Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-13-2018, 09:02 AM   #1
JRShaw

Smile Front motor mount question

Gentlemen: Has anyone seen an engine in the car with the front motor mount flange (part above the dimpled plate) that does not completely touch the plate underneath?? My late '31 Truck has the flange resting on this dimpled plate, and all seems to be as it should. My second project has all of the correct standard parts (as far as I know), but the flange is a bit above the dimpled plate. The engine would NOT go down even with no front support, as well as the rear motor mounts very much loosened. Has anyone seen this, and should I be concerned?? The rest of this project is sterling, but need to ask. Thank You for reading this far!
JRShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:14 AM   #2
100IH

Default Re: Front motor mount question

Some of the reproduction upper springs are too long, in fact many have been for a long time. That is the probable cause for the yolk riding above the spring plate. Go to Marco's website for a good explanation.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:33 AM   #3
krzewinskibe

There was a recent thread on the upper springs. I'm pretty sure the ones that I had originally installed were from Brattons. Based on that thread, I just purchased a set from Berts and swapped them last night. The ones from Berts are clearly different. The ones I bought earlier where definately stronger springs and had coil bind at ~1.125". The Berts ones didn't coil bind until about .875"
Old 04-14-2018, 01:19 PM   #4
JRShaw

Guys - I am talking about a situation with zero springs, the front motor mount removed, and NO support at the front of the engine. Rear motor mounts very loose, no springs of any sort, and the forged bracket removed. The engine would not go down; there is a space in between the forged front motor mount and the dimpled plate that rests on the frame. Has anyone encountered this situation??? Thx.
JRShaw is offline   Reply With Quote