Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-19-2017, 01:57 PM   #21
CarlG

Default Re: Removing side mount tires-how ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom F OHIO View Post
Mr. Chauvin, If your wheel is still attached to the plate I guess I don't understand how do you get the large nut off on the arm?
Thank You.....
You have to take the hub cap off to get at the large nut on the arm.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:27 PM   #22
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike657894 View Post
the tires are over the spec that the well was designed for. or the well was put in slightly incorrectly. This reminds me i still haven't found a good jack to put in my car yet. its not on the roads yet.

You are spot-on. Ironically, a Coker Firestone 19" will fit in & out of an original welled fender fully inflated. For those that might be struggling with accepting this as fact, might I suggest you order a factory print that has the correct measurements and do a comparison towards the fender that won't. More often than not, most restorers (-including the gentleman at the Hershey show) do not install the well correctly. In addition, the repro well is not shaped correctly which compounds the egress issue.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WellPrint_Notice.jpg (63.0 KB, 29 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:44 PM   #23
H. L. Chauvin

Mr. Carl G.,

Per your: "You have to take the hub cap off to get at the large nut on the arm."

Exactly!

I shaped the tabs on this particular SS spare tire hub cap where this hub cap comes off very easily with my sharpened Popsicle stick that I keep in my tool bag.

Something I noticed was that this is an original spare tire carrier riveted to the chassis on this August 1930 Briggs Town Sedan.

The threaded end of the spare tire carrier had no drilled hole for a cotter pin, and even though the nuts offered by Model A parts suppliers are castellated nuts, this spare tire nut is a solid hexagonal nut & not castellated for a cotter pin to be inserted in same.

The longer modified and provided slot in the steel spare tire backing plate makes Model A 550-19 inflated spare tire removal and insertion in an original fender well a very easy chore.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 09-19-2017 at 02:56 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #24
Tom F OHIO

I thought about the idea of taking the hub cap off but my luck at the end of the day I would look and have an empty hole on the wheel. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Tom F OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:16 PM   #25
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Mr. Carl G.,

Per your: "You have to take the hub cap off to get at the large nut on the arm."

Exactly!

I shaped the tabs on this particular SS spare tire hub cap where this hub cap comes off very easily with my sharpened Popsicle stick that I keep in my tool bag.

Something I noticed was that this is an original spare tire carrier riveted to the chassis on this August 1930 Briggs Town Sedan.

The threaded end of the spare tire carrier had no drilled hole for a cotter pin, and even though the nuts offered by Model A parts suppliers are castellated nuts, this spare tire nut is a solid hexagonal nut & not castellated for a cotter pin to be inserted in same.

The longer modified and provided slot in the steel spare tire backing plate makes Model A 550-19 inflated spare tire removal and insertion in an original fender well a very easy chore.

Henry, I don't want to question you, -nor do I ever want to be guilty of the appearance of debating you on this subject however I would like to point out something to others in this so that misconceptions by folks aren't encountered on down the road.

First, when you look up the A-1405 and A-1405-B Wheel Carrier Support (i.e.: side-mount arm) in both the Oct 1929 and July 1931 Ford parts books, it specifies both of these different arms were to use an A-21894 nut, and an A-23552 cotter pin. No where do I find it mentioning using anything other than a castellated nut during assembly or for this application.

Second, in the early 1970s when "DeLuxifying" a Model-A was the trend for many restorers, Tommy Trailor (Specialized Auto) was manufacturing kits to put dual side-mounts on front fenders, -and to the best of my recollection, his did not have the hole for the cotter as that was something you could drill yourself and he could make them cheaper.

Therefore, I am not going to say or imply Mr. Chauvin's carrier support arm is not authentic, however I do want to point out that if indeed his Sedan's arm is original yet sans the cotter hole, that was not the intent of Ford on his vehicles during that production time.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-19-2017, 05:48 PM   #26
BILL WILLIAMSON

A ROOF mounted spare would be a solution.
Bill Creative
Old 09-19-2017, 06:27 PM   #27
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
A ROOF mounted spare would be a solution.
Bill Creative
NOW you're on to something kinda like the British Range Rover from the movie It's a Mad Mad Mad World!!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #28
H. L. Chauvin

Mr. Terry,

Thanks for your response & your sharing details of what I think is very important authentic information. Even though the present carrier is riveted with what seems to be a good riveting job, I found this spare tire/no cotter pin hole extremely odd in that all new replacement nuts offered are made to have cotter pin holes.

The former (20) year owner in 1996 said this Town Sedan had new upholstery and new paint from the former (10) year owner; but everything else was original. I can see where when original, it was all black but now is green. With (30) years prior to my buying it in 1996, this fits your mentioned Mr. Tommy Trailer's manufacturing time frame.

With your detailed information, this could be a reproduction spare tire carrier.

Thanks.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 09-19-2017 at 08:20 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:28 AM   #29
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Mr. Terry,

Thanks for your response & your sharing details of what I think is very important authentic information. Even though the present carrier is riveted with what seems to be a good riveting job, I found this spare tire/no cotter pin hole extremely odd in that all new replacement nuts offered are made to have cotter pin holes.

The former (20) year owner in 1996 said this Town Sedan had new upholstery and new paint from the former (10) year owner; but everything else was original. I can see where when original, it was all black but now is green. With (30) years prior to my buying it in 1996, this fits your mentioned Mr. Tommy Trailer's manufacturing time frame.

With your detailed information, this could be a reproduction spare tire carrier.

Thanks.
Adding to this, the bracket is riveted to the frame, -which could indeed be original, yet the support carrier arm could have been replaced along the way.

Also, is it possible the threaded section of your arm has had a few of the threads cut-off or removed to shorten it? An easy give-away on that would be to look for a drilled center of the carrier where it would have been centered during the original threading operation.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-20-2017, 08:33 AM   #30
BILL WILLIAMSON

In my OLD DAYS, spares on the roofs were VERY COMMON, sometimes even in a STACK!
Bill Route66
Old 09-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #31
HalcyonDays

I too was having this problem with my '31 Deluxe Roadster. I purchased this car restored. What I discovered was that the mounting plates on either side of my dual side mounted roadster were mirror images of each other. When I exchanged them, put the left side on the right side and right side on the left the wheel was able to fit without a problem. I figured this out by comparing the side mounts to the side mount on my pickup that allowed the wheel to be mounted without a problem. I am not sure this is correct but it worked for me. The pickup like most pickups has only one side mount.
HalcyonDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:22 PM   #32
gary678*

Thanks again! All good info! Gary D.
gary678* is offline   Reply With Quote