Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-07-2019, 09:17 PM   #1
Austincarnut

Default Anyone running Rochester 2GC carb?

I'm looking for some feedback on someone running a 2GC carb on a flathead. I'm thinking of going this route on my 239 w/ a mallory dual point dist. I'd like to pick your brain(s)...
thank you
Austincarnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:53 PM   #2
Scotty's 52 F3

Default Re: Anyone running Rochester 2GC carb?

I just put a 2G (manual choke) on mine with a dual point.
Scotty's 52 F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:17 AM   #3
36coupe

I’m also interested on putting one on my 255 merc engine, that I have a 4 bolt intake for.
Where is the best place to purchase one and any specific size or specs to look?
Is porting needed to match up the bore.
36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:19 AM   #4
tubman

I'm running a 2GC on my '51 Ford with a '51 Merc engine. I have an aluminum Canadian Mercury manifold that I have bored out all the way down to the 2G throttle bore size. If you mount the carburetor backwards, the fuel and throttle hookups almost fall into place by themselves. A manual choke is a problem because it wants to pull the wrong way. I solved this by utilizing an automatic choke. The Mercury's originally came with an automatic choke, so there are provisions for one. The 2GC has an integral choke and the Mercury heat tube hooked right up to it after shortening it a bit. It has been in the upper 30's low 40's here in Minnesota this spring and the car starts easily. One pump to set the choke, hit the switch and it's running. I am extremely happy with the way the car runs and performs. As said before, you should not use the stock distributor with this setup, so I have installed a Mallory dual point. With this setup, along with a set of "massaged" Edmunds heads, I can easily keep up with traffic.

I liked this setup so well, I decided to make another one using the cast iron manifold from the '51 Mercury engine. I also bored this out all the way down (a task that was easier than I had anticipated) and mounted the carburetor backwards. The '51 Mercury used a "divorced" choke (the choke mechanism is mounted on the manifold rather the the carburetor), so on this one, I used a 2GV that is designed for this kind of operation. Again, the linkage almost fell into place, with just a slight bending of the choke rod necessary to make it work. I had this mounted on my "Hot Rod" engine on my test stand for initial start up, and it also performed flawlessly.

As to which carburetor to use, you should be aware that the vast majority of 2G's out there are what are referred to as "large base" and will not fit on the Mercury manifold without an adapter (which defeats the whole purpose). What you need is a "small base" version that came on late '50's Chevrolets and a few other vehicles. These are becoming quite hard to find and the price of cores is climbing. They come in three varieties, those with manual chokes (2G's), those with integral chokes (2GC's), and those with the divorced chokes (2GV's). Ideally, you would want to match the carburetor type to the Mercury manifold, but as I said before, small base carbs are hard enough to find without trying to zero in on a specific type.

If you want. I can post pictures of both setups later.

Last edited by tubman; 05-08-2019 at 07:21 AM.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:34 AM   #5
oldbugger

All good info above. Mine came off early 283, works great in my bored 255 merc, with bubbas chev dist. Paul
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:24 AM   #6
alanwoodieman

used one from a 307 chev (49 F1) and also one from a v6 buick (41 3/4 t)-which works better, made my own choke connection
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5160004.jpg (70.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg P5160003.jpg (54.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg P5160001.jpg (76.5 KB, 72 views)
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:38 AM   #7
scicala

Small base 2GC's were used on Chevrolet 283's at least until 1967. Maybe even later on 307's. Should be a zillion out there.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:01 AM   #8
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
Small base 2GC's were used on Chevrolet 283's at least until 1967. Maybe even later on 307's. Should be a zillion out there.

Sal
You're right; there SHOULD be a bunch out there, but I'm having an increasingly hard time finding good cores at a reasonable price. They're like a lot of things out there; ten or fifteen years ago, they were all over the place, but now surprisingly hard to find or too expensive. I'm having the same problem with WCFB and 4G cores.

Last edited by tubman; 05-08-2019 at 11:05 AM.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:06 AM   #9
Pete Fl/Wi

Here is the engine for my 38 coupe build. A mild flathead with a Rochester 2g on a aluminum Merc intake.This one is 350 CFM. The aluminium intakes are from Canada. I have used this setup on two other builds.no problems ,easy to adjust..Ol'Ron turned me onto 2g's several years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180813_190252.jpg (98.4 KB, 61 views)
Pete Fl/Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:33 AM   #10
Ol' Ron

When going to this carb I found the stock jetting to be spot on for a mild Flathead build. Boring the intake as Tubnan said is a must if you want to get the best performance from the carb. now with that said, I find the distributor to be the important part of the system. Yes a SBC dist with 16 degrees mach. adv at 2K and 8 degrees vac adv. Set initial adv at 4 degs. Low end torque is increadable and the fuel mileage is great. It's one of the best intake systems you can put on a mild street flathead.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:20 PM   #11
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
You're right; there SHOULD be a bunch out there, but I'm having an increasingly hard time finding good cores at a reasonable price. They're like a lot of things out there; ten or fifteen years ago, they were all over the place, but now surprisingly hard to find or too expensive. I'm having the same problem with WCFB and 4G cores.

Those 2GC's should be dirt cheap, but a lot of people want to charge as much as they can because the part is an antique. What a joke to me especially since they probably have had it for years sitting around. Sometimes greed prevails. Not my style.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:34 PM   #12
skidmarks

Tri power intakes have a lot to do with the cost of good cores. Especially now that you can buy new tri power bases for the end carburetors.

They were used on a lot of motors.not just 283s

Check out what a good high choke large base WCFB costs.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote