Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2018, 09:24 AM   #1
fundytides

Default 31 Roadster doors

What's your experience with buying replacement door for a 31 Roadster? Do all vendors sell doors from the same manufacturer? If not, who make the ones closest to original? What about the ones made by Brookville Roadster?
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:32 AM   #2
Oldbluoval

Default Re: 31 Roadster doors

Brookville is the only one as I know
Good repo but not exact for fine point
Otherwise go for it
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:22 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

To my knowledge, Antique Auto Sheetmetal (Brookville) only manufactures the inner panel. Albrecht is the one making the outter skin. Depending on your skill level, the skin can be modified to authentically resemble the original skin. If that is the direction you are going, I would purchase either one or both panels and modify before joining the two.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:35 AM   #4
Marshall V. Daut

Check the classified ad section on this website. Someone was selling a pair of these doors a while ago. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206751. They have been advertised for quite some time and the ad was just recently renewed. The price seems high to me for the condition of the doors, but maybe the seller would listen to a reasonable, non-insulting counteroffer?
There are a couple advantages to buying original doors instead of repops. I hear the repops match the lines of the repop Brookville bodies, but not those on original bodies. It would be obvious that they are not original doors. Also, these are originals. That's a big plus. They'll fit and look right. Even with some body work that needs to be performed on these doors, they're bound to be a better value than buying repops, which by their definition will always be fakes. Trying to mix and match repop skins with original door cages will be a frustrating experience and may actually end up costing you more money and frustration rather than buying these original doors and repairing them.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:13 PM   #5
Purdy Swoft

I agree with Marshall . I found a good original door for the passenger side of our roadster .I wasn't sure but felt that a repro door wouldn't fit exactly the same as an original door . Even though the good original door cost more than the new repro , I wanted our roadster to be real model A as much as I could possibly make it .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:21 PM   #6
Marshall V. Daut

...And you saved an original part from being scrapped! Besides, it makes a better story anyway rather than telling people you bought a repo door. ANYBODY can do that. But how many people are willing and able to put the time, effort and money into massaging a rough original door back to life? Good on you!
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:41 PM   #7
fundytides

Thanks for your input everyone. My original doors are pretty rough but maybe repairing them is the right way to go. I have bought repair panels for the bottom outside along with new channels for the weather strip. Some other work will be needed but maybe it's worth it. In the meantime I may also look into buying used original doors that are in better shape than mine.
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:06 PM   #8
JRShaw

Gentlemen: Can anyone tell me the difference between the Brookville Roadster door profile and an original Henry Ford steel one?? Just wondering as I sat reading these posts. Thank You in Advance.
JRShaw is offline   Reply With Quote