Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-17-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
stallerl

Default Emergency Brake Springs Location?

I am having difficulty determining where the small springs that hold the
e-brake band in place. I'm assuming the spring for upper part of the band attaches to the small tab with a hole in it over to the vent hole on the e-brake band carrier. It seems to fit and pull the band back in place. It's the lower spring that is giving me trouble. When I attach it to the small tab then over the the vent hole (it's really a stretch) it causes the band to bind and allows the band to pull off the edge of the carrier when I activate the lever by hand.
Does anyone have a photo of where and how the springs are to be attached to the band and the carrier?
Once I get these springs installed correctly I can get the car back on the road. And I'm anxious to do so. After all, it was 85 here in Huntington Beach today!
stallerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:04 PM   #2
Rusty Homestead Fl

Default Re: Emergency Brake Springs Location?

Will this help any? Not my pic but it helped me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Proj_13_27.jpg (119.3 KB, 134 views)
Rusty Homestead Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:16 AM   #3
stallerl

Rusty, thanks for the photo. It's exactly what I need. I'll check what I have going on with my car and then will do what I have to do to make them look like the photo. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2014, 08:49 PM   #4
stallerl

Well, I found out what my problem was! Someone in the past reversed the e-brake band carriers putting the left one on the right and the right on the left. Being in the incorrect positions located the bands incorrectly and didn't allow the springs to be properly attached. In other words the whole e-brake set up was screwed up!
I flipped the carriers and all is good. Tomorrow I'll finish it up and take it for a test drive along with a e-brake holding test.
"On the road again"!
Old 01-18-2014, 09:28 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

There shouldn't be a left and right to the parking brake bands, but there is an inside and outside. Where the toggles pin to the band the bracket has an offset. The offset goes against the carrier. That is the part of the bracket that is offset rides against the carrier, not the pin end of the bracket.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:37 PM   #6
stallerl

Tom, the carriers were reversed which caused the bands to be in the wrong position and no place to attach the lower small spring. Once I reversed the carriers (only the carriers) everything is fitting together properly. Thanks for the heads up on the proper install of the bands to the carriers. I'll re-assemble tomorrow.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:58 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Darn Minnesota winters! The brain activity slows down when the temp stays around zero. I was thinking bands instead of carriers.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:31 PM   #8
stallerl

Oh I know what you mean. It was a chilly 78 degrees today! Maybe tomorrow it'll warm up a bit! Ha!
I grew up in New Jersey and remember the cold winters. (not as cold as Minnesota but cold). I had a friend run base board heat into the garages so I can work on the cars when I was done shoveling snow. Now it's So Cal for us.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:57 AM   #9
Mel Gross

If anybody in the future needs help on backing plates, I live in Huntington Beach too and I have been building the backing plates, pressing hubs to drums, and assembling F100 steering boxes for my dad for years. I would be glad to help.
Thanks to all who have - had supported and been a part of my dad's life. He passed away a week ago today. He had a overwhelming passion for Model A's and wanted to be someone that all could go to or call for help. He wanted to save people money on the brake drums and decided to get them produced and has been very successful with them. He has many people endoring his drums including Les Andrews. He also wanted for me to continue with his passion and hobby, which is an honor and that I am doing. Please feel free to email me or call me. I work in his garage in Montebello every Saturday and you are more than welcome to come and see.
Thanks Randy Gross [email protected] 714-292-8660
Mel Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:04 AM   #10
stallerl

Randy, Sorry to hear about your Dad's passing. From our phone conversations it was apparent that you guys took a tremendous amount of pride in your products and service. I'm sure you will do your Dad proud by continuing his passion for Model A's and their owners. GOD bless you and your family...