Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2019, 06:55 AM   #1
Ray64

Default Jumper wire

I got a problem somewhere. The car quit running with the popout switch. I took it out and had it tested. It tested out as perfect. So I put a jumper from coil to the condenser on the side of dizzy. Car runs fine that way. Then if you turn key off engine stops. Turn key on will start rt up. Disconect jumper will not run. So what you think problem might be? T. I. A. RAY
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:19 AM   #2
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll
Default Re: Jumper wire

The wire from the switch to the dist is shorted to ground.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:50 AM   #3
Joe K

I assume your "jumpering" is being done with the Electroswitch in place - as in normal?

And when you turn the key off (push in) Electrosw grounds the live circuit?

Um - that is what it is supposed to do and indicates the armor cable and that part of the switch action is ok.

Electroswitch is set up to make the center cable "live" on pop-out and "grounded" on push-in/lock.

What may not be ok is the contact in the switch which makes the center wire "live."

You may have an issue with the wiring feeding the Electroswitch. Check out the wiring diagram at https://lesmodela.files.wordpress.co...ng-diagram.pdf The red wire is what I would look at.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 09-11-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:16 AM   #4
Kurt in NJ

perhaps the lower plate shorts when the popout is screwed in, many repros are made with thinner metal that distorts easy
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:35 AM   #5
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray64 View Post
I got a problem somewhere. The car quit running with the popout switch. I took it out and had it tested. It tested out as perfect. So I put a jumper from coil to the condenser on the side of dizzy. Car runs fine that way. Then if you turn key off engine stops. Turn key on will start rt up. Disconect jumper will not run. So what you think problem might be? T. I. A. RAY
Seems backwards. If your cable is shorted like Kurt says, the car will run with the jumper installed and the key off. When you turn the key on the car will die because the coil is grounded. (And it will run the battery down.)
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #6
TerryO

Quote:
Seems backwards. If your cable is shorted like Kurt says, the car will run with the jumper installed and the key off. When you turn the key on the car will die because the coil is grounded. (And it will run the battery down.)
+1...You have an open lead not a grounded lead. You might take a look in the terminal box for a loose connection

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #7
Jim Brierley

I'm definitely not an electrician, but always thought the stock ignition was set to ground the points, thru the armored cable, when ignition key is turned on, and there was power to the points from the coil at all times. If so, your existing wire from the coil to the points has an 'open' in it. Replace the stock wire and all should be normal. Note: I don't wire my A's like that so I could be mistaken???
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:48 PM   #8
TerryO

Look at the wiring diagram and you will see that if the switch and the wire in the armored cable has tested good then it has to be the red wire open or a loose connection in the terminal box. By installing a jumper wire you are bypassing the red wire, the switch and the wire in the armored cable until the pop-out switch grounds the circuit and kills the ignition.

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:02 AM   #9
Ray64

Jumper wire update Seems like the popout ign. switch was indeed bad after it was deemed ok. There is a small contact inside the back cover that was intermittent . So all is well so far. Going to change the popout with a on off one from the vendors Thanks for all the responses. On guy hit it on the head RAY
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:47 PM   #10
Purdy Swoft

My cars are not point show cars . I have always avoided the pop out switches for fear of problems that would be difficult to get to . I do use the armored cable through the terminal box just for an original look . I use a look alike aftermarket switch .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote