Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #61
Ross/Kzoo

Default Re: Model A motor froze-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyModelA View Post
Thanks, Rusty.
Wished I'd gone the 50/50 before I did the MMO.
Now, if I can figure out how to drain out all that MMO . . .
I'm going to keep trying any "unsticker" that will possibly work.
Betsy, I don't think that you are to that point yet. After you get that motor spinning most the MMO will come out of the spark plug holes and past the valves to the crankcase. That is good thing to have the MMO around the valves and valve stems. At that point you may want to remove the drain plug and see what comes out besides oil.

Last edited by Ross/Kzoo; 08-24-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #62
BetsyModelA

montanafordman,
I posted a picture of Betsy on my profile page. Haven't figured out how to get it out of there.
BetsyModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #63
BetsyModelA

Aha! The more I hear the more things make sense. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #64
anteek

First try removing the starter. i've found many with the starter drive hung up and not just Model A's. Acetone and Atf works if it is actually stuck. Then load it on a trailer,chain it loosely and put it in high gear. drag aroung with you and watch the fan blade as the car tries to roll. i've had tractors free in a trip to lonch. Worst one took two days of following me. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!
anteek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #65
Barber31

My engine was stuck about 3 weeks ago also. What I did to settle my curiosity was remove the oil pan and dry every piston and rod really good. So when I poured the mixture in each cylinder I could clearly see from the bottom of the engine which cylinder was allowing the fluid to leak past the rings. The dry piston and rod is the culprit. The one stuck. Eventually I still pulled the head off to which I was glad I did due to the number 1 cylinder being severely gouged from a broken locking pin and moving piston pin.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #66
BetsyModelA

Glad it worked for you, Barber 31. Sounds like work to me, but if I hafta, I hafta.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #67
BetsyModelA

Anteek, thanks. Will keep posting progress - when I get some.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #68
BetsyModelA

Happy for your success. Mine is yet to come.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #69
Terry, NJ

I know this was well intentioned, But.... You're asking a woman who has very limited mechanical experience to crawl underneath a truck that's been sitting in place for over 50 years. Then know how to take a oil pan down. At some point she's going to have to put it back, new gaskets and all. A Formidable task to be sure. In fact, I regards taking an oil pan down as a really rotten job and I know what's involved. Think of what could go wrong for a person who has never done it before. I believe this engine can be freed without taking it apart. In fact I think that she's almost there with the crank starting to move.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber31 View Post
My engine was stuck about 3 weeks ago also. What I did to settle my curiosity was remove the oil pan and dry every piston and rod really good. So when I poured the mixture in each cylinder I could clearly see from the bottom of the engine which cylinder was allowing the fluid to leak past the rings. The dry piston and rod is the culprit. The one stuck. Eventually I still pulled the head off to which I was glad I did due to the number 1 cylinder being severely gouged from a broken locking pin and moving piston pin.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #70
Mitch//pa
BANNED

wouldnt it be something if it turned out to be a frozen brake drum and stuck clutch disc.

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 08-24-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #71
Terry, NJ

What comes Next! Betsey, when you do get it to turn over, remember, there is rust on the cylinder walls and the camshaft and other parts as well. This rust rubs off and gets into the oil as an abrasive particle, much like sand. And much like sand, they can destroy the engine. It is a balancing act to know how long you should take to get this contaminated oil out of the system. Too long and you risk damage, too soon and you don't get enough of the particles. The old story I heard was about ten minutes at idle speed. Then it has to be changed. When it's changed, pour a qt. of diesel/fuel oil through the engine to flush what ever particles are left behind. This will begin the desludgeing process. Put the cheapest DETERGENT oil you can find. After about five hours (of running) or so, Drain this oil out and replace with a somewhat better quality oil. Terry
Old 08-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #72
Terry, NJ

YES!!! I know why a Dr won't diagnose over the phone! You try to think of everything! Without seeing it, it's all a guessing game, but with probabilities.
Mod A engines are prone to seizing up after long periods of inactivity. Same with my Allis Chalmers. I had to free the engine up[, The previous owner hadn't started it in about three years. MMO did the trick for me. That is the
the 1938 A.C. mod B in my profile.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
wouldnt it be something if it turned out to be a frozen brake drum and stuck clutch disc.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:50 AM   #73
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Yo, Bro, Dog here,
Think about it Sonny Boy, Iffin' the disc wuz stuk, wouldn't matter none, iffin' the transfuselator wuz in NEUTRAL! (Thet's where the stick will WOBBLE side to side, like in the middle uf the "H" pattern! (BUT, I cain't shift it fer you, NO THUMBS)
Buster T.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #74
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Yo, Bro, Dog here,
Think about it Sonny Boy, Iffin' the disc wuz stuk, wouldn't matter none, iffin' the transfuselator wuz in NEUTRAL! (Thet's where the stick will WOBBLE side to side, like in the middle uf the "H" pattern! (BUT, I cain't shift it fer you, NO THUMBS)
Buster T.
Very good u passed bro
Ill send you a bone
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #75
BetsyModelA

Terry, NJ
You got me pegged. All suggestions given have given me both a heavy-heart of defeat before I get going, and yet, a desire to keep going.

I'm going to keep trying. I'll report if I get ANY success. If not, I'll try another suggestion. I do have "cheap" oil on hand for a flush. I also have ATF and acetone on hand for another option. I've been trying to get the plug out of the oil pan, but it, too, is stuck. I sprayed it with liquid wrench, leaving it to penetrate. Will give it another try today.

Yes, I'm a 72-year-old woman, with a new mechanical passion. Thanks, Fellows.

Last edited by BetsyModelA; 08-27-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:59 AM   #76
Ross/Kzoo

It didn't get stuck overnight and it won't get unstuck overnight. Just keep "plugging" away. Sorry I couldn't resist that one. When loosening stuck bolts/plugs sometimes a little force in the opposite direction will help loosening.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #77
Rusty Homestead Fl

"All suggestions given have given me both a heavy-heart of defeat before I get going, and yet, a desire to keep going"

DON'T YOU DARE LET IT BEAT YOU!!!. If there's one thing us old farts have learned over the years is patience. If it doesn't break loose today, it's just not ready yet. So you wait for the next day, or the next one. It'll come. Just keep bumpin' it.
Rusty Homestead Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #78
Tom Wesenberg

I wouldn't worry about draining the pan yet, but it would be nice to loosen the plug to see if antifreeze comes out first. It it does, then it might be time to take the engine apart. I had to do a GM inline 6 that was stored for 5 or 6 years with antifreeze that leaked into the cylinders. It was stuck very tight and I had to pull the head, pan and pistons out to get it unstuck and give it an overhaul. If antifreeze doesn't come out the drain plug that's a very good sign and I'd keep rocking the car back and forth in high gear.

I do like the idea of chained loose on a trailer, then towing it around as a way to loosen a stuck engine.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #79
George Miller

Like Tom I have a old starter with a nut welded on the end of of the armature shaft. Not as nice as Tom's but does the job. At this point it would break it loose, always works. If you have a old starter try it. Tom gave you some good advice.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #80
Bob C

I know there are no MAFCA or MARC clubs in North Dakota but maybe someone with
a roster can see if there are any members in ND that could help.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote