Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2017, 07:55 AM   #1
leo

Question MP3 Tunes in Model A, Headphones to Aux. Input?

I'm looking for a radio technician on this one. I've got a nice GE portable radio that has a headphones output jack, no aux. input. I would like to have an aux. input jack so I can play tunes in my coupe. I want to replace the output jack with an input jack in the same location. No schematics please because I'm electrically challenged, just an explanation on the possibility and someone who could do this for me would be most appreciated.
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:05 AM   #2
Sparky

Default Re: MP3 Tunes in Model A, Headphones to Aux. Input?

Is is just a radio or a radio/tape/cd combination? If it is a combo it may be possible, otherwise it's a long shot.

A better solution may be a small bluetooth speaker. Many of them have an aux input.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:27 AM   #3
P.S.

You cannot turn an output into an input. Apples and oranges.

You need some electronic knowledge to find the discriminator section of the FM tuner, or the audio amp section to 'hack' in a switch and jack to insert line level audio directly to the speaker/headphone amplifier stage.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:45 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Yep, you'd be much better off just looking for a small pair of amplified stereo speakers. I bought a pair at the local second hand store for under $5, and they run on 6 volts. I see them quite often in the second hand stores.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:18 PM   #5
tagroff

I have a Bose wireless speaker and I Bluetooth connect to it from my phone and can listen to any of my music. Might give that a try.

1928 Roadster Pick Up
tagroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:48 PM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagroff View Post
I have a Bose wireless speaker and I Bluetooth connect to it from my phone and can listen to any of my music. Might give that a try.
My son has one of those Sonos wireless speakers, and he plays music thru Bluetooth from his phone, and it has NO trouble whatsoever covering-up noisy equipment throughout his 1,500 sq. ft. shop!! I have often thought about how nice it would be to hide a couple of speakers behind the kick panels, or under the package tray and have hidden tunes while on tour.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:32 PM   #7
leo

OK I'm flummoxed, why is it that it's so much simpler to toss something perfectly functional away and buy another one that has the features you want then to alter the one you have? I know I'm beating a dead horse here but think of the Model A, everything was made to be serviced and repaired, never tossed and replaced. It is truly a sad state of affairs.....
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #8
RonC

Bluetooth to a cell phone is the way to go
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:22 PM   #9
Bruce Adams

I have a small Bluetooth speaker that will blow your ears off and fits in the package tray. It also bluetooths phone calls so you can hands free receive a call and volume to speak into and hear over top down road and wind noise.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:26 PM   #10
Bruce Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
OK I'm flummoxed, why is it that it's so much simpler to toss something perfectly functional away and buy another one that has the features you want then to alter the one you have? I know I'm beating a dead horse here but think of the Model A, everything was made to be serviced and repaired, never tossed and replaced. It is truly a sad state of affairs.....
I guess its the same as why you can't make a perfect orange into a perfect apple.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:48 PM   #11
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
It all depends upon your skillset.

For an electronics hobbiest, what you want to do would be easy. I could probably do it in under 10 minutes using parts out of ye olde junque box. However, I cannot turn a Model A motor into an air compressor. But I bet some of you mechanical experts could!
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:28 AM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
It all depends upon your skillset.

For an electronics hobbiest, what you want to do would be easy. I could probably do it in under 10 minutes using parts out of ye olde junque box. However, I cannot turn a Model A motor into an air compressor. But I bet some of you mechanical experts could!
Actually, I think changing the A engine to a compressor is easier than reverse engineering the radio to find the input section of the audio amplifier and adding the parts to match the input of the device you want to while keeping the unit working as a radio when the input os removed.

The A engine to a compressor, change the head add a governor and that's about it.