Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-07-2015, 06:03 AM   #1
Bruce of MN

Default Model A Book

My son, who is working at a canoe outfitter on the Gunflint Trail north of Duluth, gave me this book. It is pretty good, although the author claims to have easily hot wired it and to have replaced the cam gear beside the road. Amazon has it, for those interested.

Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:08 AM   #2
2manycars

Default Re: Model A Book

It can be hot wired, a bit of a chore if the original pop out ignition is in place, but pretty easy if not. I keep a wire with a screw in connector on one end and an alligator clip on the other end in my tool box, just in case.
The timing gear can be changed along side the road. It gets done occasionally at a national or regional meet. It's not a pleasant task, but can be done.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:56 AM   #3
Bruce of MN

In the book, the teeth are stripped and the way the cam was kept from turning while removing the nut is not described. Maybe a way to stuff a rag into the remaining teeth was used. They must have pulled the radiator to have clearance to get the pulley off and jack up the motor and remove the motor mount. All that would be a lot of work in your own garage, but if you can't afford a tow and know what to do, not unrealistic by the road.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #4
JohnLaVoy

Done many repairs along the road over the years. One of the nice things about the Model A is how easy it is to keep running.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:25 AM   #5
700rpm

I have changed a timing gear on the road. In a campground, to be exact. I had to remove the radiator, but altogether it was just a routine operation.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #6
Marshall V. Daut

Agreed on all points by the responders so far. 'Been there and 'done that. The worst part about changing the timing gear alongside INTERSTATE 80 (!!!!) is trying to get that $%*&^ nut loose that secures the gear to the crankshaft! If the previous owner or your builder used an air hammer to tighten it, you're going to be in a world of hurt trying to get it loose with a hammer and chisel or even with the special adapter socket (that always slips off and skins your knuckles). The last three timing gears I removed for friends and customers had to be heated with a torch to get them loose, which, of course, caused a small fire and a lot of smoke. Thank goodness that was in a garage, and not in the middle of the New Mexican desert. Don't ask how I know this.
I now only use the newer hexhead nut on the camshaft gear out of consideration for the next poor b*stard who will have to remove it alongside some lonesome highway long after I'm gone. He may still curse me for other things I have done to my cars, but not for that!
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:25 PM   #7
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

It's a good book, a reminiscence by an old guy whose teen years were like Huck Finn moved north and driving a Model A pickup! The pickup is a nearly human character, AND is still in the family!
The mechanical bits of the adventure, repairs, modifications, etc. are interesting... it is clear that some details are a bit hazy in the guy's memory, but if you know a bit about Model A's you can always figure out the details...in other words, all the memories are actual but a couple of details have shifted in the fog of 50 years. No fabrications, and nothing far enough off course to confuse us.
I really think almost everyone on this forum would enjoy it.
It brought back many memories for me...as a kid, I was driving around in my '48 Ford, breaking stuff and learning to fix it right there in the ditch. Almost every one of my disasters brought me in contact with an old codger who could teach me something about old Fords, too!
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:52 PM   #8
KGBnut

Actually, that is one of my favorite Model A books. Both my father and I enjoyed it.

Ken
Old 09-09-2015, 07:55 PM   #9
glenn in camino

If your Model Quits, that's the first thing to check. Remove the distributor body and hit the starter. If the points aren't opening, Your timing gear is shot.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:12 PM   #10
jeep44

I just ordered it, along with "The Ford Tramps". I need to get back to reading books like I used to, instead of spending so much time on the web.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:58 AM   #11
Marshall V. Daut

Along with what Glenn posted, if the timing gear has stripped, the engine will turn over much faster than usual because there is now no compression = the valves are not opening and closing because the camshaft is not turning or is only occasionally catching in the few remaining good teeth. A faster turning engine should be your first clue that the timing gear is toast. Watching the distributor shaft not turning will be the clincher, unless in the very rare case where the oil pump drive gear teeth have stripped. 99 out of 100 times, though, it will be the fiber timing gear that is at fault, not the metal oil pump drive gear.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:51 AM   #12
700rpm

Amazon offers this book from $10 up to $112. $112! How can that be? I think I'll order the cheaper one.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #13
1wonton
BANNED

I didn't get the name of the book.
1wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:35 PM   #14
Jack S.

I ordered the book through Amazon and it arrived today. Will read it when time permits. Thanks for the information. I am sure I might learn something that could be helpful at the side of the road.
Jack S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:22 AM   #15
Bruce of MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wonton View Post
I didn't get the name of the book.
If the pic in post #1 doesn't show, it's Two Bucks and a Can of Gas by Robert R. Olson.