Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #1
[email protected]

Default driver's door squeaks due to rubber inserts top and bottom and in the latch

My '29 coupe has a driver's door that squeaks going down the road due to rubber being replaced at the top and bottom and in the latch. How do I stop this?
jkeller@nerej.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:04 PM   #2
jw hash

Default Re: driver's door squeaks due to rubber inserts top and bottom and in the latch

why is there rubber in the latch?. there should rubber in the female dove tail a long with a metal liner.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
[email protected]

Default Re: driver's door squeaks due to rubber inserts top and bottom and in the latch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw hash View Post
why is there rubber in the latch?. there should rubber in the female dove tail a long with a metal liner.
There is new rubber behind the metal curved receptacle. But it may be contributing to the squeaks. It's hard to pinpoint while driving down the road...
Old 10-12-2018, 02:20 PM   #4
kbinde2

I think he may be referring to the rubber pad at the top of the door, and the bottom rubber in the clip. He also refers to the latch (dovetail) rubber with the metal spring clip I am assuming. All or some may need trimming and fitting to allow the door to close properly. .. JMO/kb
kbinde2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:46 PM   #5
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinde2 View Post
I think he may be referring to the rubber pad at the top of the door, and the bottom rubber in the clip. He also refers to the latch (dovetail) rubber with the metal spring clip I am assuming. All or some may need trimming and fitting to allow the door to close properly. .. JMO/kb
Hi-

Yes you are correct. I did trim the top and bottom rubber inserts down to where they just stick out in front of the metal clips that seat them. It did not make any difference. I also tried coating the rubber with silicone which did not help either.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:54 PM   #6
WHN

Rubber at top and bottom of door should be all that is needed to make door fit tight.

How loose was the door before rubber inserts we added. What condition are your hinges in?
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:07 PM   #7
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
Rubber at top and bottom of door should be all that is needed to make door fit tight.

How loose was the door before rubber inserts we added. What condition are your hinges in?
The hinges are in good shape. I've owned the car (1929 coupe) since 1963 and have never taken the doors off. I did take the body off to have it painted and had to adjust the rubber shims when it was put back on. I can feel the door move in and out slightly driving down the road. The passenger door does not squeak.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #8
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The hinges are in good shape. I've owned the car (1929 coupe) since 1963 and have never taken the doors off. I did take the body off to have it painted and had to adjust the rubber shims when it was put back on. I can feel the door move in and out slightly driving down the road. The passenger door does not squeak.
You should be able to adjust the door latch in or out with two screws. If the door is moving out, adjust it so door is tighter to body. If latch is worn, they sell reproductions. Unless frame/body is bent adjusting door should not be hard.

Latch, and two rubber shims. If hinges are good, that’s really all you have. Keep us informed on how it goes. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:51 PM   #9
Synchro909

If all else fails, a little dry lube of some sort on the rubbers will quieten thing down. I'd use ppowdered graphite.
Better to get things right in the first place though.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:23 PM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

Spray ALL the rubbers with PAM! It'll LUBE your can opener, too!
Bill Slick
Old 10-13-2018, 10:43 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Lubricate door rubber and latches with bee's wax, the same thing toilet setting wax rings are made from.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:17 AM   #12
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
If all else fails, a little dry lube of some sort on the rubbers will quieten thing down. I'd use powdered graphite.
Better to get things right in the first place though.
I use B'laster Graphite Dry Lube on items like this. Also use sparingly on window channels. makes the windows slide with ease. Be careful NOT to overspray on painted surfaces as it will stain.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote