:06 AM   #9
Y-Blockhead

Or it is relatively easy to fab your own "kit" (if your into that kind of thing or cheap like me). My switch is hidden under the dash rail, I don't care for that big switch on the steering column (and my Sport-Lite handle is taking up that space).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A Turn Signals.jpg (10.9 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 06-11-2020 at 02:06 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:20 AM   #10
Conaway2

I’m very happy with the LogoLites turn signal kit ($199). It requires no modification to the car at all, and is easy to install. The control box is small and has a strong magnet to hold it where ever you want to mount it. I have mine to the left of the steering wheel on the gas tank just under the dash rail. It will signal turns and also flash all 4 LEDs as emergency flashers. It’s not self-cancelling, but the switch flashes and makes a chirping sound to remind you to turn it off. It works with 6 or 12 V systems.
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:28 PM   #11
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conaway2 View Post
I’m very happy with the LogoLites turn signal kit ($199). It requires no modification to the car at all, and is easy to install. The control box is small and has a strong magnet to hold it where ever you want to mount it. I have mine to the left of the steering wheel on the gas tank just under the dash rail. It will signal turns and also flash all 4 LEDs as emergency flashers. It’s not self-cancelling, but the switch flashes and makes a chirping sound to remind you to turn it off. It works with 6 or 12 V systems.

The Logo Lites system is impressive looking to me too, but I already have the Electro-Tech which I am happy with. I guess you can't have both.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:51 PM   #12
springerpete

Denny: I built my own turn signals for both my T and A. It was a fun project to do and even better when they worked fine after the job was done. Both are 6 volt. Flashers came from auto parts store nearby. I think they were for old VW's. The switch is a double throw also from the same store. It is not self cancelling though. Wiring is similar to what was on each car. Lang's and Tam's supplied them. Lights for the T came from a truck stop shop that had a huge inventory to pick from. They are amber and 3" in diameter. For my A I used the regular rear lights ( I added one on the right side ) and for the front I use amber driving lights mounted on the bumper brackets. They do look period correct.

I do not care for the logo lites as they are not eye catching in traffic. I think they are to small and easily missed. I tour frequently with a friend who has them on his car. My opinion. It was a fun project. Both switches are mounted on the steering column in the normal position. I made small metal boxes and they are held on with ss clamps. Glad you are considering putting them on you car. Bill
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote