Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-03-2019, 04:48 AM   #1
dmaxweb

Default DIY Windlace

All of the available windlace I've seen is expensive, not close to the original cloth, and has a 1/2" foam core. Has anyone just made their own? Use upholstery fabric, gray in my case, that is at least compatible with the interior and 3/8"OD thin wall EDPM rubber tubing for the core. Simple enough to sew. A fraction of the cost of ready made and for a driver, would seem like the way to go.
dmaxweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:00 AM   #2
Hoovercw

Default Re: DIY Windlace

I did. I used Nylon rope for the core. It bends the corners much easier than rubber or foam. I used a zipper foot on my sewing machine and just took my time.
Hoovercw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:48 AM   #3
Bob Bidonde

The wind-lace in my kit from Classtique has a core of clear nylon tubing.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:02 AM   #4
rotorwrench

Nylon tube is very hard and solid. It doesn't give much when pressed against. Are you sure they didn't use vinyl tubing like Tygon? Soft flexible tubing is easier to finish the ends for both a capped effect and a joining of pieces at right angles to each other like Fordors have. EPDM tubingshould work fine. A person can use a rope inside the core if they want to preserve shape when sewing then pull the rope out when done or leave it if it feels right. The welt feet in 3/8" and 1/2" are available for all walking foot type sewing machines that I'm aware of. Regular sewing machines might be made to work OK but it's a lot easier with the walking foot types.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:51 AM   #5
Bob Bidonde

I stand corrected. The wind lace from Classtique has a core of Vinyl Tubing, not Nylon tubing.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:17 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxweb View Post
All of the available windlace I've seen is expensive, not close to the original cloth, and has a 1/2" foam core. Has anyone just made their own? Use upholstery fabric, gray in my case, that is at least compatible with the interior and 3/8"OD thin wall EDPM rubber tubing for the core. Simple enough to sew. A fraction of the cost of ready made and for a driver, would seem like the way to go.

We do. We make our own Windlace and Coachlace. I am in talks right now with a weaver about having the correct pattern material made for Windlace and Coachlace.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2401.jpg (23.2 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2402.jpg (66.9 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2403.jpg (99.6 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2404.jpg (49.9 KB, 117 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:58 AM   #7
Ruth

That looks nice Brent. Do you sell to the public or just use 'in-house' on cars you restore?
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:19 AM   #8
Gary Karr

I made mine on my early '28 Coupe just as Brent is making his. I used 3/8" vinyl tubing and died the coacklace to match the coachlace trim on the top of the door panels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2944.jpg (48.2 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2945.jpg (72.1 KB, 82 views)
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:07 PM   #9
dmaxweb

I just got back from my local auto upholstery shop.
He has this fabric in stock. It's more gray than in the picture but that's what I want. Not quite the correct pattern but close enough for me. Most ready made windlace I've seen is $16-$18 per yard. In my case, a half yard of fabric plus 25' 3/8" OD EDPM hollow tubing for $18 from Amazon and I'm happy.

Forgot to mention, it's not a points car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190903_125245.jpg (19.5 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by dmaxweb; 09-03-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:29 PM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
I just got back from my local auto upholstery shop.
He has this fabric in stock. It's more gray than in the picture but that's what I want. Not quite the correct pattern but close enough for me. Most ready made windlace I've seen is $16-$18 per yard. In my case, a half yard of fabric plus 25' 3/8" OD EDPM hollow tubing for $18 from Amazon and I'm happy.

Forgot to mention, it's not a points car.

No, I'm pretty sure you have made that abundantly clear to us!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-03-2019, 03:46 PM   #11
dmaxweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
No, I'm pretty sure you have made that abundantly clear to us!!

But, unlike a points car, it's abundantly clear that it's fun to actually drive it without worrying about a speck of dust on the fender or you neighbor sneezing on it! For me, I much rather drive the car than look at a made in China plastic trophy on the shelf. To each his own where to spend time and money.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:57 PM   #12
dumb person

I used hemp rope and off-cuts of cloth from the interior.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:16 PM   #13
dmaxweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb person View Post
I used hemp rope and off-cuts of cloth from the interior.
Very resourceful! Probably not the correct pattern fabric but I bet it functions well keeping the wind noise out.
Money saved on windlace = money to spend on beer. Cheers!
Old 09-03-2019, 04:19 PM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
But, unlike a points car, it's abundantly clear that it's fun to actually drive it without worrying about a speck of dust on the fender or you neighbor sneezing on it! For me, I much rather drive the car than look at a made in China plastic trophy on the shelf. To each his own where to spend time and money.

Actually, based on your comments, I feel pretty certain that you have no idea what Fine-Point is about, ...and my observations as someone who has restored to both levels, you are making some assumptions that are highly erroneous.

It is not my desire to engage in a debate with you about this, but I can assure you that just because you drive your car does not substantiate that you have more fun than someone who has spent the effort to restore to a standard. I will also tell you that most Fine-point car owners I know generally do not put their trophy on a shelf. Instead it is usually on display in their garage, and they often get their trophy out and drive it some.

Additionally, I think one of the biggest misconceptions that you have is the reason why someone builds/restores to a standard. Using your Windlace as an example, ...you have taken the time to find fabric and you are fabricating your own product that you believe is closer to being authentic that what is commercially available. You are to be commended. As Gary stated above, he did the same as you except he took it to the next level as he had the fabric made in the correct pattern and then dyed it to match. I'm sure you will agree that you were just looking for the challenge to see if you could make your own Windlace. The same thing with Gary, except he extended his challenge to authentically replicate something in its entirety. I know I enjoy the challenge of replicating to a standard and seeing if I can bring it to fruition. So please understand that anyone that makes a derogatory statement towards someone who has taken the time to research and execute in order to replicate an item to exacting standards really is shallow in their thinking and is being very judgmental about something they truly do not understand. After all, there will always be someone who is a better craftsman than each of us, and each of us can always find a craftsman with less talent than we have. Ridiculing someone who is better, -or worse in talent than us is not the way we get more talent.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-03-2019, 04:39 PM   #15
dmaxweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Actually, based on your comments, I feel pretty certain that you have no idea what Fine-Point is about, ...and my observations as someone who has restored to both levels, you are making some assumptions that are highly erroneous.

It is not my desire to engage in a debate with you about this, but I can assure you that just because you drive your car does not substantiate that you have more fun than someone who has spent the effort to restore to a standard. I will also tell you that most Fine-point car owners I know generally do not put their trophy on a shelf. Instead it is usually on display in their garage, and they often get their trophy out and drive it some.

Additionally, I think one of the biggest misconceptions that you have is the reason why someone builds/restores to a standard. Using your Windlace as an example, ...you have taken the time to find fabric and you are fabricating your own product that you believe is closer to being authentic that what is commercially available. You are to be commended. As Gary stated above, he did the same as you except he took it to the next level as he had the fabric made in the correct pattern and then dyed it to match. I'm sure you will agree that you were just looking for the challenge to see if you could make your own Windlace. The same thing with Gary, except he extended his challenge to authentically replicate something in its entirety. I know I enjoy the challenge of replicating to a standard and seeing if I can bring it to fruition. So please understand that anyone that makes a derogatory statement towards someone who has taken the time to research and execute in order to replicate an item to exacting standards really is shallow in their thinking and is being very judgmental about something they truly do not understand. After all, there will always be someone who is a better craftsman than each of us, and each of us can always find a craftsman with less talent than we have. Ridiculing someone who is better, -or worse in talent than us is not the way we get more talent.
Not looking to debate or lecture you. It should be abundantly clear to us that for me personally my time and money is much better spent elsewhere. I have an appreciation for fine-point (I also have some plastic trophys) but it's just not for me. As I said earlier, to each his own.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:17 PM   #16
mike657894

what was in there in my original interior looked like vacuum tube, but as a diy saver I would think a roll of clothesline rope would make a good substitute.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:11 PM   #17
Benson

save S & H Green stamps

Last edited by Benson; 09-07-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:46 AM   #18
burner31

I drive my car almost every day and I do not freak out when I get a bug Splat, a little dirt or some rain on it.
I take my car to car shows and let kids sit in it and play with the steering wheel and Horn and have their pictures taken and I let old people sit in it and reminisce of the old days, I even take my dog with me when I go out to the store, to me that is a fine points car.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #19
dmaxweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
I drive my car almost every day and I do not freak out when I get a bug Splat, a little dirt or some rain on it.
I take my car to car shows and let kids sit in it and play with the steering wheel and Horn and have their pictures taken and I let old people sit in it and reminisce of the old days, I even take my dog with me when I go out to the store, to me that is a fine points car.
I agree 100%! I do all of the same things. Wonderful experiences all around.
With the money I just saved on windlace alone, I can take the grand kids for ice cream the rest of the summer and bring beer to the next five club meetings. Hopefully that will help the guys not deduct points.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:24 PM   #20
rotorwrench

Most of the modern cloth that is woven as windlace with the two selvage edges seems to have a fairly raised weave to it. Worsted wool cloth does have an angular pattern to the weave of it but it's a lot flatter than the windlace cloth that I see out there. It would be interesting to see the original worsted wool windlace that Ford used to see how it looks. It' really wouldn't need a selvage edge on it either since that edge is usually hidden under the other trim.

The modern stuff resembles the stuff used later in the 40s & 50s but it's not quite the same as it either. Most folks have to take what is available but it would be nice to see if it could be fabricated more accurately to the OEM stuff.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-05-2019 at 12:43 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote